The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah but real world evidence doeant mean anything, you've got to follow 'the science' remember. 

I think that throughlout the pandemic, the problem the scientists have had is that it's been such a quickly changing situation and with so many variables, they haven't had the time to do proper controlled experiments and simulations. Correlation sometimes is confused with causation. Anecdotal evidence becomes scientific fact because there isn't time to properly test the hypothesis before the next claim comes along.

Just paid £30 for a test for a disease that I have no symptoms of already had and am vaccinated 3 times against because I need it to get back into a country I haven’t left yet. Then a further £60 for a test to able me to go out after being out the country for 1.5 days, Makes sense?!?!? 

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

1330348717_Scientificmethod.thumb.png.9c82ed017fd5642b5a73e554567077fe.png

Well, sure but do you believe this method is being followed? And are we following all the science or cherry picking to suit? I've lost confidence in both the academic, political and journalistic processes lately.

Conflicts of interest between business and academic funding, unqualified 'fact checkers', deployed rapidly on dissenting voices, different standards of evidence being applied to suit different agendas. 

Unprecedented examples of academic papers being suddenly pulled, without explanation after they been peer reviewed and accepted. 

Worrying themes.

15 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Well, sure but do you believe this method is being followed? And are we following all the science or cherry picking to suit? I've lost confidence in both the academic, political and journalistic processes lately.

Conflicts of interest between business and academic funding, unqualified 'fact checkers', deployed rapidly on dissenting voices, different standards of evidence being applied to suit different agendas. 

Unprecedented examples of academic papers being suddenly pulled, without explanation after they been peer reviewed and accepted. 

Worrying themes.

This government have a history of cherry-picking, and then applying a 'too little, too late' solution. It's what populist, right-wing governments do. I don't doubt that there are a proportion of the general public who are very eager to apply the 'this doesn't really apply to me' school of thought too. Less than two weeks ago, a prominent 'dissenter' within this thread said "Right, that's it - I'm never wearing a mask again." - I wonder how that's working out? As far as the press are concerned, they will always take a doomsday approach because sensational headlines entice people to buy or to click. 

I don't really understand the points you are making in your second and third paragraphs other than you are suggesting (as others have done) that it's all a big conspiracy. Can you please offer citations and sources, especially with respect to the 'academic papers suddenly pulled'?

Edited by Eddie

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

This government have a history of cherry-picking, and then applying a 'too little, too late' solution. It's what populist, right-wing governments do. I don't doubt that there are a proportion of the general public who are very eager to apply the 'this doesn't really apply to me' school of thought too. Less than two weeks ago, a prominent 'dissenter' within this thread said "Right, that's it - I'm never wearing a mask again." - I wonder how that's working out? As far as the press are concerned, they will always take a doomsday approach because sensational headlines entice people to buy or to click. 

I don't really understand the points you are making in your second and third paragraphs other than you are suggesting (as others have done) that it's all a big conspiracy. Can you please offer citations and sources, especially with respect to the 'academic papers suddenly pulled'?

Working fine thanks , first morning the roofers merchants were asking people to wear a mask , I said I was happy to give my order outside and they could bring the card machine outside , after a bit of grumbling and me being happy to spend elsewhere they were happy to take my money , few days in and the merchant just stopped asking for masks from customer s,  my local shop are happy to serve me too, given the shopkeeper is maskless too it seems fair ,

so cracking on as normal thanks ( real normal )

as I say I don’t want ,expect or need anybody to wear a mask to pretend to keep ME safe

Edited by Archied

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Working fine thanks , first morning the roofers merchants were asking people to wear a mask , I said I was happy to give my order outside and they could bring the card machine outside , after a bit of grumbling and me being happy to spend elsewhere they were happy to take my money , few days in and the merchant just stopped asking for masks from customer s,  my local shop are happy to serve me too, given the shopkeeper is maskless too it seems fair ,

so cracking on as normal thanks ( real normal )

as I say I don’t want ,expect or need anybody to wear a mask to pretend to keep ME safe

Well, let's hope that you never have cause to go to the doctor's, catch a bus, get a taxi then.

I'm actually genuinely intrigued as to why you have what amounts to a phobia about wearing masks. I'm also interested as to what you would do if you felt ill. Would you just carry on regardless, assuming that it was just 'a bit of a cold' or would you self-test before making any decision that could be to the potential benefit or harm of others.

54 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well, let's hope that you never have cause to go to the doctor's, catch a bus, get a taxi then.

I'm actually genuinely intrigued as to why you have what amounts to a phobia about wearing masks. I'm also interested as to what you would do if you felt ill. Would you just carry on regardless, assuming that it was just 'a bit of a cold' or would you self-test before making any decision that could be to the potential benefit or harm of others.

Just anecdotally, I went to the Doctors on Wednesday and he actually asked me to take my mask off.  It was all very odd. He was facing me too as he completed my prostate examination. 

Edited by i-Ram

Just now, i-Ram said:

Just anecdotally, I went to the Doctors on Wednesday and he actually asked me to take my mask off.  It was all very odd. He was facing me too as he completed my prostate examination. 

I think you will find that was a docker, not a doctor.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

A true professional. It's of vital importance to maintain eye contact.

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I think that throughlout the pandemic, the problem the scientists have had is that it's been such a quickly changing situation and with so many variables, they haven't had the time to do proper controlled experiments and simulations. Correlation sometimes is confused with causation. Anecdotal evidence becomes scientific fact because there isn't time to properly test the hypothesis before the next claim comes along.

Fully agree and this is why I tend to turn my nose up a little when people say follow 'the science' because I don't believe it is totally out there.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fully agree and this is why I tend to turn my nose up a little when people say follow 'the science' because I don't believe it is totally out there.

How's about 'follow the science as we understand it at the time'?

As knowledge and understanding increases, then it's perfectly reasonable for recommendations to change. Science strives to be an exact science, but when new phenomena come along, there is often a degree of 'fuzziness'. Until full understanding is achieved, science is an iterative process.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Now that’s a really silly question , I have done quite a few lateral flow tests if feeling I’ll or been in contact with someone who has had it , why wouldn’t I ?
if I am unlucky enough to need a doctor then I really have no choice and am forced to wear one , doesn’t make it right though

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How's about 'follow the science as we understand it at the time'?

As knowledge and understanding increases, then it's perfectly reasonable for recommendations to change. Science strives to be an exact science, but when new phenomena come along, there is often a degree of 'fuzziness'. Until full understanding is achieved, science is an iterative process.

There’s been plenty of making the science fit in the last two years in this country, it’s not the consistency of the science that’s the main problem 

31 minutes ago, Archied said:

Now that’s a really silly question , I have done quite a few lateral flow tests if feeling I’ll or been in contact with someone who has had it , why wouldn’t I ?
if I am unlucky enough to need a doctor then I really have no choice and am forced to wear one , doesn’t make it right though

Why is it a silly question?

I don't know you (at least, I don't think so), so I have no knowledge of your self-testing regime. You categorically stated that you would '...never wear a mask again', so it's perfectly reasonable to press you as to whether or not you would make any exceptions. As it is, you would, which is somewhat reassuring.

Your final sentence undoes that reassurance somewhat, though. Why do you consider it 'right' to run the risk of infecting your GP with any droplet-borne disease when wearing a mask is such an easy thing to do?

35 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why is it a silly question?

I don't know you (at least, I don't think so), so I have no knowledge of your self-testing regime. You categorically stated that you would '...never wear a mask again', so it's perfectly reasonable to press you as to whether or not you would make any exceptions. As it is, you would, which is somewhat reassuring.

Your final sentence undoes that reassurance somewhat, though. Why do you consider it 'right' to run the risk of infecting your GP with any droplet-borne disease when wearing a mask is such an easy thing to do?

Tough to infect a gp through a computer screen which is about as close as you get these days without fighting tooth and nail ,unless of course your having a covid jab, another covid jab or yet another covid jab at 15 quid a jab on top of their salaries which come out of all our pockets ,yep there are certain areas where you are forced to comply with pathetic face nappies , in the main not day to day normal life situations 

im not in the slightest interested in reassuring anybody , I’m absolutely sick of this whole bull crap orchestrated by self serving liars