Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

11 hours ago, angieram said:

Frankly, I don't think we will see it for Derby as he will be off at the end of the season. I might join him.....

Not for the first time, I'm with @angieram on this one.

I've supported Derby for over 40 frustrating years, sometimes up, mostly down, and recently I've found myself pondering on what it actually means to support the club.  After all, there is almost no link between the Derby of the late '70s and that of today - not the players, manager, owners; not even the ground.  Perhaps the kit, if you squint in a low light...

I think it was Rowett's preposterous sale of Will Hughes that really crystallised it for me - it's through the development of the club's young players that I most identify with the club.  I really enjoy watching young football players develop; like the vicarious thrill of hearing fans of other teams talk about "that young Derby player" they've seen; even more so when, like Buchanan this season, they show it on a bigger stage.

That's why, after yesterday's disappointment, I found myself looking at other results - Will Hughes at Watford, obviously, but also Jack Stretton at Stockport, Farrend Rawson (& Nigel Clough) at Mansfield, Charles Vernam at Bradford, wondering where JH-I is at Stevenage....  These players (and manager) are always "Derby" to me.

And so, after Rooney's ill-advised public comments about Louie Sibley yesterday, I no longer care whether Rooney goes or stays.  For me, Derby County isn't about Wayne Rooney, it's about Louie Sibley, Max Bird, Lee Buchanan and the others.   Keep going, boys.

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

I've supported Derby for over 40 frustrating years, sometimes up, mostly down, and recently I've found myself pondering on what it actually means to support the club.  After all, there is almost no link between the Derby of the late '70s and that of today - not the players, manager, owners; not even the ground.  Perhaps the kit, if you squint in a low light...

I think it was Rowett's preposterous sale of Will Hughes that really crystallised it for me - it's through the development of the club's young players that I most identify with the club.  I really enjoy watching young football players develop; like the vicarious thrill of hearing fans of other teams talk about "that young Derby player" they've seen; even more so when, like Buchanan this season, they show it on a bigger stage.

That's why, after yesterday's disappointment, I found myself looking at other results - Will Hughes at Watford, obviously, but also Jack Stretton at Stockport, Farrend Rawson (& Nigel Clough) at Mansfield, Charles Vernam at Bradford, wondering where JH-I is at Stevenage....  These players (and manager) are always "Derby" to me.

And so, after Rooney's ill-advised public comments about Louie Sibley yesterday, I no longer care whether Rooney goes or stays.  For me, Derby County isn't about Wayne Rooney, it's about Louie Sibley, Max Bird, Lee Buchanan and the others.   Keep going, boys.

I agree.

Let’s scrap the first team, leave the efl and just enjoy u23, u18 leagues 

no more match day misery, no more inflated egos on inflated wages, no more wasted money on transfers that don’t work, no more journeymen loans, no more poor managers with their own agendas, no more takeover fiascos , no more efl 

We could simply enjoy football as a game and appreciate young players trying to do the best

Really don’t get why he singled out Sibs. He looked really bright. And a massive tryer. How on earth Waggy and Joz get ahead of him is unreal. Their end product is horrendous. Got to start with Sibley and Watson in the next game. He can’t possibly stick with the same 11 when we haven’t scored in the last 4 

28 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Really don’t get why he singled out Sibs. He looked really bright. And a massive tryer. How on earth Waggy and Joz get ahead of him is unreal. Their end product is horrendous. Got to start with Sibley and Watson in the next game. He can’t possibly stick with the same 11 when we haven’t scored in the last 4 

It’s strange, that’s for sure. Maybe Rooney has a problem with Sibley’s attitude? Perhaps he was just angry with Sibley’s miss which was a really bad miss, let’s be fair. 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Bang on.

18 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Yh good player on his day given a decent run miles better than some that are starting.. but wouldn’t surprise me if he wants out at the end of the season...

Yeah he could go to another team where he also wouldn't get into the first team based on his performances, then repeat.

Alternatively he could follow the footsteps of several promising youngsters like Sterling and Foden for example, who also struggled to get a regular starting place in the lineup. They listened to the advice (criticism in some eyes) given to them, took it on board and have become players who now consistently live up to their potential. Not doing it once every 10-15 games.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Love this, never agreed with something more. Even if we get relegated, we still have our academy which is one of the best academies in the country, and our young players will always be able to step up and keep us out of trouble, like how last season Knight and Bird stepped into the first team at the start of the 2020, and we began to pick up wins. I’ll always remember games like the 2-1 win at home to Charlton more than others because of Jason Knight’s double, or the 3-2 win against Millwall because of Sibbo’s hattrick.

Anytime one of our academy players scores or has a great game it feels like so much more of an achievement than say if Lawrence, Jozwiak, Roberts or even Bielik do (sorry Bielik still love you). It fills me with a sense of achievement that our club has really accomplished something and makes me proud to be a fan. With the millions of pounds being spent across the leagues these days it’s something special to see us develop so many young players and have them be a huge part of the first team picture. How many clubs can say that they have that? 

Our academy is, currently, perhaps the most special thing about the club right now, and many people deserve a lot of credit for how integral it has become to how we do things at Derby. 

I’ve been consistently frustrated with how little Sibley has played under Rooney but I’m hesitant to criticise his comments.

Different players are motivated in different ways, they’re unique people with varied personalities. Rooney may well know that Sibley will respond well to this. We don’t have that knowledge of what’s appropriate for this team

But I do think it’s high time to mix up the attacking plan. Getting Sibley playing off Kazim seems like the natural next step, for me. Or Watson and Knight playing in front of Shinnie in midfield? We do need a change to start creating more chances. More appearances for Gregory and Waghorn doesn’t seem to be it.

10 minutes ago, James Pond said:

....and in open play?

P.s. even showing the goals four or five times, the video is still only 2 minutes long ?

Edited by RamNut

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

....and in open play?

P.s. even showing the goals four or five times, the video is still only 2 minutes long ?

This was your post.

"In fairness, if the subject is players who produced sod all in a Derby shirt , then Rooney is an expert"

Nothing about open play, Or how long it takes to show the goals.

Amazing given the evidence of what Rooney has done in a Derby shirt, You still find an excuse to ridicule him.

1 minute ago, James Pond said:

This was your post.

"In fairness, if the subject is players who produced sod all in a Derby shirt , then Rooney is an expert"

Nothing about open play, Or how long it takes to show the goals.

Amazing given the evidence of what Rooney has done in a Derby shirt, You still find an excuse to ridicule him.

I don’t need an excuse. He was a very expensive flop.

A good builder does not blame their tools.

Sibley is a young player, he was only given 20 minutes at the end of a match in which the entire team was struggling to produce a result.

The formation played was not the best one to pick to beat Millwalls team.

I am however not blaming Rooney for this, he is new to management, and is by no means the finished article.

I dont think Rooney has his full coaching qualification from the FA yet?

There were Derby players in the match against Millwall, who deserved to be picked out for criticism, obviously Waghorn (although he is playing out of his best position), but other players as well.

Jozwiack once again did not perform, but he is the wrong sort of player for the formation that Rooney selected to play yesterday.

CZM and Knight, did not perform that well yesterday.

15 hours ago, BIllyD said:

So where is the problem in your opinion, Rooney not starting him or Rooney saying why he isn't starting him ?

Personally I would start him, I think he has great potential, Id put him above Knight but can understand what WR thinks knight brings to the team above Sibley for example. 

Both I guess ? His reasons for not starting him and bringing them up specifically up against Sibley rankle when he's given him such little game time and yet others continuously don't do what he's criticised Sibley for and play anyway.