F1 2021

Gaspode

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm oscillating wildly between the two opposing notions. If it were me, I'd walk now. He's nothing left to prove and his legacy is secured. That said, he's always been a scrapper and I'm not sure that he won't be thinking duck yous lot, I'll show you. And an 8th title to complete the set of F1 records smashed must be tempting, especially given the development that Merc are reputed to have done to meet the new, 'racier' 2022 technical regs, as per @Andicis's post.

Selfishly, I'd love to see him stay and put Verstappen in his place, but really, he owes the sport and us fans nothing. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Whatever happens, Red Bull and Verstappen in particular would do well not to underestimate George Russell. 

You could definitely see a world where he walks away. It'd absolutely crush the sport, Lewis himself is bigger than the sport of F1 these days. It just doesn't seem like him to me, he's a born winner and competitor, I don't think it's in his nature to walk away. I think he'll want to compete as long as he can. Plus how big of a duck you would that to be the FIA who have been desperately trying to pretend Schumacher's record.

Obviously it's too early to predict which the best teams of the new season will be, I think Red Bull could well struggle and find themselves below Ferrari in the pecking order, even McLaren could put out a pretty competitive car, most teams saved their development tokens other than Red Bull, who also have their engine supplier Honda pulling back and beginning to transition away. 

I do worry for George if Hamilton was to walk away, playing second fiddle and learning off the greatest will do him a world of good, I think it's a pretty bright spot light to be thrust in as Mercedes number one driver off the back of 8 consecutive constructors wins! 

So, of course, after the Abu Dhabi race finished the way it did, the crash that instigated the safety car got a lot of attention. Of the predicable social media abuse, threats of violence, threats of violence towards loved ones etc sort of attention.

It's Latifi and he binned it racing a Haas for position, kind of not great racing from him but hardly the Machiavellian scheming of Nelson piquet jr... well, ok, Jr's bosses.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

14 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

There are stories going round on MSN.COM that Hamilton looking to retire and Mercedes are maybe going to recall Bottas as there driver if he does. No smoke without fire. 

I'd be sad if Hamilton does retire like this. I'd also be sad if they bring back Bottas - yes Bottas can be quick but he's really not got that champion mentality. I know it's a logical and sensible move for Merc and probably "actually do-able" but unless they are really sure about Russell it's effectivly conceeding the 2022 title to Max/Red Bull already.

If Lewis does retire, my take would be to do everything to get Gasly signed up. Probably the best "not in a top car yet" driver and after being passed over for the second red bull seat two years in a row, miight be disillusioned enough to go. If that doesn't work, get on the phone to Fernando and say "So Fred, that 3rd title still something you're into?"

Ocon and Lando are probably too hard toget with both being long term hopes for their teams. Gasly wouldn't be easy either, but as with Danny Ric, feeling the cold side of Horner might just make him do it.

I just can't really get behind Bottas.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd be sad if Hamilton does retire like this. I'd also be sad if they bring back Bottas - yes Bottas can be quick but he's really not got that champion mentality. I know it's a logical and sensible move for Merc and probably "actually do-able" but unless they are really sure about Russell it's effectivly conceeding the 2022 title to Max/Red Bull already.

If Lewis does retire, my take would be to do everything to get Gasly signed up. Probably the best "not in a top car yet" driver and after being passed over for the second red bull seat two years in a row, miight be disillusioned enough to go. If that doesn't work, get on the phone to Fernando and say "So Fred, that 3rd title still something you're into?"

Ocon and Lando are probably too hard toget with both being long term hopes for their teams. Gasly wouldn't be easy either, but as with Danny Ric, feeling the cold side of Horner might just make him do it.

I just can't really get behind Bottas.

I agree with you about Bottas a backward step if Hamilton retires, I don't think Horner would allow Gasly to go to Mercedes Wouldn't it be great if Alonso was in a Mercedes? I really believe he could win a 3rd championship with them. But I'm really hoping Hamilton does race for 2022, I still believe that him and Verstappen are far superior to anyone else on the grid at present and to see them race again next year would be good for F1. One thing the FIA need to do now is sack Massi because he is incompetent. 

Happy days.

Obviously the regulation shake up is a bit of an unknow, but it's surely a case of which out of Max/RBR and LH/Merc come out the box with an edge rather than either being hilariously far back (although, i would be highly amused if red bull completely spanner their new car and it's an utter dog)

As there's not going to be much F1 until pre season testing comes around, I've been quite enjoying the "the movie of the race" long highlights from the WEC, makes endurence racing a bit more managable when it's been condensed into a 1hr ish package.