The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

12 minutes ago, maxjam said:

2 articles on Sky News a few hours apart...

Gotta love those experts desperate to lock us down at every opportunity...

There are two key differences with South Africa that make it difficult to extrapolate their experiences to our future.

First and perhaps most importantly they have a much younger demographic. It's not just a bit different from us. It's radically different. A full 30 percent of the population under 15. 55 percent under 35.

Second they have low vaccination levels, and high levels of infection from Delta. We have the opposite.

The upshot, is that it's not possible to predict what will happen here, besed on what happens there.

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

There are two key differences with South Africa that make it difficult to extrapolate their experiences to our future.

First and perhaps most importantly they have a much younger demographic. It's not just a bit different from us. It's radically different. A full 30 percent of the population under 15. 55 percent under 35.

Second they have low vaccination levels, and high levels of infection from Delta. We have the opposite.

The upshot, is that it's not possible to predict what will happen here, besed on what happens there.

And as we've seen with previous predictions from 'experts', its impossible to predict what will happen here as well.

Sensationalist fearmongering headline as usual. 

34 minutes ago, maxjam said:

But are they though? As you've already alluded several times - it's the reporting that is sensationalist and fearmongering - because they make money out of clicking it. If the headline said

"Experts predict it's too soon to know anything really, but have produced several speculative models that are, as merely speculative, not really worth worrying about for now!"

They'd get nothing like the clicks (nor the clicks from people outraged at their fearmongering tactics)

But you know all that - and I know you agree. Was just saying really that it's unfair to stoke the idea of the experts being the ones to blame. If we lose all faith in experts then the human race is literally doomed

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

How is the headline sensationalist exactly?  How else would they report it?

Is there any reason for the article other than to spread fear and generate revenue?

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

But are they though? As you've already alluded several times - it's the reporting that is sensationalist and fearmongering - because they make money out of clicking it. If the headline said

"Experts predict it's too soon to know anything really, but have produced several speculative models that are, as merely speculative, not really worth worrying about for now!"

They'd get nothing like the clicks (nor the clicks from people outraged at their fearmongering tactics)

But you know all that - and I know you agree. Was just saying really that it's unfair to stoke the idea of the experts being the ones to blame. If we lose all faith in experts then the human race is literally doomed

We're all being whipped up by the media and Govt into a state of fear and panic and I can't really work out why.

I have seen numerous experts, personalities and MPs on TV this week all spreading misinformation, usually about the unvaccinated filling up hospitals.  Non of it gets challenged or retracted, instead it gets repeated.  Dr Hillary got 1000+ complaints for his 'error' on the Lorraine show, but Martin Kemp went on the same programme the very next day and repeated the claim...

I have recently started following this Jamie Jenkins on twitter for some actual facts.  His timeline has several tv shows, MPs and celebrities from the last week spreading misinformation - again, non of it gets challenged or called out in the MSM, no corrections are issued and MPs ignore him.  Par for the course ?  He did get a slot on Radio Wales which is worth a listen;

Jamie Jenkins interview on BBC Radio Wales discussing the #OmicronVariant 11/12/2021

8 hours ago, maxjam said:

We're all being whipped up by the media and Govt into a state of fear and panic and I can't really work out why.

It is a very effective control method.  When in fear we cannot think clearly and we look for guidance.

21 hours ago, Archied said:

Here’s what interest me , you are so pro mask wearing in indoors setting that you wear one when not mandated by government and pilloried anyone not follow your choice yet by your own admission you have been happy to walk into a pub wearing a mask but sit drinking without it ( pure theatre ) 

seems it’s ok to follow rules when suits , if you truly believe masks should be worn in indoor settings to protect others you would have been discarding gov rules and not drinking in a pub without one 

I don’t have a phobia of masks I have a phobia of bs. 

I guess it's about reducing overall risk and priorities. It doesn't need to be all or nothing and just because there's an inconsistency doesn't mean it's bs. 

Pubs/Restaurants can't function if you have to wear your mask at all times, but cinemas and theatres can. Likewise with buses, trains and supermarkets.

You also aren't required to go in to pubs and restaurants, but supermarkets, pharmacies etc are a different story.

It's a common sense approach to reducing risk....

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

2 articles on Sky News a few hours apart...

That 2nd one has been reported on the BBC as well. According to the worst case scenario 35m people will get infected between January and April (so half the population) but 'only' 75,000 people will die. So 0.2% death rate amongst those infected.

So not a very deadly disease at all, even in the worst case. But 75,000 is still a high number and probably too high a cost for the government to bear politically, which is why we're going to see more restrictions.

Best case scenario has 25k deaths from 21m cases. Personally think it's time to accept that cost (knowing it will overwhelmingly likely not be me who suffers) but would you really like to make that call? Think this is where science is getting a bad rep because they're just giving scenarios and our leaders are so inept they're incapable or unwilling to say, "these are our options and we're going to pursue this course, knowing the effects of our decisions". Instead they're letting science take the hit for the constantly changing picture (which is the nature of science).

Edited by JoetheRam

47 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I guess it's about reducing overall risk and priorities. It doesn't need to be all or nothing and just because there's an inconsistency doesn't mean it's bs. 

Pubs/Restaurants can't function if you have to wear your mask at all times, but cinemas and theatres can. Likewise with buses, trains and supermarkets.

You also aren't required to go in to pubs and restaurants, but supermarkets, pharmacies etc are a different story.

It's a common sense approach to reducing risk....

Nope ,not if you are going to lambast others and play the I care so much about others and you don’t card ,if you are that certain and outspoken that no matter whether gov mandates masks or not that only the selfish won’t wear them when not mandated then you don’t put others at risk by going in the pub drinking without one??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Is there any reason for the article other than to spread fear and generate revenue?

I have seen numerous experts, personalities and MPs on TV this week all spreading misinformation, usually about the unvaccinated filling up hospitals.  Non of it gets challenged or retracted, instead it gets repeated.  Dr Hillary got 1000+ complaints for his 'error' on the Lorraine show, but Martin Kemp went on the same programme the very next day and repeated the claim...

I have recently started following this Jamie Jenkins on twitter for some actual facts.  His timeline has several tv shows, MPs and celebrities from the last week spreading misinformation - again, non of it gets challenged or called out in the MSM, no corrections are issued and MPs ignore him.  Par for the course ?  He did get a slot on Radio Wales which is worth a listen;

Jamie Jenkins interview on BBC Radio Wales discussing the #OmicronVariant 11/12/2021

I don’t think the media have anything to gain from spreading fear. They have everything to gain from clickbait sensationalist titles though as the game for them is to exploit the news and to attract as many eyeballs as possible.

Nobody would read it if the title says ‘Nobody knows anything yet as studies remain inconclusive’

But ‘experts’ saying potential deaths in the thousands, well yes that will attract more viewers.

On 10/12/2021 at 09:43, TexasRam said:

Just paid £30 for a test for a disease that I have no symptoms of already had and am vaccinated 3 times against because I need it to get back into a country I haven’t left yet. Then a further £60 for a test to able me to go out after being out the country for 1.5 days, Makes sense?!?!? 

Makes perfect sense to whichever of Boris' mates won the contract to supply the UK with tests.... ?

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t think the media have anything to gain from spreading fear. They have everything to gain from clickbait sensationalist titles though as the game for them is to exploit the news and to attract as many eyeballs as possible.

Nobody would read it if the title says ‘Nobody knows anything yet as studies remain inconclusive’

But ‘experts’ saying potential deaths in the thousands, well yes that will attract more viewers.

We're currently running at around 1,000 deaths a week, so making an issue of 25,000 from December to the end of April is little more than headline-garnishing sensationalism. The 'more optimistic' scenario is a death rate barely higher than is currently (by many) deemed to be acceptable. The 'more pessimistic' scenario is a concern - 34 million infections is 34 million opportunities for a more deadly variant to read its spiky head.

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

The media? Yes - and of course you can work out why. They make money from it

I don't think the government have anything to do with the media clickbait frenzy. They probably like it when it benefits them (slaughtering Corbyn, vote leave etc) but I suspect that BJ and co probably hate it right now as it shines far too bright a light on their decision making process

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Great news from South Africa that the huge amount of cases of Omicron have not resulted in hospitalisations despite only 1 in 4 being fully vaccinated. 

Yep it would seem our mass vaccination spend and push into child vaccination with omicron and delta alike is being shown to be not needed as my guess is average age of population and other health and fitness comparisons have a bearing on these figures ,

our push to vaccinate the old and vulnerable totally the right move with this vaccine passport and mandated vaccine s clearly not justifiable and extremely worrying , for me this is where that phrase that bris doesn’t like ( follow the money) comes into play 

Edited by Archied