New Manager

dantheram

After some research Wanchope has an interesting but short managerial record, his average tenure is about 10 games so I’m not sure whether they’re generally caretaker manager roles, also has his UEFA A License (I think that’s the top one?).

And Mac’s assistants have generally played for him (Simmo, Powell, Eustace).

Only problem is he’d probably end up twatting someone sat in the front row of the West Stand.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Allardyce would demand a huge salary and 2 years at the very least. I'm no snob - I just don't think it's anywhere near feasible.

Big bonus for keeping us up could be self-funding 

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

Big bonus for keeping us up could be self-funding 

Perhaps we could get half his wages paid for by Weight-watchers.

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Absolutely no to this. FFP renews with new ownership so Mel should do the honourable thing and sack him with his own money.

I can’t see him doing it though. He’s run the club down to it’s knees over the past 2 years. 

FFP doesn’t reset.

With football on its knees financially across the world 15m could buy some very handy players.

That could transform the mood just as much as a new manager.

I’m still struggling to think of a managerial solution that solves a problem like Wayne.

I absolutely understand the Cocu out sentiment but I’m doubling down. Cocu in.

2 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

FFP doesn’t reset.

With football on its knees financially across the world 15m could buy some very handy players.

That could transform the mood just as much as a new manager.

I’m still struggling to think of a managerial solution that solves a problem like Wayne.

I absolutely understand the Cocu out sentiment but I’m doubling down. Cocu in.

4Ya8UtZz4PEuk.gif

52 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

After some research Wanchope has an interesting but short managerial record, his average tenure is about 10 games so I’m not sure whether they’re generally caretaker manager roles, also has his UEFA A License (I think that’s the top one?).

And Mac’s assistants have generally played for him (Simmo, Powell, Eustace).

Only problem is he’d probably end up twatting someone sat in the front row of the West Stand.

He is the solution.....stick him upfront ?

14 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Maybe.

But if you set a vision and have a four year plan you’ve got to have the balls to see it through.

I might agree if we were not sat at the bottom of the table with virtually no goals scored from the last ten games and a decline in just about every stat that's applicable to us.

We aren't going to see this through with Cocu,we are going to be relegated with him.

That's a non negotiable scenario for any fan,even the most stubborn ones surely.

Igor, Wanchope . . . either would be worth a gamble if we were simply lower mid-table. Sadly by keeping the faith with "seventy per cent possession" Cocu -- and his kamikaze tactic of pegging ourselves in our own half -- we are now deep in the poo.  Anyone who comes in will want to scrap the outgoing gaffer's ineptly conservative ethos, but I still reckon that since it is panic button time we will be better served by a tried and trusted pair of hands. Big Sam's gotta be the man.   

8 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Doubt the 4year plan included “implode and drop to bottom of the league” at start of year 2.

I agree and I do understand why people feel the way they do.

But when things go wrong in life, I believe you have to fight harder.  Can Cocu do this?  I'm beginning to doubt but I can see the logic in almost everything he has done this year (although the lack of attacking intent is a problem).

Cocu and his team have got to sit down and look at themselves (not with the players) and resolve to work harder and smarter.  The training sessions need over the next two weeks need to focus on fitness, focus and intent.  AND imbuing a team spirit.

Beyond that he needs to rotate his squad more effectively to get more out of the young players.  Bird, Sibley, Whittaker, Archie and Stretton should all be being utilised so that senior players coming back from injury get the essential rest breaks they need.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

He got Blackpool to the play-offs and was sacked in the summer.

Newcastle were 11th when he was sacked and didn't get relegated for 18 months.

Obviously he's played some pretty agricultural stuff, but I remember his Bolton side being great to watch. My point is that he isn't a manager with a rigid style - he alters it to fit the players and the situation.

The real baggage is the dodgy England bung stuff. I'm not sure I'd be happy with him as our manager for that reason - but if we're going to be run by Saudis?

Yeah that doesn’t sit well.

As I mentioned I’m not keen but his record was better than I thought when I took a step back and looked at it in it’s entirety.

I think even if you are convinced he’s the right man it’s going to be money that’s the issue and specifically FFP

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

the problem with Mac is his man management. He would suck up to rooney.

is that a bad thing? Players respond differently, if we fly up the league, as we did in SM's last spell, and the one before, great, bring it on.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Generally done ok, didn’t do so well at Sunderland ?

He got the England job off the back of saving Sunderland from guaranteed relegation!

As look at it we have 4 distinct choices.

A. A big name Manager (probably ex-premiership) 

B. A proven Manager at Championship level who good track record for improving clubs.

C. A wild card foreign Manager who had success in leagues abroad.

D. Promote from within the current coaching set-up

If and big IF the new owners do get to buy the club then I think their order of preference may well be 

1. A

2. C

3. B

4. D

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

is that a bad thing? Players respond differently, if we fly up the league, as we did in SM's last spell, and the one before, great, bring it on.

He got the England job off the back of saving Sunderland from guaranteed relegation!

Win % there 29% but he did enough ?

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Paul cook is the most sensible one for me especially the position we are in currently and who knows with a bit of finance he could do a Jim Smith for us 

Can he handle the Rooney complication though?

At Stoke, when they tried the lower league successful guy (Jones?) who had never had to manage “names” he could not manage it (nor could ? for that matter), yet the international manager O’Neil has got them flying.

Archived