Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Dimmu said:

To be tactically beaten by Mowbray third time in a row doesn't sound too good. What makes it worse is that Mowbray is hardly a tactical genius himself...

Some murmurs about playing from the back in a matchday thread. I do like it how Rooney sticks with it, all the great managers have been more or less stubborn after all.

Wasn't tactics that beat us, it was aggression and strength disrupting our under strength and youthful team.

Mowbray's half time team talk was 'get stuck in' and his tactical masterplan was sticking the big lad up front.

From what he said after the match he told them at half time we'd be under pressure and to go long if needed.

Then he's relying on the players intelligence to know when to go long and when to play it out.

Whilst he's been brilliant recently, it all stemmed from Allsop yesterday. Putting us under unnecessary pressure.

The second goal came from him passing a ball to Bird when he was being pressed.

One final thing, whilst Cashin has been good since coming in, we've also conceded a lot of goals.

Personally I'd be going with experience now in Stearman. It's not a slight on Cashin at all.

I just think now isn't the time to be playing a young unproven kid at centre half when we don't need to.

25 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Wasn't tactics that beat us, it was aggression and strength disrupting our under strength and youthful team.

Mowbray's half time team talk was 'get stuck in' and his tactical masterplan was sticking the big lad up front.

Of course it was Mowbray's tactics that beat us! Substituting big lad upfront and playmaker capable of scoring at the half-time (as we didn't have a proper defensive midfielder) is very much a tactical switch. 

Yes, physical attributes, especially Gallagher's, lead to that but main thing was the substitutions. Johnson was most likely giving place as a second striker to nullify Bielik. As Bielik was not playing, throwing Dack in was no-brainer. If aggression and strength were the key attributes, then Johnson would've been a better option, right? Also, Gallagher as a striker replaced their right wing back. Couldn't be much more tactical substitution.

I hope there's a good reason not to play Bielik in such a physical game. Otherwise it was a huge mistake.

10 hours ago, Dimmu said:

To be tactically beaten by Mowbray third time in a row doesn't sound too good. What makes it worse is that Mowbray is hardly a tactical genius himself...

Some murmurs about playing from the back in a matchday thread. I do like it how Rooney sticks with it, all the great managers have been more or less stubborn after all.

To put that in perspective, Mowbray has been a manager 20 years, Rooney just over a year.

Rooney is still learning.

Also, Mowbray has a settled squad whereas Rooney has had vital players effectively given away.

Nobody in here hears the team talks and truly knows what he's trying to do tactically, so a lot of talk about tactics is guessing.

Similarly, we don't know if teenagers are just not sticking to task rather than being given the wrong ones.

Tactics rarely overcome a lack of talent or  a massive shortage of experience.

It's the latter that is really hamstringing Rooney.

At the moment and imho, Rooney isn't part of the problem. I doubt Cloughie could have done a better job of galvanising the club.

On 16/03/2022 at 08:54, Dimmu said:

Of course it was Mowbray's tactics that beat us! Substituting big lad upfront and playmaker capable of scoring at the half-time (as we didn't have a proper defensive midfielder) is very much a tactical switch. 

Yes, physical attributes, especially Gallagher's, lead to that but main thing was the substitutions. Johnson was most likely giving place as a second striker to nullify Bielik. As Bielik was not playing, throwing Dack in was no-brainer. If aggression and strength were the key attributes, then Johnson would've been a better option, right? Also, Gallagher as a striker replaced their right wing back. Couldn't be much more tactical substitution.

I hope there's a good reason not to play Bielik in such a physical game. Otherwise it was a huge mistake.

Rooney gave a good reason yesterday - he recognises the fact that Bielik still has some way to go in his recovery from 2 potentially career-threatening injuries and is having to be mindful of that.