F1 2021

Gaspode

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

How biased can you be? It's one thing to say you support Max, it's another thing all together to try and pretend that the FIA didn't duck up and ruin the race as a result lol. Show a bit of honesty! 

They nearly ducked it up by not penalizing lewis at the start of the race when he remained on the racetrack in front of max.....

As I say tho,the right result in the end.

( note,I'm not actually a massive verstappen or red bull fan,I've traditionally always favoured williams and Ferrari but this is the best result for the sport in my opinion)

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

F1 isn't a fair sport, and, it never has been. I love it, but, it's never been a clean fight, it's always been political, financial, technical skulduggery. It's just sometimes brilliant as well. 

Not in the slightest bit surprised the protests didn't get anywhere.

The stewards deciding race control had not followed procedure and that by not following the procedure changed the outcome was always going to be a long shot. Not just controversial,but basically saying "we're so incompetent at running the show that we had to undo the final result". 

I saw someone (F1 youtuber, not someone ITK) on twitter suggesting that the unofficial policy has been "make the most entertaining decision, not the letter of the rules" all season - which I think is an astute observation.

Shocking decision yet somehow seems correct.

I thought Lewis was fortunate to not be be penalised on Lap 1, thereafter drove brilliantly.

Max kept plugging away, taking advantage of every free pitstop that came his way, until we came to the bizarre ending. 

If Lewis had yielded position on Lap One, maybe he'd have been the beneficiary at the end of the race?

I fully expected it to end under a safety car, yet Masi interpreted the rule book in a way few others would, and we had the result we did, he's got enough experience to call it as he sees fit.

Going forward, get those restart rules down in black and white, with no room for interpretation, and end tyre changes under a red flag.

F1 finally completed its transition from Sport to Sports Entertainment today.

Verstappen is an absolutely worthy world champion and has proved it over the longest F1 season in history. The World Championship was not just decided today, but over 21 rounds where he has gone wheel to wheel with an all-time legend of the sport and come out on top.

BUT... F1 and the FIA need to get a grip. The sporting regulations should be first and foremost, the show comes second, otherwise you end up with WWE. In this instance ,the regulations have not been stuck to, have been changed on a whim and have been manipulated by an incompetent race director and a governing body too concerned with not upsetting it's paymasters. And not just today with the farcical back markers situation, but throughout the season too.

Red Bull I think were ungentlemanly in their conduct by allowing Perez to weave around and park it on the exit of corners to obstruct Hamilton. Not unlawful and all the other teams would likely have done the same but it left a sour taste. Can't imagine Jim Clark or Graham Hill doing that.

It seems inevitable to me that Mercedes' argument will now head to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, where the result will likely not change the name on the trophy. I can see them perhaps winning the appeal that the race was not completed in line with the regulations but I think the result of that will be a voiding of the result of the race, with the championship remaining Max's on number of victories.

Masi should resign, but with the final decision being upheld, the choice has been made by Liberty that the show, that entertainment, comes before sporting integrity and so he's probably going nowhere. Indeed he's probably their ideal choice.

A spectacle for sure, but not really a sport when the rules can be applied as and when the officials decide.

Congratulations to Verstappen, commiserations to Hamilton, who's conduct has been a credit to the 'World Champion' tag this season, hopefully his successor can take a leaf out of his page now he is no longer merely a challenger.

47 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Well that’s like winning 3-0 and going into time added on and the ref says next goal’s the winner.

Yes, I was trying to think of good football analogy. That’s the one. 

you can take it further and say that cos Mercedes knew you can’t do ‘next goals the winner’ they’d already subbed off their strikers. RB have subbed on a load of strikers as their last roll of the dice, and then the red decides to change the rules on a whim. So it’s not even as fair as ‘next goals the winner’ it’s ‘next goals the winner, but only one team has strikers on the pitch.’

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

I thought that was just hard, but fair racing.

It's was Chicos job to not allow Hamilton an easy pass, and he did it well.

I think a driver who is completely uninvolved in the title fight should have a bit of grace and not affect the outcome. It was a straight dual between Hamilton and Verstappen. Perez getting in the way just artificially affected the contest. Although it probably didn't actually make a difference in the end, just think it was ungentlemanly. 

Probably unrealistic to expect post circa 1975 on my part. At least there was no contact.

I'm fine with Max being world champion. I don't like him but I don't feel tribal loyalty in any other sport. He's a young and exciting brilliant racer. 

But how is this the right decision?

Good for the sport? Probably

Have Mercedes got away with a few incidents that could have seen Max further ahead? Yeah maybe. I'd argue so have Red Bull but let's for arguments sake say that Horner crying every 2 minutes was justified. 

But today. Lewis on that first lap somehow earned him the right to be utterly robbed on the last lap? Really? I mean come on. Nobody believes that

I 100% think he got away with one there. But that at the end wasn't equal. It wasn't karma. Pushing the limits and debatable decisions is one thing. But that was a foul on the halfway line being given as a penalty!!

That is not the way Lewis deserved to have his record breaking attempt blow up in his face. 

They removed traffic and let fresh tyres Max get up his bum and race him to the finish line. 

And people are saying right result, fair result and karma? That's amazing. 

Amazing how that incident, that total mess can be called fair or understandable. They broke their own rules. If a referee changed the rules of a football match would the result ever be seem as fair. Just start letting one team field 25 players. 

That went beyond pushing limits and debatable decisions. They literally bent Lewis over so Verstappen could take a good old run up. 

Well done Max. Great driver. But feck off with the way he won that. He was very much losing that title until the FIA stepped in