Rams vs Barnsley (A) Matchday Thread

angieram

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I sort of agree, but it's a big ask. What about the others stepping up? We played at an awfully slow treacle pace tonight, made Festy look like Billy Whizz. Not sure CKR is the answer and Knighty looked 'unfit'. Had enough of the end product we get from Lawrence too.

he was probably our best player tonight. 

Very disappointing and unfortunately relegation looks inevitable at the minute.

Two terrible goals to concede. Forsyth has had a shocker of a week. He was poor before the goal but he had a mare on the goal. Buchanan came in and have a silly free kick away. But Davies and Jagielka need to communicate. A simple run from right to left. Schoolboy stuff. 

Lawrence effort levels are annoying me beyond belief. Poor quality on the ball. My patience has gone with him. Morrison tried to no avail. Bird decent. I’d play Ebosele instead of Byrne. He was poor. His quality in and around the box is poor and defensively suspect. 
A long winter ahead. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I sort of agree, but it's a big ask. What about the others stepping up? We played at an awfully slow treacle pace tonight, made Festy look like Billy Whizz. Not sure CKR is the answer and Knighty looked 'unfit'. Had enough of the end product we get from Lawrence too.

we get slower by the game,ageing defenders and no quality up front,it will only get worse as the games pile on.no morrisson saturday hrough suspension,lawrence must be close,ebosele will have to play due to lack of numbers

5 of the 10 outfield players were aged 34 to 39. Two have played virtually every game and the other three are returning from illness and injury. Morrison and Lawrence don't exactly bust a gut. We are getting pressed and outrun by teams playing a quick tempo. We don't have the same passing options as other teams.  

There is only so much we can do about that. Buchanan for Forsyth and Sibley or Jozwiak for Baldock?

That was depressing to watch and you have to feel unless something drastically changes quickly we're definitely done for. The defence has utterly gone to pieces. Essentially playing 2 wingbacks when you have the ageing non-dynamic duo of davies and jagielka is nothing less than tactical suicide but the lack of concentration and basic organisation was downright appalling to see. Just for the second goal alone we deserved to lose the game quite honestly. 

The midfield of Bird, Knight and Morrison lacked bite and made Barnsley look like world beaters when in fact they'd lost 8 in a row and not won in 13. The 3 simultaneously didn't help the defence out enough and they collectively offered little going forward. I'm tired of watching Morrison's over glorified style that slows down our counter, missing players in acres of space and instead choosing to play a 5 yard pass. 

Going forward it's the same old story quite honestly. Too often we didn't look threatening against what was clearly a fragile backline until the final moments of the game by which time it's too late. It's not just the forwards fault (yes they are poor) but oftentimes the supply to them is insufficient for them to make a real impact. For a bloke who is England's record goal scorer I'll never not be astonished at how often he makes us look utterly toothless. 

The final question is what are the manager and coaching staff doing? It's increasingly looking like the same old dirge that was served up last season with only 3 wins from 16 games and one win since mid august. Rooney's cultivated a lot of goodwill that is well deserved for his standing by the club and doing what he can to get us through but he's won what 4 from the last 32 league games? 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

5 of the 10 outfield players were aged 34 to 39. Two have played virtually every game and the other three are returning from illness and injury. Morrison and Lawrence don't exactly bust a gut. We are getting pressed and outrun by teams playing a quick tempo. We don't have the same passing options as other teams.  

There is only so much we can do about that. Buchanan for Forsyth and Sibley or Jozwiak for Baldock?

Not for Baldock, he at least looks like he can score if chances are created.

Not good defensively shakey and as always looked fairly toothless going forward. However I thought we looked better with 2 forwards on the pitch than when they got took off. League 1 will be ok new grounds to visit and all that, it will be ok won’t it? It will I know it will……..man GIF

Tonight feels defining in a bad way. Barnsley boosted by manager change but we still needed to get minimum 1 point out of that. We’re not having any luck at all, could easily have come away with a draw, but as Rooney said in his interview (after dropping the F Bomb), big portions of the last 3 games we’ve been off it, we’re not playing with the same verve, we’re not defending like our lives depended on it. I think we’ve lost something, maybe it’s the small squad and the weight of the club situation getting to them. The tactics tonight were also questionable- why is Kazim rotating and playing wide at times leaving us without a focal point. 

As for the players, We see glimpses of Morrison every single game but that’s it, wandering all over the pitch and ultimately not affecting the game. Knight at times was a headless chicken, not enough from Lawrence. Kazim was ineffective.

Many of us thought this would happen sooner, we had hope with how we’ve started the season but it’s dwindling fast! We now have an extremely tough run of games leading into Christmas, its going to take some effort just to avoid being cut further drift. 

The fans came through strongly on the TV, outstanding support but even the energy and life from the fans was sucked out by that performance as the game went on, albeit revived by a late Derby flourish.

Optimism is quickly fading and it’s looking like it will be a tough slog. Our only hope lies with getting a buyer and appeals panels being sympathetic to our arguments on Covid and P&S.

As for those saying we need a manager change, Rooney has stood by us in an impossible position so deserves a bit more support, and anyway, whoever thinks we can get another manager to turn this situation around is deluded. No proven decent manager will take this job! Not one!

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is it a big ask for Festy to start? He makes a positive impact every time he comes on. He will give opposition fullbacks something different to think about. 

I also disagree on Knight, I actually thought he was pretty decent. 

35 minutes ago, sage said:

Blooming eck mate that's a depressing (if true) analysis. 

May as well put the two of us on for a bit of a waddle around in midfield.... ?