The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

14 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not quite the one thing though ,, you were very very vocal at the start that if you had to shield because you are vulnerable then Everybody should be locked down too 

Yeah, and I have read somewhere on here that there is video footage from 2 April 2020 of @Eddie, the Memsahib, @sageand @Coconut's Beard round his gaff laughing at us suckers whilst they gorged on Westmalle Tripel and Fromage de Herve. You couldn’t make it up.

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

So your travelling on the train 3 days a week with no mask mandate which your not happy about but have come to no harm,, yet your confident that masks at uni would have cut down cases??‍♂️

Given that the trains I have been on have been keeping their windows open then this would generally provide quite good ventilation which could be one reason. I might have also just been lucky or had covid and been asymptomatic. Room ventilation in terms of windows has not been occurring in the classrooms that i have been teaching and in general there has been no mask wearing around campus. Given that we know masks have a substantial effect on transmission when applied it stands to reason that if mask wearing had been enforced more then cases would have been cut. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Given that the trains I have been on have been keeping their windows open then this would generally provide quite good ventilation which could be one reason. I might have also just been lucky or had covid and been asymptomatic. Room ventilation in terms of windows has not been occurring in the classrooms that i have been teaching and in general there has been no mask wearing around campus. Given that we know masks have a substantial effect on transmission when applied it stands to reason that if mask wearing had been enforced more then cases would have been cut. 

Everything you put re not catching it without masks is mights and maybe's , then everything you put re catching it without masks stands to reason ,, ermmmm ,,, bias ??‍♂️

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Yeah, and I have read somewhere on here that there is video footage from 2 April 2020 of @Eddie, the Memsahib, @sageand @Coconut's Beard round his gaff laughing at us suckers whilst they gorged on Westmalle Tripel and Fromage de Herve. You couldn’t make it up.

Absolutely fuming about this. You have no right to make such appalling accusations. even in jest.

You would have Westmalle Dubbel with Fromage de Herve. 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Not quite the one thing though ,, you were very very vocal at the start that if you had to shield because you are vulnerable then Everybody should be locked down too 

All right, in a post-vaccination world.

I was, indeed, very vocal that a full lockdown was the only possible way of breaking the exponential growth cycle in the early 'no vaccines' days - and each lockdown did precisely that, and the numbers verify that fact - cases, hospitalisations and (eventually) deaths fell dramatically (and predictably).

There was a justifiable reason for those lockdowns (protect the NHS) - people seem to think that 'measured responses' (mask-wearing, hand-washing and social distancing) are too hard, not worth it or only things that other people should do. Consequently, we oscillated between full lockdown and 'back to almost normal, folks'.

I honestly cannot see justification in the future for another full lockdown - at least, as things stand at the moment. 

10 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I predict...

A week of outrage about plans to introduce vaccine passports and higher levels of response to Omicron.

Bowing to public pressure, the stricter rules are cut back a bit, and the passports idea is scrapped.

General public outrage subsides.

Everyone forgets about the party and we carry on like nothing has happened.

we don't have vaccine passports, unles you are scottish  so no outrage required (apart from the party) .

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

You were invited. I'd even laid in a supply of lemonade so you could have your 'lager tops'.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

All right, in a post-vaccination world.

I was, indeed, very vocal that a full lockdown was the only possible way of breaking the exponential growth cycle in the early 'no vaccines' days - and each lockdown did precisely that, and the numbers verify that fact - cases, hospitalisations and (eventually) deaths fell dramatically (and predictably).

There was a justifiable reason for those lockdowns (protect the NHS) - people seem to think that 'measured responses' (mask-wearing, hand-washing and social distancing) are too hard, not worth it or only things that other people should do. Consequently, we oscillated between full lockdown and 'back to almost normal, folks'.

I honestly cannot see justification in the future for another full lockdown - at least, as things stand at the moment. 

I was pointing out your stated reasons at the time were that if you had to be locked down/ shield , so everybody else should be locked down as it was not fair ??‍♂️,if your life had to change because you were vulnerable then so should everybody else’s 

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

I was pointing out your stated reasons at the time were that if you had to be locked down/ shield , so everybody else should be locked down as it was not fair ??‍♂️,if your life had to change because you were vulnerable then so should everybody else’s 

I argued that everyone else should be locked down for 1 day a week, and that day should be reserved for the extremely vulnerable to be able to go and do their shopping.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I argued that everyone else should be locked down for 1 day a week, and that day should be reserved for the extremely vulnerable to be able to go and do their shopping.

Erm , your memory is rather boris like ,, you went to that line later when it was pointed out you were being selfish but hey if you can’t admit what you were saying / calling for then fine with me ??‍♂️
either way it kind of blows your ONE thing line out the water

Edited by Archied

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Everything you put re not catching it without masks is mights and maybe's , then everything you put re catching it without masks stands to reason ,, ermmmm ,,, bias ??‍♂️

Masks make transmission less likely and give you some protection too from getting covid. This isn't an opinion, it's a scientific fact. 

6 hours ago, Archied said:

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Masks make transmission less likely and give you some protection too from getting covid. This isn't an opinion, it's a scientific fact. 

And off we go again.  

Normal service resumed after the little political break.

6 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Countries that kept mask mandates and other measures not only havnt done better than England they have done WORSE,this isn’t an opinion it’s a real world fact , there in undeniable black and white

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Countries that kept mask mandates and other measures not only havnt done better than England they have done WORSE,this isn’t an opinion it’s a real world fact , there in undeniable black and white

Yeah but real world evidence doeant mean anything, you've got to follow 'the science' remember. 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

That is a difficult thing to ignore. England now has the same mask mandate as the rest of the UK. Scotland has had generally lower Covid rates than England but NI and especially Wales have had similar or higher rates in recent weeks.

Purely from my own experience, I wonder if it's because masked people don't seem to keep their distance as much - possibly negating the positive effect of the mask?