Who will be our first signing?

RoyMac5

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

No but In our dire situation ie: not a single recognised centre half to our name… it’s the equivalent of signing varane 

2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

They said that when we signed a 37 year old Paul Mcgrath who had knackered knees.

He was Superb that season.

I've seen enough of Jag to be of the opinion that he would be a great signing for a season.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Well I will be very pleased if we do sign him thanks ? 

I wasn't knocking Jagielka... He has been an excellent player. I'm sure he'll do a great job for us.

And I am painfully aware of our current predicament.

I was merely lamenting the days when we would be signing players that would thrill us.... Charlie George, Franny Lee, Saunders, Eranio, Baiano and so on.

That's all I meant.

Edited by IslandExile

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I wasn't knocking Jagielka... He has been an excellent player. I'm sure he'll do a great job for us.

And I am painfully aware of our current predicament.

I was merely lamenting the days when we would be signing players that would thrill us.... Charlie George, Franny Lee, Saunders, Eranio, Baiano and so on.

That's all I meant.

Yes and when we signed all of them we were in the top division in this country - current we are a long way from all of those 

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I can't believe that this is the summary from the meeting. All this fuss and there's nothing there we didn't already know. Same old crap. When will it change. Feel sorry for Rooney, a complete shambles of a football club.

It's not the EFL stuff really. It's that Mel thinks there aren't enough Academy players bought through - he's lost it. Totally.

So we pretty much have just under 37 hours before the deadline (12pm Fri) to register players for Saturday - lets hope we can get the EFL talks resolved in that time to at least get a few in for Saturday

Surely we have the agreements lined up with the players already so just a case of the registration being approved

Edited by DCFC1388

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

So we pretty much have just under 37 hours before the deadline (12pm Fri) to register players for Saturday - lets hope we can get the EFL talks resolved in that time to at least get a few in for Saturday

Surely we have the agreements lined up with the players already so just a case of the registration being approved

You would hope so, but I'm not that confident any more.

6 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If he wanted academy players properly utilised he should have kept cocu or Mac or promoted wassell.

It's just an entirely unrealistic proposal though Kash. In the last few years we've had Bogle, Lowe, Buchanan, Bird, Knight, and Sibley all break through. Now for an academy that's a really good achievement but if we're wanting to compete at the top end of the championship we're unlikely to be able to rely on playing even more young players regularly. Overly using young players at too early a stage in their career can wreck them and it can hurt the team, I'd suggest last season was a good example of the latter and it could in the future be seen as an example of the former. 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Give it a rest, it's not like Rooney isn't bringing young players through. They aren't consistent or predictable in their development. 

Rooney is doing it through necessity though, not because of some grand philosophy. Just look at the striker situation last year, was CKR, then brought in Gregory, then he played Lawrence... all over giving any of our own a go.

Now, I agree that Mel is being a bit of an arse with this statement giving the fact we have zero prospect of signing anyone so we're forced to play the youngsters due to his own actions, so it doesn't actually make sense. But the entrusting of our youth players to Rooney is frighteningly bad.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

It's just an entirely unrealistic proposal though Kash. In the last few years we've had Bogle, Lowe, Buchanan, Bird, Knight, and Sibley all break through. Now for an academy that's a really good achievement but if we're wanting to compete at the top end of the championship we're unlikely to be able to rely on playing even more young players regularly. Overly using young players at too early a stage in their career can wreck them and it can hurt the team, I'd suggest last season was a good example of the latter and it could in the future be seen as an example of the former. 

I actually agree with you there and my comments were in relation to the effective use of the academy players who require the right coaching and time to flourish.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Rooney is doing it through necessity though, not because of some grand philosophy. Just look at the striker situation last year, was CKR, then brought in Gregory, then he played Lawrence... all over giving any of our own a go.

He gave Stretton an opportunity. Who else is there that looked decent? Oh yeah Duncan! Gregory was a good signing. 

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Give it a rest, it's not like Rooney isn't bringing young players through. They aren't consistent or predictable in their development. 

Don't be so sensitive Roy,my comments were in relation to who I thought either did the best job in coaching our academy stars whist they were here....I don't believe that rowett,lamps or Rooney were as effective as cocu and Mac in that regard.

In my opinion opinion they are not as consistent or predictable in their development whilst in the first team for a reason.