The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

44 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I predict...

A week of outrage about plans to introduce vaccine passports and higher levels of response to Omicron.

Bowing to public pressure, the stricter rules are cut back a bit, and the passports idea is scrapped.

General public outrage subsides.

Everyone forgets about the party and we carry on like nothing has happened.

I've been predicting something similar for a few weeks - they bring in tighter controls and then a week before Christmas, Boris pops up on TV to announce that they're relaxing things so everyone can have a great time - "Good Old Boris" shouts everyone - ignoring the fact that we're all being played.....

39 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I've been predicting something similar for a few weeks - they bring in tighter controls and then a week before Christmas, Boris pops up on TV to announce that they're relaxing things so everyone can have a great time - "Good Old Boris" shouts everyone - ignoring the fact that we're all being played.....

Another scenario is that they know new restrictions are about as welcome as a turd in a bathtub, so by riling the public even more into not accepting them - if it all *does* go horribly wrong, they just blame us for not complying. "The uppity plebs only have themselves to blame"

Because let's be honest - if we don't comply and people die as a result - it won’t be Boris Johnson and his ilk who will suffer - it'll be us

Edited by Stive Pesley

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

So far, yes. but the variant hasn't been around long enough to have had an effect on deaths - which are generally at least 4 weeks after infection.

If the data says in a week or two that it's mild and doesn't kill people then that's great and all restrictions should go. Let us all catch it and get on with our lives.

Brainwashed 

I think for the moment it's sensible to try and restrict the virus where possible especially in light of the reality that we're not yet totally sure of its effects. If it's shown to be a very mild variant that the booster can deal with these restrictions won't be in place for that long and if it's the case that this is more serious than we'd like it to be then this is the beginning of stopping the spread. Either way it's likely to be doing the correct thing without having to resort to more serious measures later. 

I do think more enforcement around the wearing of masks is necessary. I travel 3 days a week on the train and only once have I seen any form of mask enforcement in England. I was in Edinburgh last weekend and the return train was handing out masks for those who didn't have any and encouraging those who did to put them on. Mask wearing is such a simple thing to be doing and it does have a substantial effect on trains and other areas in minimising the spread. 

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I predict...

A week of outrage about plans to introduce vaccine passports and higher levels of response to Omicron.

Bowing to public pressure, the stricter rules are cut back a bit, and the passports idea is scrapped.

General public outrage subsides.

Everyone forgets about the party and we carry on like nothing has happened.

You may be right ( I’m far from sure) but is this any way to live ? Under threat all the time it really is like an abusive relationship 

22 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think for the moment it's sensible to try and restrict the virus where possible especially in light of the reality that we're not yet totally sure of its effects. If it's shown to be a very mild variant that the booster can deal with these restrictions won't be in place for that long and if it's the case that this is more serious than we'd like it to be then this is the beginning of stopping the spread. Either way it's likely to be doing the correct thing without having to resort to more serious measures later. 

I do think more enforcement around the wearing of masks is necessary. I travel 3 days a week on the train and only once have I seen any form of mask enforcement in England. I was in Edinburgh last weekend and the return train was handing out masks for those who didn't have any and encouraging those who did to put them on. Mask wearing is such a simple thing to be doing and it does have a substantial effect on trains and other areas in minimising the spread. 

As a matter of interest with your travelling 3 days a week on trains with no mask enforcement,how many times have you caught covid given you can catch it multiple times even when vaxxed?

Whilst I accept we all need to be cautious, I do still wince a little that those more vociferous on “battening down the hatches” again are typically in full time education, office bods or retired.

These further restrictions must be giving so many business owners sleepless nights about the future, and for many dependent on a good December trade it will be the final nail in the coffin.

24 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Whilst I accept we all need to be cautious, I do still wince a little that those more vociferous on “battening down the hatches” again are typically in full time education, office bods or retired.

These further restrictions must be giving so many business owners sleepless nights about the future, and for many dependent on a good December trade it will be the final nail in the coffin.

I had one of the office bods waddle down to the shop floor and start giving grief to workers who had the temerity to be unmasked whilst lugging heavy metal around. I wouldn't mind, but this guy is the size of a small planet. If he wants to talk about risk mitigation with regards to covid, he might first consider mitigating the amount of cakes and ale he shoves down his gullet.

Serious question from an old fella that's no fool... I think?

Right so here goes, The World has suffered, There's been over 5m deaths due to Covid...reported online through Google, Countys are hemorrhging cash, Pharma are making Billions of $s, Governments World Wide are making Laws for their citizens to follow...or else. In the UK I get that we may have Plan "B" to cover up a certain Xmas Party.

Why do folk think there could be a Conspiracy, Hartley-Brewer in her report posted on here has Poo Pooed a lot of the media/medical reporting /advice.

Are we Guinea Pigs for some FUTURE World manufactured event?

Wierd times for sure.

3 hours ago, Archied said:

As a matter of interest with your travelling 3 days a week on trains with no mask enforcement,how many times have you caught covid given you can catch it multiple times even when vaxxed?

I'm not sure as I don't test myself regularly unless I'm feeling ill. I can say though that a number of my students caught covid (I teach around 90 students at Leeds and around 10% were off with covid) and students generally ignored the mask restrictions that were attempted to be enforced by the University. I am pretty confident if masks had been enforced at least some of those cases wouldn't have occurred. I'm not calling for lockdowns or anything like that but it seems to me mask wearing is a pretty small thing that if people did regularly it would help slow the spread

47 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm not sure as I don't test myself regularly unless I'm feeling ill. I can say though that a number of my students caught covid (I teach around 90 students at Leeds and around 10% were off with covid) and students generally ignored the mask restrictions that were attempted to be enforced by the University. I am pretty confident if masks had been enforced at least some of those cases wouldn't have occurred. I'm not calling for lockdowns or anything like that but it seems to me mask wearing is a pretty small thing that if people did regularly it would help slow the spread

It's the one thing that I have consistently advocated from the start. It's a droplet-spread disease, so if you cut the number of droplets expelled by capturing some of them in a mask, then there will be fewer droplets for others to inhale, and therefore a lower incidence of people subjected to the critical viral load that tips them over the edge. It really is common sense, yet there are plenty who will pounce upon this sort of post on any form of social media with gusto, spewing tripe about "I won't wear a mask because it won't stop me catching Covid-19, therefore masks are useless".

Pointing out that they are missing the point is like banging your head against a brick wall. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

So your travelling on the train 3 days a week with no mask mandate which your not happy about but have come to no harm,, yet your confident that masks at uni would have cut down cases??‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's the one thing that I have consistently advocated from the start. It's a droplet-spread disease, so if you cut the number of droplets expelled by capturing some of them in a mask, then there will be fewer droplets for others to inhale, and therefore a lower incidence of people subjected to the critical viral load that tips them over the edge. It really is common sense, yet there are plenty who will pounce upon this sort of post on any form of social media with gusto, spewing tripe about "I won't wear a mask because it won't stop me catching Covid-19, therefore masks are useless".

Pointing out that they are missing the point is like banging your head against a brick wall. 

Not quite the one thing though ,, you were very very vocal at the start that if you had to shield because you are vulnerable then Everybody should be locked down too 

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m 60 and not doing this madness anymore and tired of the selfish spewing garbage to force others to do what makes them feel safe ,

I do not want anyone forced into wearing  a mask for my benefit, if that’s selfish ??? so be it