All this talk of relegation

4 hours ago, Lamp Frankard said:

I am reminded of the famous quote from Einstein about the definition of insanity. “Insanity is when you repeat the same things over and over again but expect different results”.

Einstein never said it. The quote was wrongly attributed to him.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I reckon it's probably got something to do with being bottom of the league, and there not being three teams who currently look worse than us?

well for most of the first half today we were bossing them around. We also looked like a match for Bristol (5th) except in the final third (without CKR). It's a question of finding a stable team and with SM in place that'll happen   We're not a third of the way through the season

59 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think we can beat them. But they can definitely beat us. Scoring twice should do it because we just don't score goals which is the biggest worry. 

If you look like scoring every week but keep getting beat then you'll get some luck here and there. 

Any team who focuses on clean sheets or can't score goals gives themselves little room for error. 

-15GD isn't a bit of bad luck here and there. It's plain we're doing a lot wrong.

What I find infuriating is why do we keep responding to not scoring by naming increasingly more defensive line up?

Ok 4231 with two passers in midfield and attacking full backs hasn't worked better go full Pulis. Here's a novel suggestion maybe name more attacking players ?

8 hours ago, Tombo said:

If you average 1.5 points a game from the start of the season to the end, you have 70 points and in some seasons that's a playoff place.

If we now, from Tuesday to the end of the season, average 1.5 points a game, we will end the season on 55 points and probably stay up.

We need near playoff-contending form from now on to stay up. This is dire.

This sums up the reality of the situation.

12 hours ago, Curtains said:

Why 

Because we are the Derby county that won’t get relegated,, on the other hand if we are the Derby county that very much look like going down then yes I agree ,, why,, why should we be beating Wycombe at home??‍♂️

Pretty astonished there are some on here not considering relegation as a possibility. As things stand, i believe it's more likely than not.

The league position doesnt lie...although it only tells one part of the story. 7 points, 6 goals, -15 goal difference after 14 games. These are diabolical numbers for any team at this level, let alone a team who expected to be top 10.

The biggest worry for me is the off pitch set up. To have a fighting chance of escape, everything needs to be aligned & settled off the pitch and currently nothing is. A takeover that has dragged on for weeks & shows no sign of completing, an owner on the way out unable to make big calls & a viable manager sat in the stands as a 'consultant' leaving total rookies competing with each other to be in charge. The 32Red contract looks like a millstone round our neck as we seem obliged to offer Rooney whatever he likes (playing time, managerial gig) with very little output in return. It needs ripping up but we can't afford to do that.

The solutions are obvious. A clear out of the coaching staff & a new man in charge to reset the mood, deliver fresh ideas & inject some confidence. An attacking line up to focus on improving our appalling goals return. And of course the takeover to either complete this week or the club to walkaway from the deal. The problem is we seem unwilling & incapable of doing any of these things.

I hate being this negative. I don't enjoy the lack of certainty or total absence of a mid term plan. The club is a mess & the players will realise this. If things don't change, we will be going down.

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Pretty astonished there are some on here not considering relegation as a possibility. As things stand, i believe it's more likely than not.

The league position doesnt lie...although it only tells one part of the story. 7 points, 6 goals, -15 goal difference after 14 games. These are diabolical numbers for any team at this level, let alone a team who expected to be top 10.

The biggest worry for me is the off pitch set up. To have a fighting chance of escape, everything needs to be aligned & settled off the pitch and currently nothing is. A takeover that has dragged on for weeks & shows no sign of completing, an owner on the way out unable to make big calls & a viable manager sat in the stands as a 'consultant' leaving total rookies competing with each other to be in charge. The 32Red contract looks like a millstone round our neck as we seem obliged to offer Rooney whatever he likes (playing time, managerial gig) with very little output in return. It needs ripping up but we can't afford to do that.

The solutions are obvious. A clear out of the coaching staff & a new man in charge to reset the mood, deliver fresh ideas & inject some confidence. An attacking line up to focus on improving our appalling goals return. And of course the takeover to either complete this week or the club to walkaway from the deal. The problem is we seem unwilling & incapable of doing any of these things.

I hate being this negative. I don't enjoy the lack of certainty or total absence of a mid term plan. The club is a mess & the players will realise this. If things don't change, we will be going down.

I think your right. The psychological effect of losing probably has a few players already talking to their agents about a move or what options they have. The longer this goes on the more prevalent that will become.

When the players give up on staying up we are really in trouble and I think fresh blood needs injecting

16 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

I think your right. The psychological effect of losing probably has a few players already talking to their agents about a move or what options they have. The longer this goes on the more prevalent that will become.

When the players give up on staying up we are really in trouble and I think fresh blood needs injecting

Good points. Its probably (yet) another reason for us to rely on our young players instead.

All this talk of relegation... 

# Is getting me down my love, like a cat in a bag waiting to drown.#

Well the drugs aren't working, still feel down today! 

A tiny part of me dreaded us clinging on to a 1-0 win to then have to hear people banging on about what a genius Rooney was. 

Genuinely never been as confused about team selection as yesterday. Scraping a scrappy victory against a team destined for relegation with such negative tactics wouldn't have changed my mind and I couldn't have been bothered defending my view. 

Rooney is not the answer and I don't understand why he takes sole charge to have only one voice and Steve goes in the dressing room at half time. 

Utter shambles. 

In hindsight I was wrong backing Cocu, he should have gone 2 or 3 games earlier. Please not let's make the same mistake now.

Need the new manager in ASAP before relegation becomes a serious prospect. 

9 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Call me crazy but I don't think we would have gone down under Cocu, I think we'd have eventually had something go for us and drift to a lower midtable position. In a lot of games I came away thinking we just need a little bit more of this or that  and to settle on a side. 

Look at the praise CKR got for yesterday. Taken him time get fit, but had he been able to play earlier... Cocu though could have started him in the QPR or Barnsley game and given him more than 20 mins.

I certainly don't think we would be any worse off currently. But unless Rooney went, we had no choice.

We aren’t only in a relegation battle at this point, but we’re also on pace to go down as one of - if not THE - worst team in the Championship’s small history. 

We’ve just played perhaps the most underfunded team ever to play at this level relative to the teams in the league at home and failed to win. I think their average weekly wage is roughly £1.5k per player - they now sit 3 points above us. 

The form has been carried from last season too. I’m sure I read that we’ve had 2 wins in our last 20-something league games and 14 or so defeats. This is the hallmark of a side that struggles and goes down. A positive manager change and a big January would help, but we’re kidding ourselves that will happen at this point. Rooney will relegate us and then get a job coaching the United u23s to finish his coaching badges. 

Mel’s checked out and it seems MSD are in no rush to do whatever they need to in order for us to complete the takeover so we’re all passengers in a driverless bus heading towards a cliff. Rooney admitting he’s going direct and abandoning any semblance of coaching is absolutely perfect for this scenario.

10 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Call me crazy but I don't think we would have gone down under Cocu, I think we'd have eventually had something go for us and drift to a lower midtable position. In a lot of games I came away thinking we just need a little bit more of this or that  and to settle on a side. 

By no means am I saying his position was tenable, it wasn't and their was clearly a chance he could take us down and we needed to change. But once that decision was made we needed to act quickly and decisively, get someone, give them the international break to settle and completely clear the decks with the coaching staff (that includes Rooney). Or at a bare minimum put someone impartial in charge as an interim like Wassell or Pat Lyons.

For whatever reason we've prevaricated with the ludicrous current set up who like you point out clearly weren't going to offer anything new and now I honestly think it's going to be a monumental task for someone to overturn it, especially when why would anyone in their right mind take the current job ? A bottom of the league team with possibly several staff members disgruntled at not getting the job, one of which you have to deal with as part of your squad? We've gone from needing a few adjustments to set things straight to looking like relegation fodder.

Maybe Mac would take it given he's already here but I just can't see anyone else seriously taking it who might have two weeks ago.

You’re crazy, you really are

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

All this talk of relegation... 

Is getting me down my love, like a cat in a bag waiting to drown.

This time we're going down,

I hope you're thinking of me,

When the drift right pat your side,

The Wayne don't work, he just makes it worse,

and we know we'll drop the points again,

We know we're on a losing streak,

we don't pass around too neat,

and if you wanna goal, the just let us know,

and we'll play you in again,

The Wayne don't work, he just makes it worse,

and we know we'll drop the points again,

'Cause baby, oh
If Waghorn falls, I'm coming too
Just like Ed Dawes said
If you leave my life, I'm better off dead

Well the drugs aren't working, still feel down today! 

Sorry, I'll get me coat..........

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Pretty astonished there are some on here not considering relegation as a possibility.

It’s not about considering it as a possibility though, because it absolutely is. It’s the we are doomed, announce relegation, no point playing the rest of the games mob. Which is just childish, and smacks of chucking the toys out of the pram, that irks me.

16 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Archived