Duane Holmes - signed for Huddersfield

Heisenberg

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on the one hand he is a victim of the much needed austerity measures - same as Chris Martin.

On the other, he lost his place to Shinnie and knight. 

And we need the money.

good luck Duane . All the best!

A really frustrating player - had ability to go past defenders with ease but, nine times out ten, his final ball/decision making was below average. Barring one purple patch when everything seemed to work out for him, he didn’t offer a huge amount to the team on a consistent basis. We’ve got Whittaker who seems equally as capable in the role he’s had more recently - and would much rather Whittaker got more chance to develop. Seemed a nice guy off the pitch and wish him the best of luck at Huddersfield. No idea what his wages are but if it frees up space to bring squad improvement then it’s surely a good move for all. 

Duane overall given what we paid hasn’t been a bad signing. Clearly has ability, the injury in 2019 impacted him but then came back into some good form in early 2020 only to fall away again. Maybe Sinnott’s death played a part who knows? He hasn’t been good now for at least 10 months so I don’t think we lose anything by him going. Maybe Huddersfield his hometown club will be a good fit and see him reach his potential. Seems a good human being and does loads of the field to help people so fair play. 

However, then the irrational fan comes out in me. Let me get this right he said two months ago he wanted to play against Huddersfield behind close doors so he could start trying to engineer a move to them and since that day he’s been working to make that happen, in that two months where Derby have been in a dire position and need all their senior pros pulling their weight?! 

On the one hand I think good lad wish him all the best, on the other - he can ducking do one 

24 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Duane overall given what we paid hasn’t been a bad signing. Clearly has ability, the injury in 2019 impacted him but then came back into some good form in early 2020 only to fall away again. Maybe Sinnott’s death played a part who knows? He hasn’t been good now for at least 10 months so I don’t think we lose anything by him going. Maybe Huddersfield his hometown club will be a good fit and see him reach his potential. Seems a good human being and does loads of the field to help people so fair play. 

However, then the irrational fan comes out in me. Let me get this right he said two months ago he wanted to play against Huddersfield behind close doors so he could start trying to engineer a move to them and since that day he’s been working to make that happen, in that two months where Derby have been in a dire position and need all their senior pros pulling their weight?! 

On the one hand I think good lad wish him all the best, on the other - he can ducking do one 

He should pay us back his last 2 months pay

Good luck Duane, shame he didn’t live up to his early promise here. Turned out to be a largely forgettable spell at the club. Disappointed not to get anything for him though, with a full contract he’s a £2-3m player imo. Appreciate we won’t get that when his contract is up, but I’d still expect to get some form of compensation.

On his comments, it’s disappointing to see he wasn’t committed during his last few months at the club. Clearly wasn’t putting the work into training judging by Rooney’s previous comments, which shows a poor attitude.

I liked Holmes. A decent player most of the time; a good player on his day. However, on this season's form, definitely a player we won't miss too much in the long term. Also not a player who will be so influential at his new club that we will be kicking ourselves for letting him go. Good luck Duane.

4 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Just a poor mans Ruben Zadkovich 

Remember when we signed him. Never heard of him before and thought it may be going back to the old days of signing some top Croatian international.  Turned out be some random Australian geezer we kidnapped and press ganged into a Derby shirt. Following season we brought in Miles Sterjovski to keep him company.

16 hours ago, nottingram said:

Football player who is out of contract soon eyes up his next move. Truly shocking.

Maybe he’s been a bit honest but he is just looking out for himself as any professional would. Footballers say silly stuff all the time to get fans on side but this is a bit of a non story in my opinion. I would wager that some of us getting worked up are probably the same people saying they wouldn’t blame players for walking out of their contracts when their pay is delayed. 

Hope he does well for 44 games of a season and is crap for the other 2. 

Him wanting to go isn't an issue for me. It is just there are ways of going about it, the way he has is underhanded and sly, to go and play in a friendly that he didn't need to, just so he can engineer a move is wrong. If he wanted to leave he should have handed in a transfer request. 

44 minutes ago, rynny said:

Him wanting to go isn't an issue for me. It is just there are ways of going about it, the way he has is underhanded and sly, to go and play in a friendly that he didn't need to, just so he can engineer a move is wrong. If he wanted to leave he should have handed in a transfer request. 

I think I agree but also I just think he is very open and honest. I imagine there are all sorts of underhand ways that things happen but not many players will come out and admit to them, and that’s if it is even true. 

In the world of agents and analysis I can’t believe it took him having a chat with Huddersfield’s reserve team manager for them to become aware that he was a worthwhile signing. And if they’re that close I think he’d have just picked up the phone to him, or his agent would. Just strikes me as a silly exaggerated story to get fans on side when he joins a new club and doesn’t seem too much to get worked up over.

I liked him and thought he was a decent player and certainly not too worried about him not trying - he scored in one of our most important games this season. But ultimately he had become a reserve so I’ll not lose any sleep over him going, or these comments, either. Became clear a while ago he was going and so he perhaps reined it in in training a bit is the only thing, but I’d leave that up to Rooney to deal with, which he did by not picking him.

Frustrating player, who occasionally did something that made you think he could carve out a career at this level, but more often just showed his inadequecies. 

Acceptable squad player at this level and pretty versatile, but couldn't nail any position down and fell behind so many of our youth team. Literally behind Mitchell-Lawson and McDonald in recent weeks.

I can see a little purple patch for him at Huddersfield, one of those players that makes headlines by scoring in a few successive games, but then goes off the boil again. He'll be alternating between their bench and filling in for injuries by next season. 

AS the saying goes... " there's no pace like Holmes' "

He covered the ground well and gave the team some raw forward momentum but his quality left a lot to be desired. Personally, I thought he was a liability on the ball and caused us more problems than he created for the opposition.

I think Rooney very quickly saw him for what he was.

Archived