Training Photos

Stuniverse

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Confirmed in training...

Coaches: Rooney, Rosenior, Nicholson, Jenkinson
Goalkeepers: Roos
Defenders: Davies, Byrne, Forsyth, Buchanan, Solomon, JBrown, Cashin, McDonald, Ebosele, Bardell, Williams
Midfielders: Shinnie, Bird, Sibley, Watson, Dixon
Wingers: Wilson
Forwards: Kazim, Stretton, Duncan, Plange

MIA: Walker (coach), Given (coach), Pearcey (GK coach), Marshall, Wisdom, Bielik, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Waghorn

Walker and Pearcey were both there.

No point including Wisdom and Waghorn as MIA. 

48 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I think.

Jozwiak & Marshall not there because of euro involvement  Euros

Bielik not 100% yet Injured

Lawrence ????? Wales squad pre-tournament and in the emergency callup list

Wisdom & waggy gone Still not confirmed

Not sure why the coaches aren't there. Prob as it's only 1st day and the staff just checking players fitness/condition Just happened to not be in the pics

39 minutes ago, RAMesses III said:

Don't see neither Alex Matthews nor Bartosz Cybulski. They were being offered new contracts after end of their U18 scholarship so might have lost those two aswell...

This was first team training, not the mixed U18 and U23 squad.

Grewal-Pollard, LThompson, Hutchinson, Aghatise, Clarke, Perez de Gracia and SThompson are others from the U23s and not in the photos.

6 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

OK here's my 2p worth.

If they are in the squad then they must be, in the opinion of the management, capable of doing some kind of job on the pitch this season, otherwise why pay them?

In a league where fitness, physicality and commitment count for more than skill, surely that's what needs to be prioritised now when training/signing/loaning players, based on the theory that this will be another relegation dogfight unless events prove otherwise.

If we can get Davies, Wisdom, Waghorn* back that's a bonus, all 3 can do a job for us still.  Ditto Matt Clarke.

Bielik still out?  That's a real blow, I thought he'd be back by now.

Let's keep faith with the home grown players who give their all every time (Buchanan, Sibley, Bird, Knight) and hope that they are now stronger after last season's battles.

On paper this is still a squad that should be able to achieve a mid table finish in this league.  

The players who have gone are mostly those who didn't feature much anyway (with the exception of the 3 mentioned above).  If Marriott prefers to play for Peterborough rather than be managed by Wazza (and maybe learn something) then that's his loss, good riddance.  'Big fish, small pond' mentality.  Trouble is now that, following the rule that every ex player scores against us, guess who'll be the next one to do so?

Roos, Byrne, Davies (hopefully), Wisdom (hopefully), Buchanan, Shinnie, Bird, Bielik, Knight, Sibley, Waghorn* plus CKR, Lawrence etc on the bench, that's still a competitive lineup if the collective attitude and organisation is right.  The experienced 'spine' of Roos/Davies (hopefully)/Shinnie/Waghorn*, together with younger 'runners' (Byrne, Buchanan, Sibley) would surely be capable of holding their own in this league, wouldn't they, provided that they were managed/organised/motivated properly?

It's now clear that this season will be another holding operation, underwritten by MM and awaiting final resolution of the ongoing EFL & ownership sagas, with the aim of achieving 21st place again.  The longer this goes on however, the more likely Wazza is to jump ship &/or be tempted elsewhere.  If anything his stock will have actually risen having kept us up last season.

*am talking about the Waghorn who played v Sheff Wed in the last game rather than the doppelganger** who turned up for most of the other games LOL

** I think that's probably the first time the word 'doppelganger' has appeared on here***

*** A 'doppelganger' in German is a 'ghostly double' or shadow apparition of a real person...

on paper that's a team destined for probably mid-table of league 1 not mid-table of this division. Davies has played how much football in the last year and a half? He had to sign a waiver to get onto the pitch for 10 minutes last season so I can't see how he'd be good for more than a few games at this level now. Forsyth has been a great servant for the club but his best days are clearly well behind him and again not someone I'd want to be relying on. Roos is just a keeper I've never rated and Marshall is one of the few areas of the team where I feel confident. 

waghorn is apparently training with coventry so I doubt he'll be back with us anytime soon and wisdom I believe is yet to sign a new contract either. 

Bird, Knight, Buchanan, and Sibley are unknowns. They generally did well under cocu (except Buchanan) but all either were intermittent in their appearances for the team last season due to not being picked or poor form and often struggled to have much of an impact when they were in the squad. I think we tend to overvalue this particular crop of young players (when they've matured at 23 I imagine they'll be decent champ players) but unless there is a substantial improvement from last season they generally look like league 1 players atm. 

The other area is being managed properly but I don't want to derail the thread except to say I don't think that's happening either. The club needs bodies in through the door, some experienced heads at this level that are just the right side of over the hill. It's not undue pessimism to say the squad is in a desperately poor state, it's the truth and its realistic to say that if we don't get bodies in then we'll be going down. 

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

I need sub-titles on some of that banter! 

Good to see some of the younger players looking a bit more "sturdy" in there - Cashin looks like he fits right in already.

Yeah, I assume it was banter that is! ? ? 

Not sure whether Buchanan was enjoying it or not, maybe he's shy?!

Cashin has bulked up, catching up with Festy! ?

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, I assume it was banter that is! ? ? 

Not sure whether Buchanan was enjoying it or not, maybe he's shy?!

Cashin has bulked up, catching up with Festy! ?

Any ITK for his pops Macca???

Edited by Jimbo Ram

7 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

OK here's my 2p worth.

The experienced 'spine' of Roos/Davies (hopefully)/Shinnie/Waghorn*, together with younger 'runners' (Byrne, Buchanan, Sibley) would surely be capable of holding their own in this league, wouldn't they, provided that they were managed/organised/motivated properly?

?

tenor (10).gif

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Not a photo but a nice clip of Jack Stretton ?

I have nothing against Bobby Duncan and hope he makes good progress this season, but I do want to see Jack Stretton get on that pitch and start scoring for us. He's earned his chance based on performances. 

Feel like some fans only see ? with players who have come from a big club.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I have nothing against Bobby Duncan and hope he makes good progress this season, but I do want to see Jack Stretton get on that pitch and start scoring for us. He's earned his chance based on performances. 

Feel like some fans only see ? with players who have come from a big club.

Think they’ll both have a part to play with the squad looking like it is 

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Not a photo but a nice clip of Jack Stretton ?

Important to be able to pass and move under pressure and I know these are only excerpts but I’d love to see a training session in which EVERY player is encouraged to smash the ball into the net!

We are so shot shy as a team. I would imagine every professional footballer should be able to shoot accurately from 20 yards yet on a Saturday it’s very ‘after you’.

Rooney of all people should be able to coach this element.