The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

It's a real shame Spain went out as I'd have really fancied us against them as they're pretty poor in both boxes. Italy will be a real challenge for us and it'll take an epic performance and a bit of luck to beat them i think. They're a great side with real flair and attacking potency which is a nice move away from the traditional Italian style. I think we need to win in 90 minutes tonight to keep us nice and fresh so we can maybe capitalise and some of those older Italian legs especially in the defensive area. 

This Denmark team are no pushovers.

To be honest, I think first goal wins it tonight.

If I should disappear from the forum, it will be because I have been exposed as insufficently committed to the "anyone but England" cause and can only hope that Cheif Inspector Taggart gets to the bottom to the develish plot that has seen my demise.

Call me boring but I'm not even thinking about Sunday or how we'd play against a team who spend more time rolling about screaming in agony than playing football.  All focus is on tonight - Denmark will be a tough side to break down.  Do that, then I start to really get excited.

28 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Denmark will be a tough side to break down. 

Poppycock. Man for man England are a class above Denmark. They were lucky to get out of their group with two losses and Wales & Czech is a lucky route to where they are. Nobody could begrudge them a semi final spot after what happened in their first game but this is as far as they go. Expect a similar game to Ukraine. Easy win. Ref will blow on 90 again to put them out their misery.

I'm not even going to bother watching. See you Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Poppycock. Man for man England are a class above Denmark. They were lucky to get out of their group with two losses and Wales & Czech is a lucky route to where they are. Nobody could begrudge them a semi final spot after what happened in their first game but this is as far as they go. Expect a similar game to Ukraine. Easy win. Ref will blow on 90 again to put them out their misery.

I'm not so sure. They've only lost 4 of their last 35 I believe and 3 of those were against Belgium the other being Finland after Erikson collapsed. In the Nations league they took 4 points off us and they'll make it hard work tonight. I do think we should win but they won't role over for us in the same manner of Ukraine. 

5 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Fingers crossed I won't need to remind you of this post if it goes horribly wrong (it IS England) but hat's off for your confidence. Hoping to see you Sunday. 

45 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Call me boring but I'm not even thinking about Sunday or how we'd play against a team who spend more time rolling about screaming in agony than playing football.  All focus is on tonight - Denmark will be a tough side to break down.  Do that, then I start to really get excited.

I thought in extra time they were appalling, hoping for a break away but not at the risk of conceding and happy enough to be defeated by penalties.  Diving about, wasting time.  Hate the football they churn out particularly as they can be so exciting when they want to be

Some classic comments here about them cheating foreigners diving, wasting time... how dare they corrupt the pure beautiful sport we English invented?

Every single team including England does so, except when our boys do it, it is called clever gamesmanship. Italy and Spain were no more guilty of it than any other side (I actually thought the game flowed very well - helped by the referee not blowing for a foul every two minutes).

Last night was one of the best games of tournament football for many a year. Hopefully tonight matches it and it doesn't come down to penalties. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm expecting 5 at the back to counter their 343/3421 for this one.

Pickford
Trippier   Walker   Stones   Maguire   Shaw
Phillips   Rice
Sancho   Kane   Sterling

Ditto.

Except Saka for Sancho.

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Some classic comments here about them cheating foreigners diving, wasting time... how dare they corrupt the pure beautiful sport we English invented?

Every single team including England does so, except when our boys do it, it is called clever gamesmanship. Italy and Spain were no more guilty of it than any other side (I actually thought the game flowed very well - helped by the referee not blowing for a foul every two minutes).

Last night was one of the best games of tournament football for many a year. Hopefully tonight matches it and it doesn't come down to penalties. 

Last night was ok, but It wasn’t even in the top 5 of games in THIS tournament 

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Just me I think?  90 mins were superb then Italy decided not to lose in extra time.  Thought that decision was a farce, sorry

34 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

BBC reporting sako for Sancho is the only change to the team. 

This will be the 6th game in 3 weeks for most of the players. That's more than they're used to in the epl, so stamina may start to play a part. 

Tbf they’ve not had to play on the edge, seems like it has not been that physically demanding so I’m not surprised really

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

They won, didn't they? How can it be a farce?

I just think so, this is the all conquering Italians not sure why they wanted to risk pens?   Maybe they don’t have as much in the tank than is needed