Looking forward to next season

Curtains

7 hours ago, Foreveram said:

I’m sorry but If you’re counting Hull as “ seaside “ you might as well have Cardiff and Middlesbrough ?

Absolutely! If you can see the sea, that's good enough for me. I live 100 miles from the coast so any glimpse is precious.

Also  I love the area around Waterside and the marina in Hull. I can't understand why everyone has such a down on the place.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Absolutely! If you can see the sea, that's good enough for me. I live 100 miles from the coast so any glimpse is precious.

Also  I love the area around Waterside and the marina in Hull. I can't understand why everyone has such a down on the place.

I agree with you about “ull” I think most of the people who have a down on it probably haven’t visited the area. We regularly stay at the holiday inn on the marina and love the pubs and restaurants in that area and we will stay when we play there this season.

Just now, Foreveram said:

I agree with you about “ull” I think most of the people who have a down on it probably haven’t visited the area. We regularly stay at the holiday inn on the marina and love the pubs and restaurants in that area and we will stay when we play there this season.

That's where we stay too!

I don't get to many games these days but I can imagine the excitement building in those that will be able to go again.

Indeed, the discussion on away grounds reminds me of the 80s in the third tier and the fun we had going to new towns.

As for the football itself, this is the least I can remember looking forward to a new season.

The close season for supporters is all about building up hope and anticipation for the footballing year ahead.

My 'hope bottle' has a hole in it. I'm not getting any replenishment of excitement about Derby County.

Maybe it will change as we get nearer but at the moment, there's no sign of anything to look forward to.

COYR ? 

yaaay.gif.530fb65bdf5b6678e153f5563cbbd209.gif

29 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I don't get to many games these days but I can imagine the excitement building in those that will be able to go again.

Indeed, the discussion on away grounds reminds me of the 80s in the third tier and the fun we had going to new towns.

As for the football itself, this is the least I can remember looking forward to a new season.

The close season for supporters is all about building up hope and anticipation for the footballing year ahead.

My 'hope bottle' has a hole in it. I'm not getting any replenishment of excitement about Derby County.

Maybe it will change as we get nearer but at the moment, there's no sign of anything to look forward to.

COYR ? 

yaaay.gif.530fb65bdf5b6678e153f5563cbbd209.gif

I think it will feel better when we're in the grounds, getting behind the team.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel my noisy support and appreciation will make a difference to how we play. I know lots of home and awayers and we all feel the same.

It's been so frustrating, watching from a distance and feeling a bit helpless. As long as I can hobble along to games, I 'll be there! 

I always look forward to the new season, albeit this time I am struggling. It doesn't help that I won't be a season ticket holder as I usually am, but the whole summer is just full of uncertainty with regards to the EFL punishment and potential point deductions. 

We also know that we are scaling back operations as a club and I'm not sure there is a club in English Football with such a daunting rebuild where only 10 players left contracted to the club aren't academy produced, which includes a player not wanted anymore (Marriott), a player not mentally fit to be called upon (Ibe), a player that lost his place and will likely be moved on (Marshall) and a couple of players that should be nothing more than backups at their stage of the career (Forsyth, Kazim). It leaves Jozwiak, Bielik, Lawrence, Shinnie and Byrne. 

We're also under no illusions that we are going to have to sell players, therefore you have to consider Buchanan, Sibley, Knight and Bird as at least available for transfer.

The unfortunate fact is that we really don't know what his Derby County team is going to look like come August. I guess that in itself could be classed as 'exciting' but at the very, very least we aren't going to have much of a squad together until a week or two before the season starts as I'd imagine we will be surviving on hand outs from Rooney's mates in the loan market and they typically hold on to their better players until later in the summer. 

This is unfortunately before you focus on the lack of leadership within the squad, although the fewer experienced players in the team the easier it potentially could be for Rooney to keep everyone on side. It's all a bit of a poo storm at the moment and I can't quite get over that. If we see some early movements in the transfer market and the semblance of a squad ready for the start of preseason then perhaps that will change. 

On 31/05/2021 at 07:53, angieram said:

It’s impossible to live further than 70 miles from a coastline in England. And you have to live in ‘Coton in the Elms’ to do that.

I’m now going to lie in a darkened room and weep silently at the revelation that @angieramtells lies ?

3 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

It’s impossible to live further than 70 miles from a coastline in England. And you have to live in ‘Coton in the Elms’ to do that.

I’m now going to lie in a darkened room and weep silently at the revelation that @angieramtells lies ?

She’s just rounding up.

Will - what news of Trampie?

He must surely have strong views on the EFL, new owners and the end of lockdown?

Any chance you could don PPE and rummage around?

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

She’s just rounding up.

Will - what news of Trampie?

He must surely have strong views on the EFL, new owners and the end of lockdown?

Any chance you could don PPE and rummage around?

With the weather being so awful I haven’t been down to the bottom of the garden much to see Old Trampie.

Caught up with him at the weekend. He was sporting a black eye he’d got fighting some new tramp on the block called Erik. Apparently, Erik had come off worse and hadn’t been seen since. Old Trampie was celebrating with an apple pie he’d found while bin raiding.

Make of that what you will. ?‍♂️ 

4 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

With the weather being so awful I haven’t been down to the bottom of the garden much to see Old Trampie.

Caught up with him at the weekend. He was sporting a black eye he’d got fighting some new tramp on the block called Erik. Apparently, Erik had come off worse and hadn’t been seen since. Old Trampie was celebrating with an apple pie he’d found while bin raiding.

Make of that what you will. ?‍♂️ 

I heard Erik was backed up by others who scarpered when the authorities arrived.

Suspect Old Trampie called their bluff. 

Glad he's getting at least one of his 5 a day. 

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I heard Erik was backed up by others who scarpered when the authorities arrived.

Suspect Old Trampie called their bluff. 

Glad he's getting at least one of his 5 a day. 

Spot on. Apparently one of Erik’s gang claimed to be from Fight Club and kept repeating ‘Only after disaster can we be resurrected.’ Can’t remember his name, but sounded away with the fairies. In a negative way.

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

So after spending half the season telling us how bad our squad is and how terrible some players are..............the same crew are now telling us to stop being negative!

image.gif.26d380fd131fc56ed3b789c74963d6f0.gif

Do you feel good for posting that. 

Well done 

My thoughts are that we need to have a general clear out of those who are not in long term plans. 

We need to allow Rooney to build a team from scratch. It might not be filled with stars but I am sure it will be more attack-minded. 

It will have frustrated him not having players who showed desire to score goals. 

I for one am looking forward to a fresh start. 

If we get clarity on attendance at grounds I am seriously considering a season ticket, which for someone living in Bristol is something of a commitment. 

Looking forward also to Rooney's Rams Rampant headlines. 

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Well, I always thought it was 100 miles to Skeggy, and that was our nearest seaside. 

I was brought up before Google maps! 

It's 92 miles, according to them.

Edited by angieram

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I always look forward to the new season, albeit this time I am struggling. It doesn't help that I won't be a season ticket holder as I usually am, but the whole summer is just full of uncertainty with regards to the EFL punishment and potential point deductions. 

We also know that we are scaling back operations as a club and I'm not sure there is a club in English Football with such a daunting rebuild where only 10 players left contracted to the club aren't academy produced, which includes a player not wanted anymore (Marriott), a player not mentally fit to be called upon (Ibe), a player that lost his place and will likely be moved on (Marshall) and a couple of players that should be nothing more than backups at their stage of the career (Forsyth, Kazim). It leaves Jozwiak, Bielik, Lawrence, Shinnie and Byrne. 

We're also under no illusions that we are going to have to sell players, therefore you have to consider Buchanan, Sibley, Knight and Bird as at least available for transfer.

The unfortunate fact is that we really don't know what his Derby County team is going to look like come August. I guess that in itself could be classed as 'exciting' but at the very, very least we aren't going to have much of a squad together until a week or two before the season starts as I'd imagine we will be surviving on hand outs from Rooney's mates in the loan market and they typically hold on to their better players until later in the summer. 

This is unfortunately before you focus on the lack of leadership within the squad, although the fewer experienced players in the team the easier it potentially could be for Rooney to keep everyone on side. It's all a bit of a poo storm at the moment and I can't quite get over that. If we see some early movements in the transfer market and the semblance of a squad ready for the start of preseason then perhaps that will change. 

Absolutely and I agree with that other than I'll add in that I have zero confidence in Rooney as a Derby manager or in his ability to manage the few good players we have left for next season.

However,I always look forwards to a new season,whatever the odds and I'll be supporting whatever squad we finally jumble together from the championships and league 1's spare parts bin.

Just being back in the stadium will be massive for me whatever. (assuming the club honour last season's season ticket that I was never able to use,).

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Normally I'd be starting to get a little bit of anticipation by now and be wondering about when players will report back for training or who we might sign etc now but I'm finding it hard to get too enthusiastic because we have so much hanging over us that it completely undermining the next season. A team that was barely good enough to finish ahead of 3 teams (including one team that had a points deduction) but is now weaker due to loans returning to their own clubs and might get weakened further by departures which we'll see very little if any of the cash for as it will surely just go to service debt. It's hard to get too 'up' for next season.

Whether you rate him or not, Rooney has a really tough job on his hands to make a team that can compete without his hands tied behind his back by behinds the scenes financial stuff. In fairness he seemed pretty blunt about all this needing sorting ASAP so I wonder if he will lose patience and find something else to do rather than risk any further reputation damage by taking a woefully understrength squad through another season. It's not just that we are lacking star quality, we are lacking basic numbers.

I can't help but feel extremely apprehensive about next season between the ownership situation, the ongoing EFL stuff, the current management, the squad depth, the way we only just about limped over the line last season and the way none of the above seems like it will be rectified quickly it looks like it's going to be a rough season. The only gleam of hope to my eyes is that I do genuinely think we've some talented young players that with the right coaching and the right support around them could see us have a decent season. But I think the most likely scenario in that regard is that they get picked off/pushed out cheaply to raise funds in some futile attempt to inject short term quality so Rooney can feel he has a stab at top 6. Whether we end up relegated feels to hard to say at this point, I could even see how a scenario plays out where we end up fairly comfortabley away from the drop but I feel like the issue is going to be we end up languishing towards the bottom whilst worsening our chances in future season. 

The most likely scenario to my mind plays out roughly like the following:

1. Takeover rumbles on most of the summer without actually getting over the line
  2. Rooney stays in post with little to no change to the coaching staff
  3. The EFL business rumbles on the entire summer proving a disrupting influence and sometime early in the season we get hit by a token punishment
  4. We sell between 2-3 of Sibley, Knight, Buchanan, Bird (with a chance it being the lot) on the cheap to raise funds for Rooney
  5. Said funds get spent on a few loanees from the likes of Utd, a few older championship journeymen with perhaps one more eye catching loan thrown in (this will either be someone like Roberts or an older out of favour prem player)
  6. We start the season with pretty much the same brand of turgid, match the opponent and try grind out points style of play we've seen for the majority of Rooney's tenure in charge
  7. Around October-November we are sat somewhere between 15th and 21st which is when I expect something will change. Likely something from the following:
    1. Rooney gets fed up of takeovers not materialising and gets wary about being tarred with another relagation battle and walks under the cloud of not being backed
    2. New owner comes in and boots Rooney for poor results/fans really turning on him
    3. New owner comes in and wants to be attached to the Rooney brand and for good or ill promises Rooney a war chest for January