Louis Watson, what a player. But not as good as that Louie fella, what a creature.

Boycie

29 minutes ago, rammieib said:

We tried too hard at times to fall into a set piece. It was almost like ice hockey for those who understand the game. Start with the puck behind the goal and run a set play.

For Derby its start at the back or reset it, and eventually work it to one of the deep lying mids who takes the spot of the full back who has pushed forward. The opposition doesn’t know which player follows.

Forst half especially this was too pedestrian like. Second half, Morrison dropped deep and the centre backs spread. This allowed full backs further up and allowed Watson to be further up.

Interesting. Worked well second half, meant Watson was getting the ball in a decent amount of space, and meant Ebosele spent most of his time going forward. 

48 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Couldn't quite work out where he was playing. Seemed to play largely behind Williams in the first half and largely behind Ebosele in the second. Almost like a playmaking fullback rather than a 'proper' midfielder. 

Great performance, didn't understand why people seemed to think he was playing badly on the match thread. 

It's the Rooney tactic of having high full backs, pretty much placed where wing backs are in a back 5, but in a 4, with the central midfielder dropping in almost to play as a LCB / RCB - it won't work if the midfielders can't do the defensive job and the opposition are on top as Salford were for the first 25 minutes and ultimately sells out both the full back and the CM.

With such an inexperienced LB in Williams, with Watson covering the left sid of the pitch it was a problem and . However, once we stopped Salford playing a bit,  took control and had Watson switching to the right to cover Ebosele rather than Williams.it was far more effective.

Edited by Coconut

7 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

Hemingway apparently wrote 39 different endings to Farewell to Arms. Is this David’s problem- he just doesn’t know how it should end? ?

Apparently the first draft had a Harrison Ford voiceover that ruined everything, and pretty much no unicorn references, so we're waiting on the Final Cut

I would say that if Morrison is happy to play fairly deep then he can work with Shinnie. 

We would no longer need Bird back there and so it would be between him and Watson for that third midfield spot. 

Watson will infuriate. He played balls straight to opponents last night that made no sense.

He can't tackle. 

He's naive. 

And I loved watching him play! 

If our forwards make the runs, he will find them. 

We might just provide some attacking football. 

1 minute ago, 24Charlie said:

I sometimes don’t think I’m watching the same game as other people.

I was in the West Stand Lower last night and quite early in the first a I clearly heard someone shout to get Watson off stating that’s he’s effing useless!

Utterly baffling.

There is an old saying that you can’t educate pork and I’m afraid we have more than a few who are like that.