Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

Think Cocu alluded in his tenure that Sibley has work to do with his off the ball game, ie when we are defending in shape. With the situation we are in, don’t think Rooney feels we can afford to take chances with young players. 

Some may say Knight and Bird still play but think these two are competent in our own third and can play in a shape. Think Sibley is more a luxury player for when we are in form. Get further away from the drop zone and we will see more of young Louis. 

10 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Last thought tonight. I thought Louie would be a real Rooney sort of player but he's hardly had a kick. I dreaded he was being protected for Jan window but that wasnt it. Could it just be silly bookings so doesnt trust him to finish a match? Or nothing to worry about and he just thinks not quite ready for bigger role yet?  I thought Louie was most exciting prospect creatively. Any thoughts? 

I think it is a combination of two things - physical strength and temperament. 

His upper body strength allows him to be pushed off the ball too easily. I think he's busy working on that from bits I have seen on his social media.

His temperament is different,  I think he's got to curb that if he wants to progress. Picked up another booking last night despite only being on the pitch a few minutes.

I think this aggression is partly a response to coming out on the wrong side of physical battles and then retaliating, so is actually linked to his physical strength. Let's hope as the first improves, the other does too.

Louie for me is the most exciting of our younger players in terms of what he could bring to the team creativity wise. Just needs to keep working at it and he will get there.

As others have mentioned, he'd get more game time if we weren't in such a precarious position in the table.

I was at a loss as to why Sibley wasn't brought on much sooner yesterday. I'm still rattled by it.

Against the Rotherhams of this league, who'll hurry you any time you're on the ball and mainly look to attack on the counter, you know you're in for a game where confidence and creativity on the ball (particularly in the middle of the park) are essential if you want to be creating chances. Bielik had this in abundance, with him now out for the season we need to replace that in this key position. Sibley is perfect for this.

Bird and Shinnie are not creative players in the way Bielik and Sibley are. Knight can play positively, but if we're setting up with 2 box-to-box midfielders and a DM in Bird, who is a keep-the-ball/do-the-basics kind of midfielder and not a creative type, then we'll struggle to open teams up, and we won't go about attacks with much purpose at all, as was on show yesterday. Have Sibley in there and you'll have a player who can feed the Jozwiaks, CKRs, and who'll create chances for himself too. 

Having CKR and Waghorn on the pitch at the same time (why Rooney uses Waghorn as a winger is beyond me, I love the bloke but in that position he is utterly useless), then atm we're left with Jozwiak and Knight as our only real creative outlets going forward (2/5 of our outfield players that aren't defenders...), until Byrne and Buchanan have chance to join in any attacks. 

I understand people's points about Sibley's discipline, he needs to cut out the silly fouls as these have been hurting us. I don't agree that his lack of defensive nous is an issue though, with Shinnie and Bird in there do we really need the 3rd CM to be defensively minded as well? You can see the burden on Jozwiak to create a bit of magic whenever he's on the ball atm, because CKR and Waghorn are the types of players that need chances creating for them to finish, not the other way round. 

Roberts will hopefully be starting soon which will help having another player who can make things happen on the ball. But for the life of me I can't see why Rooney doesn't give Sibley more of a chance in games where we know we'll be needing that bit of magic to open teams up. People say he's had a 'dip in form' but I'd argue he's barely had a sniff under Rooney so far. 

Rant over! 

So frustrating. I can't for the life of me understand how Waghorn gets to start ahead of Sibley. I fail to see what wags really brings to the team. For someone of his experience his tackling is atrocious and crosses are wasteful. 

Rooney says anyone who trains hard deserves a place in the team. All I can think is he must work his socks off in training but I fail to see what he really offers on the pitch! Surely there's no way he can start against Barnsley?

27 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

I was at a loss as to why Sibley wasn't brought on much sooner yesterday. I'm still rattled by it.

Against the Rotherhams of this league, who'll hurry you any time you're on the ball and mainly look to attack on the counter, you know you're in for a game where confidence and creativity on the ball (particularly in the middle of the park) are essential if you want to be creating chances.

How long did it take him to get his yellow card? He's learning the game, see @angierams post just above you for a reasoned yet obvious answer.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

I think it is a combination of two things - physical strength and temperament. 

His upper body strength allows him to be pushed off the ball too easily. I think he's busy working on that from bits I have seen on his social media.

His temperament is different,  I think he's got to curb that if he wants to progress. Picked up another booking last night despite only being on the pitch a few minutes.

I think this aggression is partly a response to coming out on the wrong side of physical battles and then retaliating, so is actually linked to his physical strength. Let's hope as the first improves, the other does too.

Louie for me is the most exciting of our younger players in terms of what he could bring to the team creativity wise. Just needs to keep working at it and he will get there.

As others have mentioned, he'd get more game time if we weren't in such a precarious position in the table.

I think he has to show his aggression through football not petulance.

If he’s being ‘bullied’, the best way to react is to make the bully look stupid, which he has the tricks to do. Like many in the team, he needs to learn when to dribble past players and when to give and receive the ball to pass them. We know he can shoot, but can he fashion the chances to do so against an organised defence?

When he defends, the important thing is to get goal side and hold his player up whilst teammates get into position. Giving away cheap free kicks will punish his teammates, not help them.

He’s young, but he needs to learn quicker or he’ll become another promising academy player that didn’t quite make it.

Overlooking Sibley when we can scarcely score remains criminal.

He is one of, if not the only player, seemingly capable of pulling out a goal from nowhere.

Fitting him in shouldn't be an issue as he can play central, attacking or wide as needed. 

If Rooney's going to start looking at Lawrence being the saviour in a game or 2 it's difficult to see what he brings that Sibley can't.

Rooney saw the hattrick V Millwall first hand, and you would have thought from his career that he'd have an appreciation for a Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard type.

1 minute ago, Rample said:

He is one of, if not the only player, seemingly capable of pulling out a goal from nowhere.

Fitting him in shouldn't be an issue as he can play central, attacking or wide as needed. 

If Rooney's going to start looking at Lawrence being the saviour in a game or 2 it's difficult to see what he brings that Sibley can't.

Rooney saw the hattrick V Millwall first hand, and you would have thought from his career that he'd have an appreciation for a Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard type.

Absolutely, in the Birmingham game he played left side which wasn’t ideal but I think he had about 4 shots at goal in the first half and was prepared to run at his marker and take him on. None of that happened last night apart from Buchanan on a couple of occasions!

1 hour ago, Scrumpyram said:

So frustrating. I can't for the life of me understand how Waghorn gets to start ahead of Sibley. I fail to see what wags really brings to the team. For someone of his experience his tackling is atrocious and crosses are wasteful. 

Rooney says anyone who trains hard deserves a place in the team. All I can think is he must work his socks off in training but I fail to see what he really offers on the pitch! Surely there's no way he can start against Barnsley?

Perhaps Sibley doesn't do as much in training as Waggy? Just a thought, not actually read anything to the contrary, but taking Wayne's words at face value, yet Waggy still gets in ahead of Sibley, it does make you wonder.

I hope not, as Sibley appears to have so much potential, and I'm definitely in the 'Let's see him make the grade at DCFC' camp! 

Sibley and Knight are similar players, they're both dynamic box-to-box ball carriers (as in they prefer to dribble and carry the ball towards goal) but the key difference is that he's a naturally selfish player, which isn't a negative thing.

He's more inclined to work to play himself into a position to shoot, and run off players to get into a scoring position. Knight on the other hand is more likely to bring others into play.

Sibley would run past CKR more, which would leave gaps in our midfield when defending a counter attack. This used to happen quite a lot when he was getting regular games.f Knight tends to be slightly behind the forwards.

I personally think that Rooney will either bring Beni into midfield to partner up with Shinnie and move Knight up, or drop Waghorn in favour or a more productive player (Sibley or Roberts). I don't think Rooney trusts Sibley to defend in midfield.

14 hours ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Some may say Knight and Bird still play but think these two are competent in our own third and can play in a shape. Think Sibley is more a luxury player for when we are in form. Get further away from the drop zone and we will see more of young Louis. 

How is Sibley a luxury over Waghorn.. it's a necessity to threaten the opposition and get goals, otherwise it's just inbound traffic to Bird and co to defend.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long did it take him to get his yellow card? He's learning the game, see @angierams post just above you for a reasoned yet obvious answer.

For me, his attacking threat brings far more advantages to the side than the risk he brings currently with his discipline (especially in games against teams who'll be 'scrappier' and more likely to play on the counter).

2 hours ago, Rample said:

can't be doing it in training otherwise he would get game time

3 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

Perhaps Sibley doesn't do as much in training as Waggy? Just a thought, not actually read anything to the contrary, but taking Wayne's words at face value, yet Waggy still gets in ahead of Sibley, it does make you wonder.

I hope not, as Sibley appears to have so much potential, and I'm definitely in the 'Let's see him make the grade at DCFC' camp! 

I've always found the lazy in training arguments made by managers to be truly idiotic. It doesn't matter if a player does less than others in training. What matters is what happens in matches. 

Training is about development, recovery, preparation, etc. 

Overtaining is a bigger problem than undertraining. 

2 hours ago, Shang said:

Sibley and Knight are similar players, they're both dynamic box-to-box ball carriers (as in they prefer to dribble and carry the ball towards goal) but the key difference is that he's a naturally selfish player, which isn't a negative thing.

He's more inclined to work to play himself into a position to shoot, and run off players to get into a scoring position. Knight on the other hand is more likely to bring others into play.

Sibley would run past CKR more, which would leave gaps in our midfield when defending a counter attack. This used to happen quite a lot when he was getting regular games.f Knight tends to be slightly behind the forwards.

I personally think that Rooney will either bring Beni into midfield to partner up with Shinnie and move Knight up, or drop Waghorn in favour or a more productive player (Sibley or Roberts). I don't think Rooney trusts Sibley to defend in midfield.

I can tell you this much. I'm not buying another season ticket until we start playing progressive attacking football. Obviously circumstances are different because of our current position. But I don't think the footballing world has yet to understand this. 

Pride Park would be lucky to get 20,000 fans, if they are allowed full capacity at the start of next season. 

He definitely has a nasty streak and sometimes behaves as if he's entitled to rough up opposing players.  Have no problem with him being aggressive, but stupid fouls hurt the team.  He should redirect his aggression to winning games, never giving up, always being hungry, which will inspire other players to up their energy, this would help the team.  He can become very valuable on the field, if he manages this.

13 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I've always found the lazy in training arguments made by managers to be truly idiotic. It doesn't matter if a player does less than others in training. What matters is what happens in matches. 

If they're not training well (as Rooney has specified) then in matches they risk injury, or they can't last the whole match. What's idiotic about that? He hasn't said such about Sibley anyway.