End Parachute Money

Macintosh

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I can't imagine any footballer signing a contract if that was put in front of them ? Thing is, what alternatives are there??  The story says they need to come up with some, but don't mention any possibles...

Lots do tho, Player offered a contract with pay rise if they get promotion, If still signed on then the reduction sets in if relegated, If a player doesn't like the initial contract then don't sign it, Stay where you are on maybe a smaller wage, And hope one of the big 6 come and sign you who will most probably never be relegated.

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Well I'd love to see it...

Relegation clauses in every player's contract and filtering more money from television/sponsorship down the leagues is the only way to make it a more 'level' playing field IMO.

12 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Lots do tho, Player offered a contract with pay rise if they get promotion, If still signed on then the reduction sets in if relegated, If a player doesn't like the initial contract then don't sign it, Stay where you are on maybe a smaller wage, And hope one of the big 6 come and sign you who will most probably never be relegated.

Oh i know they have them, but can't imagine them agreeing to 70%  Most of them are around 30% tops.  Something needs to be done, cus it's a massive advantage to relegated sides.  Unless that relegated side is Middleborough...

Edited by ramsbottom

4 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

"with the vice-chairman of West Ham, Karren Brady, vocally defending the parachute payment system. Arguing that clubs would go bankrupt without the money, she wrote in the Sun that Tracey Crouch had “fallen into a do-gooder trap” by proposing reform. “Maybe Tracey and [EFL chair Rick] Parry confuse competition with fairness,” she wrote"

It's fair if the parachute payments are shared by other clubs, There is NO! competition when other clubs start off with a war chest of 10s of millions when relegated.

The smaller clubs in the Premier who fight against relegation most seasons will be against this proposal...imo

Heaven forbid ‘competition’ should ever be equated to ‘fairness’. 

14 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Heaven forbid ‘competition’ should ever be equated to ‘fairness’. 

Brady has a mute argument, the clubs which go bankrupt are those that try to compete with the clubs that receive the parachute payments of near 90 million over the 3 years after they are relegated.

Some other areas of unfairness in my opinion ...

If a promoted team avoids immediate relegation, Deloitte estimates that winning the play-off final could increase revenue by £135 million to £265 million in 2020.

During the 2018-19 season, the Premier League's 20 clubs shared £2.4 billion ($3 billion) in broadcast revenue.

A base of roughly £82.5 million ($104.4 million) per team, regardless of position, was guaranteed by the league.

Merit payments ranged from £1.9m for last-placed Huddersfield Town to £38.3m for champions Manchester City, while 'facility fees' were linked to the number of televised games.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Brady has a mute argument, the clubs which go bankrupt are those that try to compete with the clubs that receive the parachute payments of near 90 million over the 3 years after they are relegated.

Some other areas of unfairness in my opinion ...

If a promoted team avoids immediate relegation, Deloitte estimates that winning the play-off final could increase revenue by £135 million to £265 million in 2020.

During the 2018-19 season, the Premier League's 20 clubs shared £2.4 billion ($3 billion) in broadcast revenue.

A base of roughly £82.5 million ($104.4 million) per team, regardless of position, was guaranteed by the league.

Merit payments ranged from £1.9m for last-placed Huddersfield Town to £38.3m for champions Manchester City, while 'facility fees' were linked to the number of televised games.

As unfair as parachute payments seems to those feeding off the scraps in the championship, it also seems totally unfair that you’d have to spend every penny of your parachute payments and then some just to buy yourself a Jack grealish. It’s almost like they’re not enough if the intention is for promoted teams to be able to compete in the premier league. 

it’s just indicative that the whole system is broken from top to bottom. 

On 29/11/2021 at 15:19, ramsbottom said:

I can't imagine any footballer signing a contract if that was put in front of them ? Thing is, what alternatives are there??  The story says they need to come up with some, but don't mention any possibles...

I really want to hear what the alternatives are. Taking away parachute payments will certainly have the effect of making it far harder to stay in the Premier League after promotion as the jump in class is hard enough already, but without being able to commit to longer contracts with existing or new players promoted clubs are pretty much doomed. This would create a far more closed shop than exists currently where it is not that difficult to get promoted (we just make it look really, really hard). 

I keep saying that parachute payments should continue but there should be a handicapped points deduction around 16 points to make automatic promotion a less distinct probability. That way they can pay their bills but can’t almost guarantee  promotion 

There are far too many professional football clubs attempting to keep their heads above water.

Football in this country has sold out to money years ago and it cannot be reversed without removing the huge monetary rewards on offer at the top of the game and that will take legislation the the government won’t pass. Leaving football in this country to self regulation has failed.

The hard truth is that we are left with what we have and it’s a case of if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em.

The prem may be open to create prem 2 and allow promotion and relegation between the two with prize money distributed via league position 1 to 40.

Of course how do you chose 40 clubs?

Some are obvious but some are not. Plymouth as the only club out in the southwest should be in. There are far too many London clubs so two or three of them should be chucked out.

Football needs a major revamp but it needs streamlining and less professional clubs. The fa cup stays but the EFL after 132 years is finished as the two pro leagues will be run by the FA as is non league football.

I’m just spitballing ideas.

Even more radical is all clubs get out disbanded and 20 franchises created in locations around the country. I in Wales 2 in Scotland 1 in NI and the rest geographical spread around England focused on large population centres.

There’d be a huge clamour for 1 of these franchises with Billionaires globally bidding to get one, 

East Midlands United for example, playing out of a 100000 seater stadium near East Midlands Airport draw from Derby Notts and Leicester.

The mighty EMU a team to be feared.

Fans aren’t ready for this solution just yet I fear.

4 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

There are far too many professional football clubs attempting to keep their heads above water.

Football in this country has sold out to money years ago and it cannot be reversed without removing the huge monetary rewards on offer at the top of the game and that will take legislation the the government won’t pass. Leaving football in this country to self regulation has failed.

The hard truth is that we are left with what we have and it’s a case of if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em.

The prem may be open to create prem 2 and allow promotion and relegation between the two with prize money distributed via league position 1 to 40.

Of course how do you chose 40 clubs?

Some are obvious but some are not. Plymouth as the only club out in the southwest should be in. There are far too many London clubs so two or three of them should be chucked out.

Football needs a major revamp but it needs streamlining and less professional clubs. The fa cup stays but the EFL after 132 years is finished as the two pro leagues will be run by the FA as is non league football.

I’m just spitballing ideas.

Even more radical is all clubs get out disbanded and 20 franchises created in locations around the country. I in Wales 2 in Scotland 1 in NI and the rest geographical spread around England focused on large population centres.

There’d be a huge clamour for 1 of these franchises with Billionaires globally bidding to get one, 

East Midlands United for example, playing out of a 100000 seater stadium near East Midlands Airport draw from Derby Notts and Leicester.

The mighty EMU a team to be feared.

Fans aren’t ready for this solution just yet I fear.

Count me out

EMU will never fly

Edited by StrawHillRam