Duane Holmes - signed for Huddersfield

Heisenberg

7 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

How many of us were loving it when Martin signed a new contract with us while at Fulham to try and force himself back in January?

This was talked about at the time as an example for another player (can't remember which). The point was Martin was OUR player. Holmes was not Huddersfield's. Good to see him putting in some effort to his football. Happy he's got his move.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem for some people will be that his form was very poor for the last 6 months and thus people assume he’s wanted out for a while.

For me it’s a player off the wage bill and hopefully allows us to bring one in. Got to look forwards at the moment!

I think it’s probably best for all concerned. Club needs money off the books player fancies somewhere else manager wants rid of a player who is not working hard enough. I quite like him but he was ordinary at best. And truly awful recently. 

I know there’s mitigating circumstances but last season Jason Knight came into the Derby squad as an academy product who was in direct competition with Holmes for those attacking midfield places. One has cemented his position, is now the captain and is probably our most consistent performer over this season. The other...well what can you say?

Whether he wanted out way before now or what I don’t know, but I don’t think he reacts well when it’s not going his way. You can’t say he ever forced his way back into contention, there’s a way to be out of form and work your way out of a bad stretch and I don’t think we saw a willingness to do that 

What Duane said on leaving, won’t be new, clubs put feelers out on players and managers through agents all the time, shouldn’t be a surprise players also do it.

I think the only disappointing thing is he felt the need to go public with it in a bid to woo his new/old fans.

He could be walking away frustrated, no attachment formed with the club and fans having been criticised for out of football activities even mentioned in this topic.

It is what it is, disappointing but I won’t lose any sleep over it or feel the need to target him with any kind of abuse.

Let’s be honest, as good as a signing he was at the time, he never nailed down a position of his own in the team, filled gaps when needed with flashes of great form.

Cheap squad filler, nothing more, but he will need replacing. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

This was talked about at the time as an example for another player (can't remember which). The point was Martin was OUR player. Holmes was not Huddersfield's. Good to see him putting in some effort to his football. Happy he's got his move.

Yes but it still falls under the umbrella of 'transfer shenanigans', which are rife across football but I'm supposed to be up in arms that we've been a victim of it.

Sorry to see the lad go though appreciate I'm in the minority. Hate the stupid comments about what he does in his spare time though. Given what the lad's been through and that he always put in a shift, even when not on his best form, it's embarrassing to see two-bob jibes from a bunch of no marks about how he spends his free time.

16 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Sorry to see the lad go though appreciate I'm in the minority. Hate the stupid comments about what he does in his spare time though. Given what the lad's been through and that he always put in a shift, even when not on his best form, it's embarrassing to see two-bob jibes from a bunch of no marks about how he spends his free time.

Totally agree. Much rather have him in our squad than someone else's, especially where we are currently at.

Not sure what he does in his free time that has upset people, also not sure why his comments upon leaving have either, I'm sure if that's was a player coming into us nobody would bat an eyelid and defend anyone that was critical of it. 

To be honest I always liked him although of late he has been pants , what you have to ask yourself is why ? . 

But obviously wasnt putting his best in and wanted away , shame as there is a good player there , which when we play huddersfield I bet we will see. 

I'm more concerned with why he wasnt trying to be honest than anything else . 

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

I think the death of his friend seems to have had a huge impact on him and possibly frames where he is at. Good luck Duane

I think this 100%. I think he was one of our best performers in the first half of the 19/20 season. Since Sinnott's death in January 2020 his performances have not been great, I could easily believe it was related.

He also seemed close to Hudds (see his Twitter profile pic) who's no longer at the club, which may also have impacted his desire to stay here.

He seemed like a good bloke off the pitch, trying to use his profile for good. All the best Duane.

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Talk about insults ?

Keogh played his heart out for Derby county so he would have been getting a round of applause from me whilst his ending here was his own stupid fault - Holmes well he wasn’t in the same league in terms of quality and commitment 

I have never had an issue with Keogh, always thought he never got the respect he should have had. The way he was treated at the end was awful, when he comes to PP, I will stand and clap him

Archived