Rooney appointed Derby County Manager

oomarkwright

Wayne Rooney, Derby County Manager  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m surprised how pleased I am by this. I didn’t want him to get the job when Cocu left, but the way he’s gone about the job since then has massively turned me around.

I think he’ll do a really good job with us - how well depends on the state of the club, whether he can bring anyone in, which young players leave etc. That’s out of his hands, but I think he’ll work his nuts off. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 100% against Rooney getting the job. We don't need another big name. We don't need a rookie. I'm also slightly concerned that great players don't make good managers because they can't understand why average players can't do what they could. 

I was very concerned that Cocu was destroying the team with the safety first mentality. I wanted a manager to de-Cocu the club as quickly as possible. I like solid defence and fast attacks. I like intensity and pressing. I like a 'mixed' style where we play short, long and medium all in the same game as we ned to.

Since taking over, Rooney has done all the things that I wanted a manager to do. I'm still concerned that he's a big name Rookie who could either Shearer or Lampard us, but it's hard not to be delighted that we've appointed a manager who has passed his work trial with such flying colours. Amazingly, I'm delighted at this news.

Glad it's been announced, firstly because I think we've been much better since he took over but equally because now everyone knows where they stand and we can kick on. No more excuses of upheaval and uncertainty lingering over staff and players, they've got a big job to do keeping us up and it's time to start racking up some points COYR

Just now, Kinder said:

I’m surprised how pleased I am by this. I didn’t want him to get the job when Cocu left, but the way he’s gone about the job since then has massively turned me around.

I think he’ll do a really good job with us - how well depends on the state of the club, whether he can bring anyone in, which young players leave etc. That’s out of his hands, but I think he’ll work his nuts off. 

Totally agree. I have been very impressed with his low key approach. It also feels a like a massive show of support to the club with all the nonsense this week. I know he will be well paid but it sends out a great message. Thanks Wayne

"To be given the opportunity to follow the likes of Brian Clough, Jim Smith, Frank Lampard and Phillip Cocu is such an honour and I can promise everyone involved in the club and all our fans, my staff and I will leave no stone unturned in achieving the potential I have witnessed over the last 12 months of this historic football club.”

That's that I want to hear!

...not sure Cocu should be amongst them names but fair play.

Looks to me like Rooney was waiting for absolute assurance that the takeover was going through and his massive war chest would be in place before the end of the window.

He's clearly had that assurance now and has the money in hand.

Announce Robinho!

13 minutes ago, Retro_RAM said:

"To be given the opportunity to follow the likes of Brian Clough, Jim Smith, Frank Lampard and Phillip Cocu is such an honour and I can promise everyone involved in the club and all our fans, my staff and I will leave no stone unturned in achieving the potential I have witnessed over the last 12 months of this historic football club.”

Dave Mackay should have been given a mention for sure and possibly Stuart McMillan too

9 minutes ago, Retro_RAM said:

Yeah, me too.

I've been waiting for him to show due deference to the history of the club. That's going some way towards that.

So I'm happy ? 

Addendum: I imagine that he mentioned Cocu to remove any lingering thoughts that he may have undermined him.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dorsett reading out Rooney's playing career highlights - I know it's a totally different thing (but he's made a good start) I'm TOTALLY blown away that Wayne Rooney is the manager of Derby County!!! #COYR

We are very lucky and privileged to have him.

13 minutes ago, Kinder said:

I echo this post, thought we needed a seasoned manager but action speaks louder than words and he deserves the role, im also glad that LR is the deputy 

100% deserved..pleased for him and what a great job to land as your first in management..let's get this takeover completed and look forward to Premier league football if not next season then certainly the one after with Rooney at the helm..

Archived