Rams@Millers 3/2/21 - Matchday thread

Rev

It was a bad day at the office. We can point to Bielik being out injured, we can say Rooney is learning on the job, or anything else but we are and where we are for a reason and should remember where we were when Rooney got the job. It takes any manager time to turn things around. Even if we had an old head in charge, as many clambered for, we’d be the same. Hughton, Allardyce, McCarthy were all names offered up as what we needed - the type of manager you need right now but have any done any better than Rooney? 

It was a poor performance, a bad night but these things happen and this will happen again. It will also happen to every team. Move on and let’s hope for better at the weekend. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I think you mean Beni from Everton. I’m hoping he’s been brought in to play not just to make the numbers up. From what I’ve seen he looks decent. Whether he can do the creative side of the game too is yet to be seen. 

Correct, thank you, that's who I meant. I did admit I didn't know his strength, but you'd have thought I could get his club right!

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

However, the point still stands. All credit to them for the three wins in a row, but last night was a stark reminder that we are in no way out of the woods and are still very much in the mire. The closer this gets to the end of the season, the more worried I become about our decision to appoint a rookie manager after Cocu left, as opposed to one with more experience*

I see Chris Hughton is still stuck in the woods at Forest, I see Sam Alladyce at WBA is at the healm of the Titanic, Eddie Howe is still out of work, Which miracle worker was going to stop the fast approaching relegation under Cocu, Cocu was an experienced manager that took a mid table team last season to a poor team this season, Whether WR manufactured his own appointment is irrelevent.

He's brought in 5 players who he conciders will benefit DCFC, Most on here after 3 wins were getting excited, Some on here even thinking of play offs, Time will tell if WR appointment was good or bad, For me he's doing well, Bielik is a tremendous loss but nowt we can do about it.

We're skint, If you have holes in your shoes you get them repaired, If you have cash in your pocket you buy a new pair, We're in a situation where we've had to beg borrow and steal players, I think we have enough to stay in this division with the squad we have now, Managers make decisions but it's players who get results.

2 hours ago, JarodyDCFC said:

You’re acting like they outplayed us from minute one. They pressed us and made it difficult especially in the first half, but just before the goal we were looking the more likely to go on and win it. 3-0 doesn’t reflect the game at all, Middlesbrough was much worse than this. 

When you’re in a relegation battle every game becomes a ‘must win’ and you can’t win all of them. Name me a game this season that hasn’t felt like a ‘must win’ for us, excluding the beginning of the season. 

You have made some good points in your last few posts mate , totally agree with you on all of them COYR

4 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Maybe if it goes badly end of the season we will look back and say with hindsight it was certainly a must not lose one 

Maybe. But I doubt we'll be able to confidently pin our demise down to the failure to win just one game against Barnsley. 

When it comes to a review of the season I suspect the defeats against Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday will be far more significant. 

A long way to go still but, unless we're doomed by them, it's feeling like our final two home games (Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday) could well be genuine must win games. 

4 hours ago, Spanish said:

@Gee SCREAMER !!said so and got lots of stick for it.  I am not sure whether we had a choice but the timing of both games against them favoured them.

i think people were taking it as a why should they be tired or play less well based on lifestyle and fitness etc and it's up the road.  but my point was regarding advantage in the same professional field with same lifestyle.  Derby could have travelled to Lands end twice in a day and played a pub team and won 8-0.  Travelling to play a game twice in 24 hrs at this level was not ideal and gave a clear advantage.  A more experienced manager wouldn't have had it.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Got to give WR credit where it’s due, he says it how it is and a class act.

It’s a shame the same can’t be said for the big mouth in the stands, who it turns out is the Chairman of Rotherham. He should be embarrassed by his loud mouth antics as he should keep his council and not be heard over everyone else in the ground. 
The Big mouth types are usually making up for deficiencies in other areas ???

41 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The accusation was foul and abusive language all game which Rooney asserted was not befitting of a club owner (or person in a position of that seniority).

Stewart denies any foul or abusive language, adding this:

"There are some good losers and there are some bad losers and that goes in the latter category."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wayne-rooney-rotherham-Derby-county-4965929

Didn’t suit the young players we had last night, they were just bullied, the one game where we really could have done with Bielik! Thought the game passed Bird by last night, tends to get caught by the press quite often and although he has good technical ability generally he doesn’t have any pace to get away from the trouble. Would have liked Rooney to change to change to a 3-5-2 last night at half time and put Gregory with CKR and flood the midfield.

15 minutes ago, ramit said:

Stewart denies any foul or abusive language, adding this:

"There are some good losers and there are some bad losers and that goes in the latter category."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wayne-rooney-rotherham-Derby-county-4965929

What a weird comment

How I see it, is that we’ve had to go there three times to play the game. Once because they couldn’t be bothered to tell us of a covid outbreak, second time because the groundsmen couldn’t work out the weather and we went last night when it was firmly in Rotherham’s interest because of the fixture schedule. So whatever happens it’s quite disrespectful to throw jibes. 

From what I was able to see/hear of the game, i didn’t mind an odd supportive shout to their side or whatever, but there was quite obviously a group of people trying to get on top of the ref which I thought was out of order. With all that happening, if you are in the directors box as chairman then you should be sorting it out, but I’m afraid you are up against a pub team mentality.

Theyll do it to someone else, now they think they’ve got away with it, and as they become more desperate. Be interesting to see how it comes across then.

From what I did see - ramstv permitting - they outran us. Their closing down was excellent. We looked over impressed with yourselves. 

45 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

What a weird comment

How I see it, is that we’ve had to go there three times to play the game. Once because they couldn’t be bothered to tell us of a covid outbreak, second time because the groundsmen couldn’t work out the weather and we went last night when it was firmly in Rotherham’s interest because of the fixture schedule. So whatever happens it’s quite disrespectful to throw jibes. 

From what I was able to see/hear of the game, i didn’t mind an odd supportive shout to their side or whatever, but there was quite obviously a group of people trying to get on top of the ref which I thought was out of order. With all that happening, if you are in the directors box as chairman then you should be sorting it out, but I’m afraid you are up against a pub team mentality.

Theyll do it to someone else, now they think they’ve got away with it, and as they become more desperate. Be interesting to see how it comes across then.

Put it this way .  If that was a paying punter who'd upgraded to a box for him and a few mates, they'd have been out the door .  Saw a Brighton fan chucked out one of the Derby boxes once for far less. I could hear him screaming abuse particularly about off sides all game.

Simplest thing to do is give him some back in the way of a goal. Gregory had a great chance to shut him up.  Didn't happen though.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Maybe, but surely this is where Rooney needs to show why Mel and the club have backed him to do the job. The key to being a great manager is how you respond to adversity.

Bielik will be a big miss but one player shouldn’t be the difference between going down and staying up, especially not when we have 19 games to figure out how to move forward without him.

If the team falls apart with the absence of one player, then that reflects poorly on the manager and the group of players available.

So perhaps Rooney needs to re-think his approach and if the defensive unit is not the same without Bielik, perhaps now is the time to put the impetus on the attacking players and try to get the likes of Sibley, Roberts and Lawrence involved as much as possible.

The worry for me is that we are probably going to go to three at the back, bring in Mengi, drop an attacking player like Jozwiak or Waghorn and play Knight out wide to provide more of the solidity Rooney wants.

It’s arguable whether that is actually playing to our strengths now. We have tried being solid and we have still dropped 20 points from 42 including 16 points to teams outside the top 10.

I agree to an extent about your previous couple of posts but let’s look at it from a different perspective 

when Rooney took the job he must’ve looked at what he had and made the assumption that with the players he had available he’s not going to outscore teams by scoring 3 or 4 so the emphasis was on keeping it tight and maybe a goal would be enough to win a game ...this theory has proved a good one so Rooney appearing defensive may look a bit negative but witih what he had it was the right call 

Where I do agree is with the new players we are now able to set up a bit more offensive especially if Lawrence can return because we really need him to help us out and repay the faith in him 

Looking at what we have now I don’t think many sides would look forward to facing Lawrence Roberts and Colin as a front 3 or if we went 4231 with Colin as CF we could play an interchangeable 3 behind in Lawrence Joz and Roberts or Sibley but it looks attacking 

without Beilik I personally would play Knight and Shinnie or Bangin as two holding players letting the attack minded players get us some goals ....just my thoughts 

Archived