Liam Delap

Day

1 hour ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

We have 

No we haven’t. Still can only sign players for 12 months, loans for 6 months on strict wage limits. Nothing on the horizon for when this embargo will be lifted. Requires us to pay a large HMRC bill.

We couldn’t sign anybody, the only win today is we don’t have to count kids who only played against Chorley as professionals. Means we can now sign 5 players with huge restrictions.

Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out to you 

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

No we haven’t. Still can only sign players for 12 months, loans for 6 months on strict wage limits. Nothing on the horizon for when this embargo will be lifted. Requires us to pay a large HMRC bill.

We couldn’t sign anybody, the only win today is we don’t have to count kids who only played against Chorley as professionals. Means we can now sign 5 players with huge restrictions.

Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out to you 

Ah I see. I have been at work all day and by the headlines (most likely clickbait), I thought the embargo had been lifted. 
My bad and thanks for the correction. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Am I missing something?

Delap is very highly rated, I know. He was one of our best Academy prospects, I know that too.

But where is the evidence he would ‘tear up the Championship’ at this point in his career?

He’s still only 18 and the majority of his game time has come in under 23s football, which is not always the best indicator, or we would have done everything to keep Morgan Whittaker.

Why are we so confident he would have such a big impact where our other youngsters wouldn’t?

He’s already played in the premier league for City. Pep wouldn’t do that if he wasn’t any good. Scored hatfuls of goals in the u23s. 

More likely he’ll have the impact Brewster had at Swansea or Wilson had here - ie. Rip up the league.

Nothing is guaranteed but if he gets a season long loan in championship he’d definitely be worth putting some money on. 

And after a season in the Championship don’t rule out him doing a Mason Mount when returning to his parent club.

We ain’t getting him though 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Could you please remember to express monetary amounts in the new currency? 

I think you mean, "a third of an anya..." ?

Thought it was a Barker type fee. 

A third of an Anya is about £2m isn't it? 

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He’s already played in the premier league for City. Pep wouldn’t do that if he wasn’t any good. Scored hatfuls of goals in the u23s. 

More likely he’ll have the impact Brewster had at Swansea or Wilson had here - ie. Rip up the league.

Nothing is guaranteed but if he gets a season long loan in championship he’d definitely be worth putting some money on. 

And after a season in the Championship don’t rule out him doing a Mason Mount when returning to his parent club.

We ain’t getting him though 

I am not writing him off. I am just wondering why some people see a player of his type as the messiah.

He is very much unproven and very much in need of development, just like any other player of his age.

The hype behind Mount and Wilson was justified. Prior to joining us, they had played for other clubs (Vitesse and Hull) and given a significant glimpse of their potential.

Delap has made one substitute appearance in the Premier League, played a full 90 minutes in the League Cup, and had a 15 minute cameo in the FA Cup.

I am not entirely sure that equates to top Championship striker in waiting.

Just now, Jourdan said:

I am not writing him off. I am just wondering why some people see a player of his type as the messiah.

He is very much unproven and very much in need of development, just like any other player of his age.

The hype behind Mount and Wilson was justified. Prior to joining us, they had played for other clubs (Vitesse and Hull) and given a significant glimpse of their potential.

Delap has made one substitute appearance in the Premier League, played a full 90 minutes in the League Cup, and had a 15 minute cameo in the FA Cup.

I am not entirely sure that equates to top Championship striker in waiting.

Fair points

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Fair points

I don’t doubt his potential. There is obviously a reason City made a beeline for him and paid so much in compensation.

But it’s one of those loan moves that could go either way when you are that age and so inexperienced in footballing terms, especially coming into a struggling side lacking creativity.

He could be a Brewster and fly, or he could be a Troy Parrott, who went to Millwall on loan with significant hype and did so well he ended up on loan in League One in the second half of the season.

It’d be a brave move on our part, I think.

31 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t doubt his potential. There is obviously a reason City made a beeline for him and paid so much in compensation.

But it’s one of those loan moves that could go either way when you are that age and so inexperienced in footballing terms, especially coming into a struggling side lacking creativity.

He could be a Brewster and fly, or he could be a Troy Parrott, who went to Millwall on loan with significant hype and did so well he ended up on loan in League One in the second half of the season.

If it isn’t him we need a couple of strikers in…

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

You’re right in that he doesn’t have the league experience yet so how do we know how he’ll perform. Harry Kane for example didn’t really perform anywhere he went on loan but was a late developer and look what happened. But at the same time no one in the game was really talking about him.

I think the hype about Delap is what people in the game are saying about him. Pep sees something. There’s a reason he’s being courted by a few championship clubs. I think it was Rowett who came out and said he is the best young talent in England right now. 

It would be a gamble but if we could pull it off it could work for us. Unfortunately in our embargo situation we need to take affordable gambles, hence offering Ravel Morrison a contract.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-city/transfer-talk/news/real-madrid-considering-bid-for-man-citys-delap_441150.html

For a player that is rated in Europe as the next Erling Braut Haaland, that Real Madrid had already enquired about, he's got to be a step above anything else we can hope for. He could well do a Mason Mount and make it to the England squad if he lights up the Championship as Abrahams did. I saw his Manchester City debut and he is a Wayne Rooney at the same age, physically strong and a proper striker. His development since he left us is immense.

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He ran fast two or three times as well to be fair 

Was Anya even that fast, or was he just one of those players who looks to be moving faster than they are because they are - to put in bluntly - short?

I remember when he came up against Ryan Fredericks (a genuine flyer) in the play off semi against Fulham in 2018. They tested each other for pace a couple of times. The results were... not good.

I appreciate there are more disappointing things about Anya's time at Derby! But for me he goes on the list of "nippy but not actually fast" players. We've had a lot of those.