Rams@Millers 3/2/21 - Matchday thread

Rev

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Oh no, the dreaded “must win” when it actually isn’t. Important?, useful?, will help relieve the pressure? Yes, yes and yes but still not a MUST win game.

I think, at best we’ll draw which will put us well and truly back in the mire but it still isn’t game over even if we lose.

Maybe if it goes badly end of the season we will look back and say with hindsight it was certainly a must not lose one 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Having slept on it can we stop accusing people who are upset at a 3-0 loss to a team in the relegation zone as being some sort of negative doom and gloomers? 

If last night hasn’t deeply concerned you then your head is in the clouds. Bar the Gregory header we could have played until Friday and not scored. How is it that twice in 5 matches we have been outdone by a team that lose the majority of their games?

Not having had the pleasure of being able to watch the game, taking the score at face value it's another poor defeat against a side in the relegation mix along with us and another time when we've conceded first and come away with nothing from the game. Both of which are extremely worrying trends that still continue. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Not having had the pleasure of being able to watch the game, taking the score at face value it's another poor defeat against a side in the relegation mix along with us and another time when we've conceded first and come away with nothing from the game. Both of which are extremely worrying trends that still continue. 

but we all know this and the January signings are supposed to correct this.

Just now, Spanish said:

Yes just making the point that we won't be able to keep clean sheets every game nor score first. As last night illustrated.

Hope it's just a blip and the new players are able to address these shortcomings before they become terminal.

Onto the next game as has already been said. 

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

In hindsight we probably shouldn’t have played the game last night, Wayne could have had a few days to bed the new players in before Saturday. Since they signed, there will have been no training Tuesday, no training yesterday, most like a very light warm down today and tomorrow will be shape and tactics before the game on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

In hindsight we probably shouldn’t have played the game last night, Wayne could have had a few days to bed the new players in before Saturday. Since they signed, there will have been no training Tuesday, no training yesterday, most like a very light warm down today and tomorrow will be shape and tactics before the game on Saturday.

@Gee SCREAMER !!said so and got lots of stick for it.  I am not sure whether we had a choice but the timing of both games against them favoured them.

20 minutes ago, REDCAR said:

What did their chairman do / say / eat...?

Continuous loud stream of foul and offensive language.

WR: "We are quick enough to have a go at fans for using (bad) language or being offensive on the side but you don’t expect it from the chairman. I wouldn’t expect it from our owners or our board. It’s a bit disappointing but I suppose he works in different ways to us.”

46 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Oh no, the dreaded “must win” when it actually isn’t. Important?, useful?, will help relieve the pressure? Yes, yes and yes but still not a MUST win game.

I think, at best we’ll draw which will put us well and truly back in the mire but it still isn’t game over even if we lose.

The pressure is heaped back on us now when we had a chance to pull away. Let’s hope there’s a reaction in there somewhere. Can’t help but feel that five new signings + Bielik out is the perfect storm...

12 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Play the game and we win = good decision.

Play game and lose = poor decision

Maybe Rooney wanted to keep the momentum going.

But yer I wonder how much effect the new players not having any training time had on their performance last night and ultimately the final result.

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

@Gee SCREAMER !!said so and got lots of stick for it.  I am not sure whether we had a choice but the timing of both games against them favoured them.

I can still see the memes all over twitter saying Rotherham were scared to play us ?. We 100% should have pushed the game, bit of naivety from us. We need to time again now to learn how to play without Beilik, might have to try 3 at the back again, and play 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 as I don’t think we’ve got a midfielder good enough who can play the holding role on their own.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Our own manager described the game as “season defining” - so I don’t think it’s unfair to say that it was an important game. It was. 

The pressure is heaped back on us now when we had a chance to pull away. Let’s hope there’s a reaction in there somewhere. Can’t help but feel that five new signings + Bielik out is the perfect storm...

I was just thinking that, it's very melodramatic at the least or unfortunate at the worst to make a statement that a game is season defining then come out on the back of a 3 - 0 reverse on it. 

Think Rooney has heaped unnecessary pressure on himself now with that comment which really didn't need to have been made at all. 

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I was just thinking that, it's very melodramatic at the least or unfortunate at the worst to make a statement that a game is season defining then come out on the back of a 3 - 0 reverse on it. 

Think Rooney has heaped unnecessary pressure on himself now with that comment which really didn't need to have been made at all. 

I removed that first part from my post as I was initially under the impression that the poster was referring to the Rotherham game as not being that important.

However, the point still stands. All credit to them for the three wins in a row, but last night was a stark reminder that we are in no way out of the woods and are still very much in the mire. The closer this gets to the end of the season, the more worried I become about our decision to appoint a rookie manager after Cocu left, as opposed to one with more experience*

(*I think this is a sentiment that is shared by a lot of other fans, which then gets misconstrued as having it "out for Rooney" or something. I don't dislike the guy at all. Certainly prefer him to Lampard. But I don't like how he came to be in that position - I think it's rotten - and I'm still not convinced that hiring a manager with no experience this season was a good idea. But that's not on Rooney's head necessarily. It's on the ownership.)

Fortunately we do now have the opportunity to give some players a rest on Saturday. Mentally as well as physically, last night's horror show would have taken it out of a few of them. We never looked like we felt we could win the game.

I'd expect to see a change in midfield and out wide at the very least. Lawrence will hopefully be fit again and I'd give Roberts a go on the other side.

Maybe three at the back with the extra man up front. Bird has never really been able to play as a single CDM so a change in formation might be on the cards. Anyway, that's Wayne's job.

Just think what state we'd be in without Bielik if we hadn't managed to get some bodies through the door? 

I don’t think @IlsonDerby is wrong when he says that we have to win on Saturday now. We went into the Bournemouth and Bristol City games with the same task - limiting the damage caused by defeats to relegation rivals.

If we don’t, we risk gifting all of the momentum to the teams around us once again. People underestimate the swing a game like last night can provide.

The nine points we have squandered have basically given Rotherham and Sheff Wed a lifeline. Had we even drawn those three games, both teams would be staring at 5-6 point deficits and knowing they have it all to do.

Instead, Rotherham play Cardiff and Sheff Wed play Wycombe in midweek and our result last night and versus Barnsley will have a domino effect, I feel.

Seeing us and Birmingham teetering on 28 points and within striking distance will be a huge motivating factor.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Having slept on it can we stop accusing people who are upset at a 3-0 loss to a team in the relegation zone as being some sort of negative doom and gloomers? 

If last night hasn’t deeply concerned you then your head is in the clouds. Bar the Gregory header we could have played until Friday and not scored. How is it that twice in 5 matches we have been outdone by a team that lose the majority of their games?

That first goal they scored belongs in under 12s football by the way one of the worst team goals I’ve ever seen us concede. No individually error the whole team got it wrong. 

I assumed the home game was a one off and that we’d be ready for the physical battle this time around - how wrong was I?! 

Saturday becomes a must win which is unnecessary pressure but the pressure is real. 

anyway I’ll be chucking my 10 quid into the pot again Saturday. Up the useless rams. 

You’re acting like they outplayed us from minute one. They pressed us and made it difficult especially in the first half, but just before the goal we were looking the more likely to go on and win it. 3-0 doesn’t reflect the game at all, Middlesbrough was much worse than this. 

When you’re in a relegation battle every game becomes a ‘must win’ and you can’t win all of them. Name me a game this season that hasn’t felt like a ‘must win’ for us, excluding the beginning of the season. 

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I removed that first part from my post as I was initially under the impression that the poster was referring to the Rotherham game as not being that important.

However, the point still stands. All credit to them for the three wins in a row, but last night was a stark reminder that we are in no way out of the woods and are still very much in the mire. The closer this gets to the end of the season, the more worried I become about our decision to appoint a rookie manager after Cocu left, as opposed to one with more experience*

(*I think this is a sentiment that is shared by a lot of other fans, which then gets misconstrued as having it "out for Rooney" or something. I don't dislike the guy at all. Certainly prefer him to Lampard. But I don't like how he came to be in that position - I think it's rotten - and I'm still not convinced that hiring a manager with no experience this season was a good idea. But that's not on Rooney's head necessarily. It's on the ownership.)

we could have had fat Sam though?  He would have met you're criteria.  Thing is nobody knows and apart from 2 events against the same team I think he has done well on and off the pitch

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

we could have had fat Sam though?  He would have met you're criteria.  Thing is nobody knows and apart from 2 events against the same team I think he has done well on and off the pitch

Yep, could of been Sam. Or any of the many other available managers, who all could of done better or worse. As you say, nobody knows!

My point is just this: was this the time to hire a rookie manager? Was this the season for another gamble of that sort? I’m not so sure.

58 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Plenty of other ones to choose from NR

True but this one surely stands out in terms of an abysmal results especially with it being a six pointer where the very very minimum hope is to avoid defeat ... we’ve effectively handed over an extra point too with that 6 way goal swing 

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yep, could of been Sam. Or any of the many other available managers, who all could of done better or worse. As you say, nobody knows!

My point is just this: was this the time to hire a rookie manager? Was this the season for another gamble of that sort? I’m not so sure.

don't think we had much choice given our money situation.  Always a gamble and until last night it looked like it was the right one, still might be.  Much depends on whether the new guys are actually any good

Archived