F1 2021

Gaspode

12 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I think a driver who is completely uninvolved in the title fight should have a bit of grace and not affect the outcome. It was a straight dual between Hamilton and Verstappen. Perez getting in the way just artificially affected the contest. Although it probably didn't actually make a difference in the end, just think it was ungentlemanly. 

Probably unrealistic to expect post circa 1975 on my part. At least there was no contact.

Don't forget the two teams were also fighting for the constructors championship, which is where the big coin is earned. 

A race ending mistake from Hamilton while trying to overtake Perez could have blown it wide open.

26 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I think a driver who is completely uninvolved in the title fight should have a bit of grace and not affect the outcome. It was a straight dual between Hamilton and Verstappen. Perez getting in the way just artificially affected the contest. Although it probably didn't actually make a difference in the end, just think it was ungentlemanly. 

Probably unrealistic to expect post circa 1975 on my part. At least there was no contact.

Perez was a racing driver driving in the grand Prix. It was his job to race him. He wasn't being lapped FFS...

It's quite dismissive of a 7 time world Champion who holds multiple records in the sport

Who even today started 2nd on the grid, battled 2 Red Bulls alone and had to take good care of his tyres for so long yet still held onto first place and was putting in brilliant lap times vs Verstappen before the crash. 

Lewis may have the car of the era but its a bit like the Tuesday night at Stoke thing. 

How much do Mercedes owe to him? How much of their success has come from him. He's a beast! 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

It's quite dismissive of a 7 time world Champion who holds multiple records in the sport

Who even today started 2nd on the grid, battled 2 Red Bulls alone and had to take good care of his tyres for so long yet still held onto first place and was putting in brilliant lap times vs Verstappen before the crash. 

Lewis may have the car of the era but its a bit like the Tuesday night at Stoke thing. 

How much do Mercedes owe to him? How much of their success has come from him. He's a beast! 

Greatest driver in the history of F1 in my opinion. Anyone dismissing his record at Mercedes is being entirely ignorant of just how had it is to maintain that level of dominance, the mercs have always had good cars but it's been pretty close in some seasons, the difference is the way Lewis is piloting the car.

Mercedes owe him everything. He'll be back next season to compete at the very top again. Hopefully number 8 isn't stolen from him next time! 

27 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Greatest driver in the history of F1 in my opinion. Anyone dismissing his record at Mercedes is being entirely ignorant of just how had it is to maintain that level of dominance, the mercs have always had good cars but it's been pretty close in some seasons, the difference is the way Lewis is piloting the car.

Mercedes owe him everything. He'll be back next season to compete at the very top again. Hopefully number 8 isn't stolen from him next time! 

Surely you want to see a competition? Hamilton has sleepwalked his way through the last 4 years with no competition. I say thank god for Max actually making a season of it. If it wasn’t for him Hamilton would have won again with 5 races to spare, the way the so called GOAT normally likes to operate. 

58 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

It’s not taking poo. Max would beat Hamilton in equal machinery. 

And yet Adrian Newey, Chief Technology Officer of the Red Bull Racing Team and the greatest race car designer of his era, when interviewed immediately after the race, stated unequivocally that for majority of the season, the Red Bull was the faster car. 

Whoosh....

6 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

And yet Adrian Newey, Chief Technology Officer of the Red Bull Racing Team and the greatest race car designer of his era, when interviewed immediately after the race, stated unequivocally that for majority of the season, the Red Bull was the faster car. 

Whoosh....

I’ve just watch it back and Newey actually said ….”on balance we’ve had the quicker car”. He never said unequivocally they had the quicker car for the majority of the season ?

No one can dispute that Max is a worthy world champion. He is an incredible talent and he’s had a phenomenal season. But that wasn’t right today. I agree with @JoetheRam and my mate said the same thing, this is F1 not WWE.

Max and his team may have pulled out that lap for pole position but he made the mistake under pressure in Q2 where he knackered his race tyres so had to switch to the soft tyres, good for the start but bad for the race. No mistakes from Hamilton.

Despite being on inferior tyres for the start Hamilton absolutely nails it and beats him to the first corner easily. Hamilton brilliance under pressure. Then Max dives down the inside of him and Lewis kept the place despite going off track. I disagree with Brundle on this, if Hamilton had tried to make the track it would’ve been race ending collision despite it being his corner, Max would be champion, he had nowhere to go. Similar incident in Brazil no action was taken. Hopefully there will be a few more title rivals next season and Max will have more collisions that will stop him in his tracks - still it will be everyone else’s fault.

Hamilton then drives away even responding to Verstappen when he was on much newer tyres Horner saying on sky they need a miracle. They got it with the safety car and then FIA set up a one lap shoot out that was the equivalent of Man City v Grimsby Town. Lewis was a sitting duck. If Max had stayed on his 20 odd lap old tyres v Lewis on 45 lap old tyres it would’ve been a fairer fight - Max may have pulled it off but it would have been a lot more palletable. Lewis deserved the victory today and no one can justify otherwise.

I think the appeal from Mercedes is more about making the FIA sort it’s poo out for next season. 

Max is a worthy champion but Lewis has shown his brilliance this season with an inferior car for 60% of it. He’s been a true champion this season not only with how he drove but the way he has conducted himself, very gracious in defeat. Verstappen  didn’t even acknowledge Hamilton until prompted by Button.

Lewis didn’t deserve that but can be proud of what he’s done this season. F1 needed a new champion, hopefully Max will now start behaving like one. Max and Red Bull can’t play the victim card and criticise stewards/race director (as it seems they’ve done at every race) ever again after today. They owe them big time. 

25 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Surely you want to see a competition? Hamilton has sleepwalked his way through the last 4 years with no competition. I say thank god for Max actually making a season of it. If it wasn’t for him Hamilton would have won again with 5 races to spare, the way the so called GOAT normally likes to operate. 

I want to see the best driver win. If it is Hamilton for 5 years in a row, I'm happy for that. If it's 10, I'm still happy with that. You really think it's an insult that Lewis is so good he wins before the end? ?

I enjoy seeing two good drivers push each other, but if the winner is decided by a rule breaching decision, that leaves a sour taste.

12 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I’ve just watch it back and Newey actually said ….”on balance we’ve had the quicker car”. He never said unequivocally they had the quicker car for the majority of the season ?

So you were wrong then. Good of you to admit it. 

For balance, here's a brief resume of the man you disagree with:

Adrian Newey, OBE (born 26 December 1958) is a British Formula One engineer. He is currently the chief technical officer of the Red Bull Racing Formula One team.

Newey has worked in both Formula One and IndyCar racing as a race engineer, aerodynamicist, designer and technical director and enjoyed success in both categories. Considered one of the best engineers in Formula One, Newey's designs have won numerous titles and over 150 Grands Prix. With ten Constructors' Championships he has won more than any other designer and is the only designer to have won constructors' titles with three different Formula One teams, while seven different drivers have won the Drivers' Championship driving Newey's designs. After designing championship-winning Formula One cars for Williams F1 and McLaren, Newey moved to Red Bull Racing in 2006, his cars winning the Formula One drivers' and constructors' championships consecutively from 2010 to 2013, and the drivers’ championship in 2021.[1] Newey's designs also won the 1985 and 1986 CART titles.[2]

And to further aid your understanding of my post:

image.png.32818c0f02e53fa1230d825aefbe715c.png

You know, like saying 'On balance, we've had the quicker car'. He's not really left a lot of room for interpretation there, has he, or can you explain how that unequivocal statement could be interpreted to imply that on balance, the RB car was slower?  ?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I want to see the best driver win. If it is Hamilton for 5 years in a row, I'm happy for that. If it's 10, I'm still happy with that. You really think it's an insult that Lewis is so good he wins before the end? ?

I enjoy seeing two good drivers push each other, but if the winner is decided by a rule breaching decision, that leaves a sour taste.

Yeah yeah yeah Lewis is the GOAT I know. I hope he’s up for nomination for SPOTY 2021. I promise to vote for him. 

Just now, Remy the hare said:

Yeah yeah yeah Lewis is the GOAT I know. I hope he’s up for nomination for SPOTY 2021. I promise to vote for him. 

Genuinely curious why you seem to dislike Lewis so much? He's a phenomenal driver, sticks to the rules, is humble and respectful and a great role model for the whole sport. And on top of that, he's a Brit! 

9 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So you were wrong then. Good of you to admit it. 

For balance, here's a brief resume of the man you disagree with:

Adrian Newey, OBE (born 26 December 1958) is a British Formula One engineer. He is currently the chief technical officer of the Red Bull Racing Formula One team.

Newey has worked in both Formula One and IndyCar racing as a race engineer, aerodynamicist, designer and technical director and enjoyed success in both categories. Considered one of the best engineers in Formula One, Newey's designs have won numerous titles and over 150 Grands Prix. With ten Constructors' Championships he has won more than any other designer and is the only designer to have won constructors' titles with three different Formula One teams, while seven different drivers have won the Drivers' Championship driving Newey's designs. After designing championship-winning Formula One cars for Williams F1 and McLaren, Newey moved to Red Bull Racing in 2006, his cars winning the Formula One drivers' and constructors' championships consecutively from 2010 to 2013, and the drivers’ championship in 2021.[1] Newey's designs also won the 1985 and 1986 CART titles.[2]

And to further aid your understanding of my post:

image.png.32818c0f02e53fa1230d825aefbe715c.png

You know, like saying 'On balance, we've had the quicker car'. He's not really left a lot of room for interpretation there, has he, or can you explain how that unequivocal statement could be interpreted to imply that on balance, the RB car was slower?  ?

He never uttered the word “majority”. So you are wrong. He said “on the balance” meaning taking everything into consideration. Your just twisting words to suit.

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Genuinely curious why you seem to dislike Lewis so much? He's a phenomenal driver, sticks to the rules, is humble and respectful and a great role model for the whole sport. And on top of that, he's a Brit! 

I think in my opinion he’s overhyped. He’s been very very fortunate that he’s raced in an era for a team with total dominance and only during the Rosberg years did he not get things all his own way. Furthermore he’s raced an era of more racers per season and unreal reliability, so of course he will break all records.