F1 2021

Gaspode

30 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I try not to think of how RB and Verstappen would be right now if the boot was on the other foot. 

Makes me think of flying to Abu Dhabi armed with bad intentions and a pitch fork. 

You would be better driving down to London armed with your bad intentions and a pitch fork and taking it out on those tossers at EFL H ouse

I think the problem is Mercedes are now saying that if they had known under the safety car the 5 lapped cars would have been allowed to unlap themselves then Hamilton would have pitted for softs. However RB are saying if that would have happened Max would have rolled the dice and stay out on his used hards and would have had track position in first position. Then either the race would have end with Max first under the safety car or Hamilton would have had to pass Max on the final lap if it was restarted. If it was the latter (restart), I’m sure there would have been a good chance it would have ended up with them crashing. 
Merc’s augmented are a bit like Steve Gibson’s all ifs and buts. 

23 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sure that's relevant. Had the rules been adhered to the GP would have finished under the safety car so that defence is completely moot. The safety car can only leave the track at the end of the lap AFTER the track is cleared, not the same lap. As you say, I agree  that the FIA will likely try to wriggle out of their predicament but would a civil court find in RB's favour? I'd venture that's rather less cut and dried. If Merc make it clear that's their next option should the FIA choose to ignore their responsibilities, will the governing body be so keen to gloss over their errors or will they have to take their licks and do what is right. After the great publicity the sport has enjoyed this season, the FIA has managed to totally destroy the good will earned, so there are arguably wider issues in play too should they wish viewing figures to remain buoyant.

Exactly, the rule states the safety car will come in at the end of the following lap (which would have been the final lap) after the last lapped car goes past the leader, not about 5 seconds later at the end of the same lap!

28 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

You would be better driving down to London armed with your bad intentions and a pitch fork and taking it out on those tossers at EFL H ouse

You’d be going in the wrong direction, the EFL are based in Preston ?

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

A final thought... While we consider the feelings of Horner, Verstappen and co, were the shoe on the other foot, does anyone seriously doubt that they would have appealed and if necessarily pushed it all the way to the civil courts to get the race result corrected and justice served? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Honestly, if I feel sorry for anyone it's Hamilton. Today and over the course of the season, he has earned the right to reign supreme at the top of the all-time charts only to see one man's folly rip it away from him. It may be hard on Max but surely there's a rulebook for a reason! This is not football and quite rightly, where retrospective rulings have been needed, they have have always been made (though not with Ferrari, I concede) Why should this be any different?

We kind of did learn what they would do on the other foot when we heard their radio:

’max, they’re not going to make the lapped cars unlap themselves’

’what, that’s a joke, they can’t do that, they’ll be in my way.’

But if they didn’t do that, then the race would’ve just ended under safety car, that’s the only option that at least gives him a chance to take advantage of the safety car. They’re doing him a favour. 

Lo and behold, a few moments later they make the decision to only let the cars between him and Lewis get out of the way, just in time for the safety car to leave the track. 

I suspect RB might have bitched and moaned at that point which got the original decision overturned, knowing full well that decision would get them the win.

I’d have no sympathy for them if the title was stripped, as I suspect they manipulated the stewards to go for option 3, which isn’t actually an option that exists. So it’s a mess of their own making. 

28 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I think the problem is Mercedes are now saying that if they had known under the safety car the 5 lapped cars would have been allowed to unlap themselves then Hamilton would have pitted for softs. However RB are saying if that would have happened Max would have rolled the dice and stay out on his used hards and would have had track position in first position. Then either the race would have end with Max first under the safety car or Hamilton would have had to pass Max on the final lap if it was restarted. If it was the latter (restart), I’m sure there would have been a good chance it would have ended up with them crashing. 
Merc’s augmented are a bit like Steve Gibson’s all ifs and buts. 

That’s a very fair argument. Mercedes made a decision based on the assumption that the FIA would just follow the rules in this situation. RB had nothing to loose by pitting, on the off chance the FIA did something weird. If Merc pitted they would have lost the position. The only reason to do that would be if they knew the FIA were going to do something weird. But why would you assume that? You would assume that they would follow the rules as they are written, the race will end under safety car conditions, and therefore keeping the place is the sensible decision. It’s not playing it safe, pitting would have been an insane and unnecessary gamble. 

had they know what the FIA were going to do, they would have done something different. But you shouldn’t have to guess whether or not the officials will follow the rules. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I used to love F1 in the 70s' and 80s' and then got a bit bored with it tbh.

I decided to watch today just because I have have SS and had nothing going on and got sucked in by the hype.

I didn't really care who won. It would be nice to have a Brit win 8 times, but I also have a soft spot for the Dutch and their rabid supporters so I thought it would be cool for them to have a world champ.

What an utter embarrassing cluster for the entire sport and now I realise why I drifted away from it.

Hamilton was cruising when one accident allowed MV back in.

He then started cruising to a win again when another accident let MV back in.

Then he has a 13 second lead wiped out and he has to start level to a man on new soft tyres with one lap left.

Who an earth can think any of that made any sense or was fair and when did Mel Morris take over F1?

Exactly my position. I was sucked in by the hype and thought I'd give it another go after decades of non-watching what to me had become a tedious procession. I thought it would be great to watch a sporting finale unencumbered by having to worry about contrived rules, legal small print and drawn out appeals etc that supporting Derby had become...

The FIA may have shot themselves in the foot here, as in trying to make it a more exciting spectacle by bizarrely suddenly changing the rules during the crucial part of a race, they've turned people off like me as World of Sport wrestling on ITV Saturday afternoons with Dickie Davies feels less fixed (one for the kids, there).

23 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Exactly my position. I was sucked in by the hype and thought I'd give it another go after decades of non-watching what to me had become a tedious procession. I thought it would be great to watch a sporting finale unencumbered by having to worry about contrived rules, legal small print and drawn out appeals etc that supporting Derby had become...

The FIA may have shot themselves in the foot here, as in trying to make it a more exciting spectacle by bizarrely suddenly changing the rules during the crucial part of a race, they've turned people off like me as World of Sport wrestling on ITV Saturday afternoons with Dickie Davies feels less fixed (one for the kids, there).

Dickie Davies is still alive!

Sorry if Dickie is reading this, but I just checked to see when he died and he hasn't.

Well done Dickie!

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The correct result,looking forwards to next season now,should be as epic as this one.

How biased can you be? It's one thing to say you support Max, it's another thing all together to try and pretend that the FIA didn't duck up and ruin the race as a result lol. Show a bit of honesty!