Rams vs Luton Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Disappointing to lose 2 points, and clearly a couple of bad errors for our goals. No need for scapegoats though. Given the strength of our squad/options we are showing an tremendous lot of fight. If only we had a fit, decent forward to take some pressure off the midfield. These kind of performances are an inevitability now and again all things considered.

Well said. 

We have a great defensive record and Allsop has done okay in the past couple of games. 

Sure we could play Roos on Saturday then we could scream for him to be replaced a few weeks later. 

Tonight was frustrating. We had them beaten twice then made mistakes. 

I'm sure on the Luton pages they will be saying similar things. 

We move on to Saturday and a tough game against Coventry. If we play with the same spirit the fans should get right behind them and who knows? 

2 minutes ago, blue texel ram said:

Why didn't Ebosele start tonight ???

Why didn't we try Tom up front when it wasn't working for Sibs @ Preston

Constructive comments welcome 

I thought Byrne did ok...the number of times he was free running forward in to space in a threatening position but wasn't used was criminal. Happened 4 or 5 times....

3 minutes ago, cstand said:

Throwing away points by poor defending is costing us this season. 

Before tonight we had the joint best defence in the division. I'd say on the whole the defence is the least of our worries.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

Well said. 

We have a great defensive record and Allsop has done okay in the past couple of games. 

Sure we could play Roos on Saturday then we could scream for him to be replaced a few weeks later. 

Tonight was frustrating. We had them beaten twice then made mistakes. 

I'm sure on the Luton pages they will be saying similar things. 

We move on to Saturday and a tough game against Coventry. If we play with the same spirit the fans should get right behind them and who knows? 

Think we might be playing Coventry at the right time, they are due a defeat.....

13 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

Harsh to be so critical on Allsop makes one mistake where lack of goals has cost us 3 points in other games. 

Its not harsh, it was really poor goalkeeping and cost us 2 points. 

We were nearly very good tonight. At times we looked to be opening them up but too often turned back and took the safe(r) option. It's really disappointing to draw a game when we scored two good goals. Luton never gave up, and credit to them for that, but they were two very poor goals to give away. 

Just now, blue texel ram said:

Why didn't Ebosele start tonight ???

Why didn't we try Tom up front when it wasn't working for Sibs @ Preston

Constructive comments welcome 

I don’t think the selection was clearly wrong. But as usual, as the game developed our dug out showed its lack of experience and did  .. nothing. 
Allstop/ Roos was a big call and no doubt the second goal was an error. But on that pitch Roos could easily have had howlers galore. Why don’t our coaching staff have the sense to tell keepers to get rid fast, if they are playing in a marsh ?
 As for Ebosele, he’s the perfect player to bring on after 60, 65 mins and he came on after 80 something. Ridiculous. Byrne is wasted if his first cross is in the 80th minute. 
Totally agree about Lawrence. He showed with the first a class in front of goal that no one else has. Problem is, he seems to think he’s exempt from challenging like a man for a 50 50 ball - instead we get his billy elliot pirouettes. We mixed it up today with some decent long balls but if Lawrence won’t challenge for the first or even the second ball it doesn’t work. Joz much stronger and worked hard.
I don’t know why Watson has disappeared. 

That was a 0-0 game made 2-2 by generally woeful defending/goalkeeping.

I thought we looked ok, but squandered too many counterattacking positions. Ravel Morrison has been a really good addition, but today his decision-making was poor and contributed to breakdown of attacks.

I feel for Joz. He was in great positions yet again and wasn't put through, likewise Lee Buchanan when he was running through and Morrison opted to check back. Frustrating.

Allsop - Roos was unlucky to lose his place and I assume he will be back Saturday 

Byrne - played very well

jagielka - excellent 

Davies - excellent 

Buchanan - excellent 

shinnie - ok

Bird - decent 

Morrison - what a frustrating player - gets into some great positions to play people in and then doesn’t pass it so many times tonight

jozwiak - he has great control but he needs to input a lot more with the ball 

Knight - him and Lawrence made and scored our two goals tonight 

Lawrence- I am his biggest critic but that position suits him a lot more as he will get a couple of chances a game to use his ability there 

disappointed not to get the 3 points tonight especially as we scored two good goals and at least one of theirs was totally avoidable 

FWIW while I wouldn’t say Ravel played poorly, there were several occasions where he took all momentum out of breakaways where he could’ve laid it out wide and kept it moving, but instead stopped play. Perhaps needs a bit more confidence and/or to be less risk averse when moving forward. We didn’t make the most of a number of promising openings through poor decision making. Not all of this was Ravel of course. Mr Lawrence was also guilty a few times.

This is not to say it was bad performance overall. Just think we might have done a bit more with what we had. Doesn’t matter of course if you gift goals as we did.

Oh well. Beat Cov on Saturday and 4 points from the two games would be a good outcome.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That was a 0-0 game made 2-2 by generally woeful defending/goalkeeping.

I thought we looked ok, but squandered too many counterattacking positions. Ravel Morrison has been a really good addition, but today his decision-making was poor and contributed to breakdown of attacks.

I feel for Joz. He was in great positions yet again and wasn't put through, likewise Lee Buchanan when he was running through and Morrison opted to check back. Frustrating.

And Byrne on numerous occasions…

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Please tell us how we should feel about this 

With the cockwombles that follow that club , I might be prepared to let them have this one. Especially as it was 2 goals in extra time and they haven't won at home since dinosaurs roamed the earth. Might take there attention from other teams accounts for 2 minutes. I fully expect the gumps to ship a couple in injury time at the weekend to make up for it though.

Really sad we didn’t win. Goalkeepers do make mistakes .. as do all players. Allsop has saved our bacon a few times as well. It’s the way it goes. Luton were no pushovers, tidy, big and physical. In all honesty, apart from the result it was a good match to watch. Pitch was way too wet even before it rained .. the ball was leaving spray akin to following an Artic up the M1 in a rainstorm. Then it rained on top of it. 

Team put in a big effort, all of them. Joz was lively and dangerous, Shinnie a beast, Byrne never stops running. My MOM is Jason Knight .. that lad never lies down, ever. It’s like the first terminator film .. when he gets crushed by a forging press .. you think he’s down and gone .. then that little red light blinks .. re routing. Never say die.  Energy, strength, skill, commitment, finishing. Love him to bits.

psst .. East Stand Lino .. you know when one player shoves another in to touch with 2 hands and the ball is a yard away .. it’s called a foul. 

Cant comment on the Morrison peno. I’m 50 yards away only saw his back and a scramble of legs ? 

Keep the faith .. 2 goals today .. it’s getting better all the time.