New Manager

dantheram

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think as has been pointed out, we can't sack anyone on the verge of a takeover. It causes too much insecurity and it'll have knockons to all the financials that have been declared.

Best you can hope for, if you think Cocu is the wrong person, is for him to be put on gardening leave and someone in house to take the reins.

Which makes me think the only options are Rooney or Wassall.

Does Rooney need his coaching badges to take the helm?, Wassall...hhmmm, After the Rotherham result a few years back some will be waiting for this to happen again and cry Foul!.

Already on here i've read there's unrest in the changing room, You'll have followers and leaders in all walks of life, Loud and quiet, Funny and staid, Gregarious and introverts, I think Wassall could be a guiding influence as a number 2 to the new Manager.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I wouldn’t want Rooney or Rosenior anywhere near the next management team. If we were to go down the experimental route again, Id try Ryan Lowe at Plymouth. Got them promoted last season and start this season well. All with little to no budget.  

3 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Personally I wouldn’t want Rooney or Rosenior anywhere near the next management team. If we were to go down the experimental route again, Id try Ryan Lowe at Plymouth. Got them promoted last season and start this season well. All with little to no budget.  

It’s a massive ask of a relative novice though. I am not saying we are a massive club but the expectations and pressure would be massive. I think we need to go for experience and someone proven at Championship level...

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It’s a massive ask of a relative novice though. I am not saying we are a massive club but the expectations and pressure would be massive. I think we need to go for experience and someone proven at Championship level...

I agree and see your point, yet on here people think Rooney or Rosenior can be the answer. Lowe has more management experience than both Rooney and Rosenior. We’ve tried the big names like Lampard and Cocu that never worked either. 

2 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I agree and see your point, yet on here people think Rooney or Rosenior can be the answer. Lowe has more management experience than both Rooney and Rosenior. We’ve tried the big names like Lampard and Cocu that never worked either. 

I agree about Rooney. I am not after a big name. Paul Cook ticks the boxes, over 40% win rate for Chesterfield, Pompey and Wigan and plays attacking football....

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not a great record as a Manager though....

Just another choice. Rooney for me tbh, with Mac3 would be good. Still think Rooney has enough Football intelligence and will to win and 'new manager bounce' to do the job, for this season at least. 

3 hours ago, nfb said:

Im not going to suggest a name, but i am going to suggest a thought process, if the new owners come in, and it looks like they will, they will almost certainly want someone with a 'known pedigree' (que dog puns) also they will probably want a few 'marquee signings'(for the EFL) which wont be until Jan...

BED40B8B-0B2C-4A47-8F93-DC6D4C559F65.jpeg

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just another choice. Rooney for me tbh, with Mac3 would be good. Still think Rooney has enough Football intelligence and will to win and 'new manager bounce' to do the job, for this season at least. 

Well if we have to keep him I suppose it would be better in a role off the pitch...

16 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I am not sure that many in here think that Rooney is the answer. I certainly don’t.

To get out of the mess we are in now, with the players we have (no changes till January) then man management skills are key. It is well known that Allerdyce is good in this area, not sure he would want the challenge though. (And would be expensive).

1 hour ago, Archied said:

I really don’t know where you get this idea that people like Steve Mac or Chris Martin ( or anybody come to that ) dont / wont care about the money as long as they can manage or play for Derby county , it’s bizzaare

It’s cos he bleeds black and white innit

8247BADD-E9BE-4194-94FE-B8CAF0180A1A.jpeg

There’s no easy fix here.

Whatever we do the next step is going to have to be a short term move which goes against everything we’ve been trying to do for the last few years. 

So who are the best salvage merchants out there? We are probably going to have to put any desire for nice football to one side for pragmatic championship football which will rile up our purists.

I can’t think of many names that I’d be comfortable with, Cook maybe, Wassall I’d consider, maybe Jokanovic but is this the sort of scenario he’d be able to turn around?

Whoever takes this decision is making the most managerial appointment in the last decade at least!

To me the manager is the most important part of the team, i would rather we push out the boat and get a decent manager who is successful, maybe even again from abroad in the same vein as Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds) or Nuno Espírito Santo (Wolves), managers who are liked by their ex fans who have gone elsewhere to bigger clubs.

I would not like to go the route of failed league managers e.g Sam Allardyce etc or the inexperienced route of Rooney / Wassall.

If we had to go down the route of managers from the UK then there is Nigel Adkins (left Hull due to no finance), Eddie Howe (knows the championship), Cowley brothers (did well at Lincoln, failed at Huddersfield) or look at the best manager in League 1/2 and head hunt them.

Derby are a big club, we should be a very attractive proposition.

Wassell would in all seriousness be my first choice to take over,he's knows the club like no other,understands the club's ethos (whatever that is now) and the academy.

He did really well last time he covered for us and it's four years down the line since then and now has four more years experience of the club.

Whether he wants to is a different matter,he's doing a fantastic job of running and overseeing the academy and he had so much poo from our entitled fans the last time around he would no doubt be somewhat wary!

4 hours ago, hughesy 1984 said:

We are bottom of the league and you r thinking about promotion ? get real, the team simply isn’t good enough for promotion regardless of who are  manager is. 

We are a bang average team at best at the moment. I think the best we can hope for is a new manager who plays attractive football, to get everyone ( players/ fans) enjoying again, ready for a push next year.

Although that will require a striker who can actually score goals and a solid centre back pairing. 

I don't think I ever mentioned promotion in that post outside of referring to what Jokanovic had done previously.....

Of course it's absurd to think about promotion this season but I genuinely believe that this squad has enough talent in it to challenge for a top 6 position (again not this season), there have been plenty worse squads that have done. 

With everything that went on last season we managed to finish 6 points of top 6, we lost Martin which is a blow but he wasn't even a guaranteed starter and we've improved elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

People keep talking about Mac3. Seriously?

Do you not think far too much water will have passed under that particular bridge? I can't see either Mel or Mac being up for it one more time.

Manager wise I'd love him back. But it's just not happening.

Mores the pity.

Archived