Rooney appointed Derby County Manager

oomarkwright

Wayne Rooney, Derby County Manager  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

We're just a stepping stone for Wayne, exactly like Lamps, and he'll be off to a Premier League side sooner than you can say 'hair plugs'

But in the here and now he's the best option available

Thats the nature of the beast nowadays. All we can do is get behind him (when were allowed back in) and enjoy the ride as he gets us safe and builds for next season's promotion.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney knows the club with all the issues and he is delighted to have the job. He knows that he needs experience and a chance to build. Frank may have done better doing another season with us and got us promoted. If he loses his job where does he then go. A relegation threatened Premier team is probably not a good idea. Midtable Premier same problem. Relegated Premier team with parachute money maybe. Tricky one. Only way is a step down from Chelsea if he loses his job. So Wayne will bide his time with us. Wayne also has Schteve.

He seems prepared to learn by taking on a challenge. I admire him for that and being prepared to work with the existing cast of characters rather than insist on yet another clear out so he can bring in a bunch of acolytes.

He is setting out, he is still raw and he may not save us this season. 

But he's earned a chance to do so.

Good luck Wayne........I shall have to now execute a profile name change.......hmmmm.....?

Think this might have been the least surprising appointment in football history. We’ve all known for weeks that it was going to happen at some point... but the timing does seem strange. After the week we’ve had, the last thing I was expecting was for us to hand out a permanent contract to a manager. Especially after waiting this long already, claiming we were waiting for the takeover to go through first. Does this mean it’s actually going to happen? I still can’t see it.

I guess appointing Rooney doesn’t have much short term financial impact, considering he was already under contract anyway, and so were all his staff. He’s just effectively replaced Cocu with everything else remaining roughly the same, even the contract is the same I think. So it makes sense from that perspective I guess, though I’m not sure why you’d wait until now if there really isn’t any financial impact.

FWIW, I’m still unsure about the appointment. Not as strongly against it as I once was, but I’m still a bit cautious. Rooney has done a better job that I thought he’d do so far, I’ll admit that, and he obviously deserves a bit of credit for that. Maybe he does have the makings of a manager after all. But I’m still very concerned about putting a rookie in charge given our extremely precarious position, both on and off the pitch now. I guess at least we now know where we stand in terms of the managerial situation, which removes some of the uncertainty surrounding the club, so that’s a positive. Be interesting to see how some of the other coaches do in their new roles. Rosenior being promoted to assistant manager and Given switching to first team coach will see them take on very different responsibilities. Still, if Rooney thinks they’re suited to those jobs then hopefully they’re all successful. Hopefully this new goalkeeping coach, Pearcey, who’s been promoted from the U23’s is decent as well. Be a step up for him, but I’m assuming Rooney has spoken to him and has faith in him.

Happy, because actually I'm quite easily pleased tbh.

The only managerial appointments I really object to are those with questionable characters like Nigel Pearson & Allardyce. I said I'd back whoever the new manager was (that condition permitting) just the same as I backed Cocu and that remains the case.

Rooney's doing a good job, but some of the fawning over some pretty generic media comments is laughable (we've had 2 threads waxing lyrical about them), the same words spoken by someone else (I don't mean just Cocu) would be written off simply as standard manager / new manager talk but they're apparently inspirational and brilliant coming from Rooney.

Maybe the players feel the same though? His stature in the English game is impressive, so that could well be the case.

He has us playing more direct, effective football - it's not really any more 'comitted' than anything we saw directly post-Boro (or even actually pre-Boro tbf), but it's undeniable that his tactics mean we have more players forward. At the same time though nowhere near enough emphasis is placed on how and why that's been possible, namely the ability to pick Bielik & CKR plus Jozwiak adapting to the league (also helped by having Bielik back)

There have been some standout results but we've still dropped points in games you'd think we should be winning against teams around us - earlier in the season we bemoaned losses to teams such as Reading, Huddersfield & Luton but they're currently teams in 5th, 13th & 14th place respective - but dropping points against Coventry, Sheffield Weds, Wycombe (currently 17th, 21st, 24th) is forgiven / excused.

I'm not sure the style of play will evolve to match that of the McClaren 2013-Feb 2015 teams, but fingers crossed.

The main thing he needs to learn is how to react to changes by opposition managers during games by making the right tactical changes and substitutions, especially if we concede the first goal because that still pretty much always seals our fate - it's difficult with such a limited squad but that never stopped anyone criticising the previous manager when he had even less to work with so I think it's fair game.

I'll conclude the post by saying best of luck Wayne, I hope you don't need it!

16 hours ago, rynny said:

I'm on the fence. Not convinced that performances are improved as much as some would have you believe. As of yet to see him alter the flow of the game (more to do with the lack of opportunity, only had a couple of games to do that so far). We are still struggling to score goals. However the results have improved, we do look more solid and don't give away as many chances.

Hopefully he does well, and we move up the table, and gets the backing from everyone at the club, from the board (whoever that may be) to the players to the fans, we need the club to pull together to push on. 

Only Brentford have conceded less than us since Rooney took over. If nothing else that deserves credit - anyone who comes here is going to have the same problems scoring goals - we have virtually no strikers here and the rest of the attacking force is threadbare as hell. If we don't sign anyone again we will struggle with goals all the way into league one regardless of who the manager is.

10 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Only Brentford have conceded less than us since Rooney took over. If nothing else that deserves credit - anyone who comes here is going to have the same problems scoring goals - we have virtually no strikers here and the rest of the attacking force is threadbare as hell. If we don't sign anyone again we will struggle with goals all the way into league one regardless of who the manager is.

...largely because of knife-edge situations going in our favour, the added bite & defensive intelligence in midfield from Bielik, the ball not bouncing off CKR in the way it does off Waghorn and Jozwiak being much less wasteful in possession and harder to knock off it than Lawrence.

We have kept it tighter at the back, but the 9 goals conceded in the 9 games between Norwich & Bristol City (without a fit Bielik & CKR) was hardly a disaster in itself.

I very sensible and well considered move for a number of reasons. Some of these being the following.

In this time of turmoil and uncertainty at the club, continuity and a set on the field plan is important. This is provided by Rooney's appointment.This will help to calm any rumblings or disquiet in the dressing room giving the manager the authority to talk with and make decisions now he has the public backing of both Mel and the (possible) new owners. 

This also sends out a message that things are moving forward (all be it) slowly towards some sort of longer term certainty for the club and its playing staff.

His interview is also intended to breed optimism in the fans that certain things are now changing for the better and we will see movement in the transfer market although it maybe at the very last minute.

The overall effect of this appointment has had its intended to take peoples minds off the non-payment of wages the perilous financial situation and focus on and talk about Rooney and on his effect on the pitch and the possibility of new signings.

My personal point of view is that this good move it keeps the club in public view for good reasons, its good PR, will help bring money.sponsors and players to the club through his name and stature as a player and a person.

There' appears' at the moment to be no downside to it.

19 hours ago, Ramley Apple said:

The only reservation I have is that if he is successful here then he'll be off to a Premier League team soon as and we'll be back to having to find a replacement

Might be next season. Man U will find a place for him if it's a decent season. Enjoy while we can!

5 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Might be next season. Man U will find a place for him if it's a decent season. Enjoy while we can!

Well, let’s be successful first before we worry about some other team wanting our Manager. If he keeps us up and then gets us pushing for a top 6 spot next season and a bigger club come sniffing around so be it. Is the alternative appointing a Manager who doesn’t do so well just so we keep him? Bit flawed logic in my view.

• 2 months later...

Archived