Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Suggestion Thread

Kernow

On 05/06/2021 at 12:54, DCFClks said:

But with Rooney's style of play, no attacker in the league would do well. Does it matter what players we sign? and why would anyone want to join us? 

I still believe if Marriott could get rid of his injuries and play in a system that suits him he'd be a top player in this league.  

is he good at hoofball?  if so we're in business.

On 05/06/2021 at 20:14, DCFClks said:

He's been out injured or has been playing through an injury about 95% of the time he's been here. He was also injured while at Sheff Weds. Why does everyone seem to ignore this?

On 05/06/2021 at 20:39, enachops said:

There’s a reason players pick up injuries though. If you don’t look after yourself and condition yourself suitably then you’ll pick up muscular injuries. Many managers have now alluded to Marriott’s attitude/application in training. It’s not god enough for a professional sportsman. Marriott had a great opportunity at a big club. If he’s not careful he’ll be in League 1/2 for the rest of his career. A waste. 

Its true that you have to look after yourself to help avoid injuries. However, for some players it's just in their genes. Take Michael Owen for example. Impossible to know how much of Marriott's injuries are due to conditioning and how much are due to genetics.  

I wouldn't mind Sturridge here if the terms were good for the club. He'd be a bit of a gamble, but he's the sort of player that Stretton could learn a lot from - positioning, finishing etc. If he is interested in coming in to be a squad player, help develop some of our younger players and not expect to be the main man then he could be a useful addition. We still got some good performances and goals from Darren Bent who was a similar player at a similar stage in his career when he joined.

1 hour ago, roboto said:

I wouldn't mind Sturridge here if the terms were good for the club. He'd be a bit of a gamble, but he's the sort of player that Stretton could learn a lot from - positioning, finishing etc. If he is interested in coming in to be a squad player, help develop some of our younger players and not expect to be the main man then he could be a useful addition. We still got some good performances and goals from Darren Bent who was a similar player at a similar stage in his career when he joined.

I think Bent was a couple of years younger than Sturridge is now and had a better record with injuries. Interesting thought but I think it would be a negligent waste of wages 

10 minutes ago, Jram said:

I think Bent was a couple of years younger than Sturridge is now and had a better record with injuries. Interesting thought but I think it would be a negligent waste of wages 

Sturridge is 31 now as was Bent when he first joined on loan.

I get the injury concerns, but... Sturridge has had some time away (in which he's lookked like he's kept himself fit) which will have helped him by not putting a regular strain on areas where he's picked up injuries before. A good pre-season would get him up to speed with the rest of the squad.

I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't write him off if he did join.

Would’ve loved Sturridge this time last season but I question why he’s been out of the game for a season. Same goes for Huddlestone. Surely they’d rather play football for less money than they want than not play at all? But the evidence suggests otherwise.

On 06/06/2021 at 11:30, DCFC1388 said:

Do we actually know whats Rooneys style of play is / will be this upcoming season?

He has openly stated that he picked his style of play on a game to game basis. This summer he will have the time to get the team playing the way he actually wants.

does 35 out of 46 games last season not class as enough time?

On 06/06/2021 at 12:23, DCFC1388 said:

I would expect a style to emerge if he was trying to get a style in place but he wasn't. Whether his game to game worked or not thats what he did, and we just managed to stay up. We cant judge his style though until we actually get to see it. Maybe he was implementing his style during our winning run but had to alter it once Bielik was out due to having no quality backup option

Yes i would also have expected a style to have emerged by now if he was trying. The point is, why the hell was he not!?

As for whether his game to game worked or not, clearly it didn't. We would be in league 1 now but for Sheff Wed starting on -6 points, and Marlon Pack scoring last minute v Rotherham. Both completely out of our control.

Results were going reasonably well with Bielik in the side, and us playing 4-3-3. But i honestly can't understand why Bielik getting injured means Rooney deciding to completely change formation and tactics. I'm fairly sure Shinnie or even Bird, or maybe even Baningime could have covered the Bielik role until the end of the season. Sure we would probably concede a little more goals, but why abandon a system that was working so well. 

It's true we can't judge properly until we see his actual style of play, but what i seen last season massively worries me. I remember Rooney saying near end of the season, we played well in every game bar the Cardiff & Preston ones. Just to clarify, 1 win in 15 games✔️, Boring Football✔️, Bizarre tactics✔️, Strange substitutions✔️, Making players look worse ✔️, Worst win % and Points per Game since Paul Jewell✔️. I mean if Wayne thinks that's decent, just imagine where we'd be if we weren't very good?

On 06/06/2021 at 13:54, DCFC1388 said:

Dont get me wrong, I think he should have tried to implement his own style and he had plenty of time to do it too, but my point is that he didnt implement his own style so until he does we cant really judge it not being attacking enough etc

the point is though, he didn't implement any style. So he is responsible for us almost getting relegated. Managers get sacked for losing games whatever style they play, he chose not to have any real style and we lost games. Why should he be let off the hook because we haven't seen what he can do yet? We could be waiting forever for that, who's to say it will ever actually happen?

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Yes i would also have expected a style to have emerged by now if he was trying. The point is, why the hell was he not!?

As for whether his game to game worked or not, clearly it didn't. We would be in league 1 now but for Sheff Wed starting on -6 points, and Marlon Pack scoring last minute v Rotherham. Both completely out of our control.

Results were going reasonably well with Bielik in the side, and us playing 4-3-3. But i honestly can't understand why Bielik getting injured means Rooney deciding to completely change formation and tactics. I'm fairly sure Shinnie or even Bird, or maybe even Baningime could have covered the Bielik role until the end of the season. Sure we would probably concede a little more goals, but why abandon a system that was working so well. 

It's true we can't judge properly until we see his actual style of play, but what i seen last season massively worries me. I remember Rooney saying near end of the season, we played well in every game bar the Cardiff & Preston ones. Just to clarify, 1 win in 15 games✔️, Boring Football✔️, Bizarre tactics✔️, Strange substitutions✔️, Making players look worse ✔️, Worst win % and Points per Game since Paul Jewell✔️. I mean if Wayne thinks that's decent, just imagine where we'd be if we weren't very good?

Im not saying he shouldnt have tried to get us playing a certain way or that we even played well. I think a lot of what he said to the media was to try and keep spirits up more than anything, just like about how he said about us 100% staying up but expected it to go to the last game.

Yes you can say Sheff W -6 points kept us up & Cardiffs late goal but we had 10mins+ left to play after Rotherhams game ended, had Rotherham won we would've had to go for it in the last 10 rather than sit in the way we did, whether we would have won who knows but Cardiffs goal meant we knew a draw was enough and we played knowing that. As for Sheff W -6 points, that was done before Rooney took over, had they not been deducted those points the mindset of every other club in the relegation battle would have been different as well as ours, who is to say if they didnt get -6 we wouldnt have got more points anyway to catch them up. Its easy to just say Cardiffs goal & the -6 points kept us up but had they not happened nobody knows if we would or wouldnt have still stayed up.

I could be wrong but im sure after Bieliks injury he did try 433 for a couple of games with Bird in there as he originally said we didnt need to replace Bielik in the transfer window as he had faith in Bird to step up, it didnt quite happen so he changed formation.

13 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

the point is though, he didn't implement any style. So he is responsible for us almost getting relegated. Managers get sacked for losing games whatever style they play, he chose not to have any real style and we lost games. Why should he be let off the hook because we haven't seen what he can do yet? We could be waiting forever for that, who's to say it will ever actually happen?

Im not letting him off the hook etc, you havent read what my original reply was to. People were saying it doesnt matter who we sign, with Rooney in charge we wont score etc with his style of play....my point was we dont know what his style of play is or will be next season to make the judgement.

FWIW id rather Rooney not be in charge, I didnt think he should have got the job in the first place.

Edited by DCFC1388

37 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Im not letting him off the hook etc, you havent read what my original reply was to. People were saying it doesnt matter who we sign, with Rooney in charge we wont score etc with his style of play....my point was we dont know what his style of play is or will be next season to make the judgement.

FWIW id rather Rooney not be in charge, I didnt think he should have got the job in the first place.

I don’t get how it takes more than 35 games for a Manager to decide what style of football he wants his team to play….

54 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

We can’t afford to sack him, if we could he would be gone….

Derby missed the boat.

MK Dons have confirmed the signing of Scott Twine, an attacking midfielder who scored 13 goals last season. The attacking midfielder joined mk dons on a ‘long-term’ contract from Swindon Town.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Derby missed the boat.

MK Dons have confirmed the signing of Scott Twine, an attacking midfielder who scored 13 goals last season. The attacking midfielder joined mk dons on a ‘long-term’ contract from Swindon Town.

Missed the boat or weren’t interested in the first place?