F1 2021

Gaspode

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Narcissistic man-child. He's being persecuted by the FIA he reckons...

Max Verstappen says he is treated differently from other drivers when it comes to the rules on fair racing.

His comments raise the stakes at the start of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend, where Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton will race to decide this year's Formula 1 title.

Verstappen said: "It seems other drivers do the same things and only I get a penalty.

"The only thing I ask is that it's fair for everyone. That's not the case."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59593834

It's his mentality and it's not helpful to him. I don't think red bull racing help it either by telling him hes right on all these things.

He complained he got penalties in Jeddah when he did the same thing at Interlagos, yes, you were lucky you didn't get a penalty in Interlagos... FFS.

He is treated differently to other drivers, he gets away with far more (to be fair, so does Lewis and a certain red Italian car)! The difference is Lewis generally knows what he can and can't get away with and how to pick his battles, Max just has an attitude of I'll keep going until the stewards or physics stop me.

Having that mentality when you are as good as max verstappen is one thing, but what if less capable drivers adopted it?

22 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Whichever one does win it, it will be well deserved, it's been a fantastic season. Both have had some amazing drives, at parts the red bull has been faster, at parts the metake on Max's driving being rcedes faster, each of them has scrapped tooth and nail when they didn't have the faster car.

I still find it hard to like Red Bull and Karen Horner, and I have my take on Max's driving being a bit "problematic" (I don't think he's dirty or cynical particually, i think he just doesn't have any concept of playing the game or picking his battles and how racing works, he'll just go until there's a crash or a penalty and even then the penalty was wrong and the other guy should've got out of my way - it's a mentality thing with him)

RadioactiveWaste a fantastic post from you well said my friend. Let's hope it's a fair race without incident and controversies. 

5 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

RadioactiveWaste a fantastic post from you well said my friend. Let's hope it's a fair race without incident and controversies. 

Just realized I fat fingered a bit of the first paragraph, but I think you got what I meant.

I just hope it's a good grand Prix. I'm always reluctant to read too much into times in practice, I think qualifying will be close. And whichever way you'd like it to go, both Lewis and Max are breathtaking skilled drivers bringing something at an elite level.

Much as I've always loved Lewis since I saw him in gp2 in 2006, I can understand wanting someone to be able to say they heat LH/Merc in the current era (would've been nice if that were McLaren or Ferrari)

I'd love it if red bull just bungle a strategy call, no issues, no safety car, just Karen Horner calls it wrong and has to sulk about it until next year.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just realized I fat fingered a bit of the first paragraph, but I think you got what I meant.

I just hope it's a good grand Prix. I'm always reluctant to read too much into times in practice, I think qualifying will be close. And whichever way you'd like it to go, both Lewis and Max are breathtaking skilled drivers bringing something at an elite level.

Much as I've always loved Lewis since I saw him in gp2 in 2006, I can understand wanting someone to be able to say they heat LH/Merc in the current era (would've been nice if that were McLaren or Ferrari)

I'd love it if red bull just bungle a strategy call, no issues, no safety car, just Karen Horner calls it wrong and has to sulk about it until next year.

Yes me to. 

Hamilton fastest in P3, Verstappen 2nd. qualifying in an hour.

If F1 seasons were like this every year, would have no problems attracting a new audience. 

For all the hate both Hamilton and Verstappen get from all sides, it's the drama between the two that has made this season so entertaining.

Now the FIA have warned they will remove championship points on Sunday if we have any shenanigans, I suspect Bottas and Perez will have a big say somehow on how this Championship will go 

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Latest on Karen Horner:

It's not fair because Karun Chandock made the track favour mercedes on purpose to make sure Max didn't win the title because the entire world is against him/Max.

I know it's mostly an act he's putting on for the media, but seriously, he can't really be believing the half of it can he........

Was laughing and joking as he said it, shortly after he said it made the track flow better and praised the changes

38 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Latest on Karen Horner:

It's not fair because Karun Chandock made the track favour mercedes on purpose to make sure Max didn't win the title because the entire world is against him/Max.

I know it's mostly an act he's putting on for the media, but seriously, he can't really be believing the half of it can he........

A first rate tool how can you have respect for the man? 

Verstappen is pole, Hamilton second.

Lando Norris takes 3rd - fantastic from him.

Perez, Sainz, Bottas (deciding to have sucky weekend I see), Leclerc, Tsunoda (good effort), Ocon, Danny Ric.

All set up for the climax to the best season in years.

Record breaking 8th title for Lewis, or a first (and defeated mecedes in the turbo hybrid era) title for Max. Can't wait. It's live on Channel 4 if you don't have Sky. 1PM tomorrow for the race start.

Anyone take a bet on a Suzuka '90 first corner? "you no longer go for a gap, you're no longer a racing driver"

32 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Verstappen is pole, Hamilton second.

Lando Norris takes 3rd - fantastic from him.

Perez, Sainz, Bottas (deciding to have sucky weekend I see), Leclerc, Tsunoda (good effort), Ocon, Danny Ric.

All set up for the climax to the best season in years.

Record breaking 8th title for Lewis, or a first (and defeated mecedes in the turbo hybrid era) title for Max. Can't wait. It's live on Channel 4 if you don't have Sky. 1PM tomorrow for the race start.

Anyone take a bet on a Suzuka '90 first corner? "you no longer go for a gap, you're no longer a racing driver"

RadioactiveWaste- Verstappen is Senna and Hamilton is Prost the more cautious of the 2. You could guarantee that Verstappen would do that why Lewis wouldn't it's not his style. 

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

Does anyone feel nervous ahead of today's race? Or are you not bothered and just enjoy the event? I feel nervous because I want Lewis to win so much, as much as I can admire the talent of Verstappen I can't stand him and everything to do with Red Bull, I've even started to dislike Perez and always liked him before. 

Buzzing mate. LH44 for the win. Praying for a clean turn 1 and race irrespective, but would love to see Lewis eclipse Schumacher once and for all and put the young pretender firmly in his place. Most importantly though, let's hope all the drivers stay safe.

20 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

To be fair, I thought Lewis would have to give the place up. Still a bit baffled the stewards let him away with that.

There was contact but very minimal and a very clear advantage gained. I thought max had made the move tbh. 

Think they are taking the view that contact was made and that LH was forced wide. I'm also not sure had he not made contact, that it's a given all four wheels would have remained on track. It's a tricky one but in fairness, Verstappen has got away with those a good few times this year and ultimately, I'm not sure it would have made any difference. Lewis absolutely on fire these last few races and again today is hitting every apex with aplomb. Interestingly, the same stewards were fine with Checo employing similar tactics, presumably on the basis that while he lunged late too, three times in fact, he made zero contact on any of those occasions, nor did he even once force Hamilton off-track. Hard but fair racing?