The end

CBRammette

28 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

Is it?

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

And when has anyone on here been able to control the direction a thread takes? How many times do you go into a key topic hoping for an update and find 20 pages of puns. Isnt that randomness the joy of this forum? 

Joy, division, depends on the reader..

29 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Administration looks inevitable as Mel appears to be floundering around unable to run the ship effectively any longer. 

Tend to agree. I think MM is hoping to build a 10+ point buffer to bottom 3 such that still attractive to a takeover (reasonable chance of staying up despite point penalty).

Also maybe why he is fighting the FFP penalties hard.

1 hour ago, Shipley Ram said:

I'm trying to read a Roger Penrose book at the moment, it's tough going. The 120 pages of the mathmatical appendixes he keeps refering to make the EFL judgment as easy read.

I'm guessing that's The Road to Reality? I felt for the poor publisher who did that, having paid a big advance expecting a beautiful short book  but then he delivered them that and they had to make the best of it. But they did well. I'm trying to find my copy now, as he signed a lovely dedication for me (I was his publisher later on), but where has it gone!?

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm guessing that's The Road to Reality? I felt for the poor publisher who did that, having paid a big advance expecting a beautiful short book  but then he delivered them that and they had to make the best of it. But they did well. I'm trying to find my copy now, as he signed a lovely dedication for me (I was his publisher later on), but where has it gone!?

It's probably been put aside for the @Carl Sagan museum? 

On Mel Morris: 

The gamers list is led by Mel Morris, who enjoyed a £450m payday with the sale of King Digital Entertainment— now King.com — the London-based developer of the addictive Candy Crush Saga, to a US gaming rival Activision in 2015. The deal also delivered large winnings for co-founders Riccardo Zacconi and Sebastian Knutsson ranked second and fifth on the list.

When he sold Candy Crush in 2015, he became immensely cash rich as per the above. Whilst I do believe he has lost an uncomfortable amount of personal fortune in owning Derby County, in which time he has looked to spend above the means of the competition rules of his own volition. It would still make him an immensely rich person, who has absolutely no excuse for running the club as badly as he currently is. 

What I would say to him, given half the chance, is clean up your own mess. The cutting of corners is doing nothing but to agitate fans and to downtools as significantly as he has, i.e. not pay the HMRC or other clubs, not to mention the fiasco with the ticket office, is absolutely inexcusable.  

If he can get the club stable again, which isn't going to cost the world, and away from the 'crisis club' narrative then it will become a lot more attractive to potential buyers - real potential buyers and not blokes who know how to steal videos from TikTok or look fancy in a big white robe. 

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

On Mel Morris: 

When he sold Candy Crush in 2015, he became immensely cash rich as per the above. Whilst I do believe he has lost an uncomfortable amount of personal fortune in owning Derby County, in which time he has looked to spend above the means of the competition rules of his own volition. It would still make him an immensely rich person, who has absolutely no excuse for running the club as badly as he currently is. 

What I would say to him, given half the chance, is clean up your own mess. The cutting of corners is doing nothing but to agitate fans and to downtools as significantly as he has, i.e. not pay the HMRC or other clubs, not to mention the fiasco with the ticket office, is absolutely inexcusable.  

If he can get the club stable again, which isn't going to cost the world, and away from the 'crisis club' narrative then it will become a lot more attractive to potential buyers - real potential buyers and not blokes who know how to steal videos from TikTok or look fancy in a big white robe. 

Which is the thing about all of this that doesn't seem to add up/make sense. 

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Which is the thing about all of this that doesn't seem to add up/make sense. 

I just think he's past caring and allowing things to slip he otherwise wouldn't. I don't think Stephen Pearce is anything more than a lap dog at this point as it's really him who should be banging the table demanding things get sorted. 

Although, perhaps he's in the same boat in that he can't really bring himself to moan anymore, especially as this debacle has probably put an irremovable stain on his CV that makes sure he never works any where close to the same capacity ever again. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

On Mel Morris: 

100% correct. He may have put a lot of his own money in already, and to a degree I commend that. But he can't just pull funding like that and watch us flounder. It's not like he's hard up.

How did he think this was going to play out if things didn't go to plan? Surely a businessman like him understands that ownership of the club was going to come with potentially high liabilities?

A football club is for life, not just for Christmas

None of us knows what his financial position is today, or how much liquidity he has. Back in 2008,Roman Abramovich, reckoned to be worth £8Bn at the time, stopped all capital and transfer spending at Chelsea on hold for a year, stopped his personal projects, because of a liquidity problem. He eventually solved it by selling one of his yachts. So even the mega-mega rich can hit problems when things go tits up somewhere in their portfolio. 

40 minutes ago, Crewton said:

None of us knows what his financial position is today, or how much liquidity he has. Back in 2008,Roman Abramovich, reckoned to be worth £8Bn at the time, stopped all capital and transfer spending at Chelsea on hold for a year, stopped his personal projects, because of a liquidity problem. He eventually solved it by selling one of his yachts. So even the mega-mega rich can hit problems when things go tits up somewhere in their portfolio. 

Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

On Mel Morris: 

Great post, i agree with everything u said, Mr Morris needs to sort the mess out he has caused ASAP, then he can sell the club with his head held high, otherwise he will go down as the fan who destroyed the club he loved. 

5 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Great post, i agree with everything u said, Mr Morris needs to sort the mess out he has caused ASAP, then he can sell the club with his head held high, otherwise he will go down as the fan who destroyed the club he loved. 

As we have seen recently i don't think MM has any intention of sorting his mess out.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I think there is a story behind Mel's actions which very few are aware of. I simply can't believe that he would chose to run the club in such a terrible way if he had any other choice. Eventually, I think we'll find out and quite a few will feel they judged him harshly. 

I don't think it has to do with liquidity though. Logically, his reasons for selling are probably one or more of; getting desperately short of cash, not feeling (mentally, physically or emotionally) capable of it or feeling that it's best for the club to have a more engaged owner.

Turning the club into a basket case just prolongs the losses and the aggravation because it becomes unsellable. If Mel just had to sell a hotel to be able to put another £10m in to stabilise the club, I'm sure he would because he could walk away far more quickly and with more cash. I think that Mel is far too desperate to use liquidity as an excuse.

5 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think there is a story behind Mel's actions which very few are aware of. I simply can't believe that he would chose to run the club in such a terrible way if he had any other choice. Eventually, I think we'll find out and quite a few will feel they judged him harshly. 

I don't think it has to do with liquidity though. Logically, his reasons for selling are probably one or more of; getting desperately short of cash, not feeling (mentally, physically or emotionally) capable of it or feeling that it's best for the club to have a more engaged owner.

Turning the club into a basket case just prolongs the losses and the aggravation because it becomes unsellable. If Mel just had to sell a hotel to be able to put another £10m in to stabilise the club, I'm sure he would because he could walk away far more quickly and with more cash. I think that Mel is far too desperate to use liquidity as an excuse.

Or he just wants somebody else to sort out the mess he has got the club in.