Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

16 minutes ago, sage said:

More academy players have played this season than in any other since the Academy was formed.

Some players need a kick up the harris and some players need an arm round the shoulder. I have no idea which motivation Sibley will respond to and I doubt anyone on here does too.

1 minute for JML in injury time. The same for Gordon. 60 minutes for McDonald spread over 5 games. 20 minutes over 3 games for Stretton. 207 minutes over 9 games for Whittaker. 74 minutes over 5 games for Watson. 57 minutes over 7 games for Trialist.

Are those numbers supposed to be impressive? Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic that we have a large number of acadamy players 'on the fringe' of the sqaud. However, it almost seems to be a case of including them just to push the numbers up - Rooney can go to his next job saying "I gave debuts to 15 academy players within 12 months" sort of thing.

The real numbers are those of players I the squad on a regular basis: Knight (3032), Buchanan (2235), Bird (1496), Sibley (700). Whittaker next on 207).

This season we're averaging fee minutes to academy players per game than last season when we should be seeing those player's game time increasing. However, we're starting to see their gametime reduce further!

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Byrne didn't play because he had a knock. 

Jozwiak has started all but 5 under Rooney (2 if those Rooney's first 2 games)

Waghorn's played badly for most of the season but has still had a 5 or 6 game run of starting - something Bird and Sibley haven't had.

If I remember correctly, Bird was the only player to get dropped after the 3-0 defeat to Rotherham. Bird and Sibley (and te Wierik and Marriott) the chosen players to deserve dropping after the early season 4-0 defeat to Blackburn. Sibley was arguably our best player in that game!

You mean the game after we lost 3-0 and he changed the shape to 4-4-2 and we subsequently won 2-1 against an in form Boro team....shocking decision.

Remind me on the Blackburn game, can you think of any reason why Rooney decided to drop them two ?

6 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

You mean the game after we lost 3-0 and he changed the shape to 4-4-2 and we subsequently won 2-1 against an in form Boro team....shocking decision.

Remind me on the Blackburn game, can you think of any reason why Rooney decided to drop them two ?

It's hard to say how much impact Rooney had on team matters when he was just a player-coach, but we're seeing the same sorts of team selections now as we did with Cocu in the first part of this season. Maybe just a coincidence ?

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's hard to say how much impact Rooney had on team matters when he was just a player-coach, but we're seeing the same sorts of team selections now as we did with Cocu in the first part of this season. Maybe just a coincidence ?

Maybe players who are the poorest performers get dropped, maybe depends on the formation they play, are you really saying that Rooney under Cocu was influencing the team selection ? 

You also mention last season being lower mine for academy players, given we sold Bogle and Lowe in the summer there is no surprise, how much lower is it  ?? 

On 13/03/2021 at 23:04, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sibley is seen all week every week by the manager. Do any of us on here have more information as to when, if and why he should play? Also do any of us know Sibleys personality well enough to know how he best responds? If not on what basis are the assumptions made? 

So why not just have a word with him in private, given he has unfettered access? Why not qualify his comment by making it clear that it's not just SIbley under-performing. Why not give Sibley the run of games the likes of Waghon have been afforded to see if with games he does 'do better'?  It's the inconsistency and lack of loyalty that has annoyed people.

Given Wazza is meant to have gleaned some lessons from his time under Ferguson, you'd think he'd have learned that you defend your players as individuals to the hilt in public and if they need the hairdryer treatment, it's done in private. Publicly shaming your players, even when you're 100% correct, is the fastest way to lose a dressing room and frankly, it just smacks of desperation. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Or Rosenior’s influence on both.

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So why not just have a word with him in private, given he has unfettered access? Why not qualify his comment by making it clear that it's not just SIbley under-performing. Why not give Sibley the run of games the likes of Waghon have been afforded to see if with games he does 'do better'?  It's the inconsistency and lack of loyalty that has annoyed people.

Given Wazza is meant to have gleaned some lessons from his time under Ferguson, you'd think he'd have learned that you defend your players as individuals to the hilt in public and if they need the hairdryer treatment, it's done in private. Publicly shaming your players, even when you're 100% correct, is the fastest way to lose a dressing room and frankly, it just smacks of desperation. 

Have you heard Rooney's comments about Sibley with Colin Gibson after the game? Have a listen.

On 14/03/2021 at 14:26, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

But who's to say he's wrong? 

That's presumably what this thread is about - people who watch Derby, and Sibley, sharing their opinions. Yes, Rooney has 'privileged access' and a world of top-level football experience and yes, he might be right. But equally he might be wrong; managers sometimes are. The point is it's a legitimate debate and not settled just by pointing out that Rooney is the manager and we are not!

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Rooney on Sibley today: 

Screenshot_20210315-145741_Twitter.jpg

There is a hint of holding Sibley to different standards in all this, ie 'I think you can be brilliant so I'm not going to pick you until you play brilliantly all the time'. I think if you do this you can easily end up with a resentful player. A sub-standard Sibley would probably still contribute more than Waghorn and maybe it's a lack of confidence caused by not being picked which is causing the problem in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, vonwright said:

There is a hint of holding Sibley to different standards in all this, ie 'I think you can be brilliant so I'm not going to pick you until you play brilliantly all the time'. I think if you do this you can easily end up with a resentful player. A sub-standard Sibley would probably still contribute more than Waghorn and maybe it's a lack of confidence caused by not being picked which is causing the problem in the first place. 

Rooney contradicts himself again. Singles out certain players when others need to do so much more.

I'd love to know what he thinks to Jozwiak running with the ball. 

4 minutes ago, vonwright said:

That's presumably what this thread is about - people who watch Derby, and Sibley, sharing their opinions. Yes, Rooney has 'privileged access' and a world of top-level football experience and yes, he might be right. But equally he might be wrong; managers sometimes are. The point is it's a legitimate debate and not settled just by pointing out that Rooney is the manager and we are not!

Who decides whether WR is right or wrong, If Sibley plays against Brentford and scores a hatrick and we win 3-0 most on here would say Wow it looks like Sibley has taken what WR has said onboard.

If Sibley starts tomorrow and has a mare and is taken off after 60mins, Posters on here would say...Jeez he wasn't given the chance to shine.