End Parachute Money

Macintosh

39 minutes ago, alram said:

i have for long said a PL 2 is needed, there is just too much of a financial difference between the championship / premier league and there is too many teams in this division as it is. 

the removal of parachute payments won't change the huge financial gap, a new division with better tv rights and a bigger spread of the share WILL reduce the gap and reduce the amount of teams willing to gamble with the club like Mel has done.

for me this is the only easy answer. The answer isnt take money off X club, the problem will always be there one way or another with a huge drop off in income with relegation.

The problem with a Premier League 2 is;

a) a large gap will then appear between PL2 and the new top division of the EFL.

b) we probably won't be in PL2 if it started next season! 

We don't need a PL2, we need a PL1, 2, 3 & 4. The gap betwen tv revenue can reduce a little bit between every single league place of the whole 92 clubs.  

Something like this existed before the "birth of football" in 1992! 

Well the EFL can actually do something about this and extremely quickly because as we know they make things up as they go along yet they only talk the talk about nasty parachute money.

they could for next season instantly say that any club receiving parachute payments automatically receive a 16 point handicap  deduction at the start of the season - the clubs can either accept the money if they need it or decline it, it’s so simple to do.

Parachute payments are an easy scapegoat for a problem that barely exists. In the last 8 years (from Mac1 period) an average of one relegated Premier League club has been immediately promoted the following season. It feels like it is more because last year it was 2 and this year may well be two, but that is far too early for this to be a trend. 

Theoretically, parachute payments mean higher wage bills and therefore much higher chance of promotion. The reality is that the toxic atmosphere created by relegation seemingly wipes this advantage out. 

2 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Parachute payments are an easy scapegoat for a problem that barely exists. In the last 8 years (from Mac1 period) an average of one relegated Premier League club has been immediately promoted the following season. It feels like it is more because last year it was 2 and this year may well be two, but that is far too early for this to be a trend. 

Theoretically, parachute payments mean higher wage bills and therefore much higher chance of promotion. The reality is that the toxic atmosphere created by relegation seemingly wipes this advantage out. 

Fulham centre forward on £100,000 per week which is more than the entire team he is facing every week, doesn’t seem fair or affordable without parachute money.

38 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Fulham centre forward on £100,000 per week which is more than the entire team he is facing every week, doesn’t seem fair or affordable without parachute money.

It doesn't seem fair, you're right. Given this massive advantage, why don't all teams that are relegated from the PL get promoted straight away? 

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

a) a large gap will then appear between PL2 and the new top division of the EFL.

We don't need a PL2, we need a PL1, 2, 3 & 4. The gap betwen tv revenue can reduce a little bit between every single league place of the whole 92 clubs.  

You may be right that a gap will appear, but will it be bigger than the current Prem / Champ one is and that continues to get bigger?

Yeah in a dream world though there would be a 1 2 3 4.

5 hours ago, Macintosh said:

Seeing as the EFL, PL etc., are ignoring the fact that the rest of the clubs in the Championship are only there to make up numbers, could supporters' groups from this division take their own action as a fan demonstration. No away support at Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA and Sheffield United? Like many, I was disgusted with the price increase by Sheffield United, but if jointly all away supporters boycotted their grounds and even limited the number of tickets allocated for them when they play away, that may be a start of a message clubs aren't going to stand for this any more?

Me and my dad are going to fulham lads need our help no point moaning about ticket prices.

Greedy b's rarely volunteer to take a smaller piece of the pie. Unless there was a way of legislating for a more equal distribution, it'll never happen. 

It's for those very reasons that when I hear any football club owners blarting on about "fairness", I get nauseous, because none of them would vote for it if they were in the PL. Not. One. 

12 minutes ago, Kooklaram said:

How about this for a shake up 

all promoted clubs exempt from relegation for 1 season,

all relegated clubs cannot go straight back up. 

So relegated clubs would have absolutely nothing to play for in the league? 

Something needs to change but this would be far to radical.

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Greedy b's rarely volunteer to take a smaller piece of the pie. Unless there was a way of legislating for a more equal distribution, it'll never happen. 

It's for those very reasons that when I hear any football club owners blarting on about "fairness", I get nauseous, because none of them would vote for it if they were in the PL. Not. One. 

To be fair, none (or not many) of us fans would either. If we were facing the prospect of benefitting from parachute payments, I doubt the concept of scrapping them would gain much support on this forum.

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

Just insert relegation clauses into players contracts. There you go i've solved the problem for you.

Hang on. I thought one of the reasons PPs came in was precisely this: weak PL teams were having to include these clauses which meant they could not recruit the best players 

Ironically, there was a proposal to abolish parachute payments and redistribute income better as "Project Big Picture" last October - it was a power grab by the top 6. In exchange for increased voting rights they proposed increaing the wealth distribution between lower clubs in the pyramid and thus abolishing the need for parachute payments. Much of which I agreed with, just not the increased voting rights of the big clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So relegated clubs would have absolutely nothing to play for in the league? 

Something needs to change but this would be far to radical.

unfortunately for them yes , but for the rest of the league they wont be able to spend all there cash to bounce back up as players might not be willing to go to them, at best they would keep the same squad what got them relegated to try the following year.

Maybe just the promotion bit.

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Was that when we had Match of the Day and Star Soccer...the difference now is the filthy lucre, The idea of the PL taking over from the EFL sounds great in theory...but in practice I cant see it, You need 2/3 of the Premier teams to agree this I believe, I just don't see them giving money away.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Not forgetting they have an International player that isn't costing them any transfer money for 2 years.

17 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Ironically, there was a proposal to abolish parachute payments and redistribute income better as "Project Big Picture" last October - it was a power grab by the top 6. In exchange for increased voting rights they proposed increaing the wealth distribution between lower clubs in the pyramid and thus abolishing the need for parachute payments. Much of which I agreed with, just not the increased voting rights of the big clubs. 

That's the same as having a stay of execution, You're happy not to be executed tomorrow, But you know it'll next be month.