Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good interview, spoke well as always, also briefly shows him tearing into the 4th official at full time. I really hope the takeover is sorted and he stays with us next season. He’s learning on the job and is far from the finished article but that connection to the club and his passion will be vital in transitioning out of this mess ? 

30 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m sure it’s all mind games, but I’m not a fan of our manager calling for a referee to be banned for making a mistake.

You're definitely right, but a lot of the blame for that type of reaction lies with the press. They keep pressing him to say something about the referee's performance, knowing that important decisions were or weren't made, and depending on how soon after the match has finished I'm sure his answer would change considerably.

On 10/04/2022 at 08:27, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m sure it’s all mind games, but I’m not a fan of our manager calling for a referee to be banned for making a mistake.

We have had 4 penalties this season , the same as 8 other teams . Some teams have only had one. Pushing and pulling happens all the time especially at corners. It just hurts more when you are fighting for your lives.

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

We have had 4 penalties this season , the same as 8 other teams . Some teams have only had one. Pushing and pulling happens all the time especially at corners. It just hurts more when you are fighting for your lives.

Agree with this. If we were mid-table I doubt the refereeing would have had as much focus. It's because every decision counts and we feel the injustice acutely when it doesn't go our way. In the last few weeks we've also had a fair few marginal decisions go our way too.

In fairness to WR, he has cut a hugely frustrated figure in the last couple of months, knowing that admin stuff outside of his control has ruined our chances and put the long term future of the club in further jeapordy. It's not difficult to see how this frustration spills out onto some poor refereeing.

I would have sooner that energy went into figuring out how to convert our away performances into points on the board but it's unfair to criticise given the hand he's been dealt!!

On 10/04/2022 at 08:27, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He has made several mistakes in every game he has refereed this season and all against us. 

17 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

He has made several mistakes in every game he has refereed this season and all against us. 

We've moaned about referees pretty much every single week for as long as I've been a supporter.

It baffles me that people don't just accept that it's either a really hard job or a training/funding issue. 

Like the quote from the ESPN interview that angieram posted.

"...it was Rooney's first live event with the media at the team's training center since his tenure as manager began more than a year ago. And there was a lot to talk about.

Rooney is only 36, but there is gray in his beard. His look is fleshy and middle-aged, heading toward Ernest Hemingway."

Edited by RoyMac5