All this talk of relegation

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Call me crazy but I don't think we would have gone down under Cocu, I think we'd have eventually had something go for us and drift to a lower midtable position. In a lot of games I came away thinking we just need a little bit more of this or that  and to settle on a side. 

By no means am I saying his position was tenable, it wasn't and their was clearly a chance he could take us down and we needed to change. But once that decision was made we needed to act quickly and decisively, get someone, give them the international break to settle and completely clear the decks with the coaching staff (that includes Rooney). Or at a bare minimum put someone impartial in charge as an interim like Wassell or Pat Lyons.

For whatever reason we've prevaricated with the ludicrous current set up who like you point out clearly weren't going to offer anything new and now I honestly think it's going to be a monumental task for someone to overturn it, especially when why would anyone in their right mind take the current job ? A bottom of the league team with possibly several staff members disgruntled at not getting the job, one of which you have to deal with as part of your squad? We've gone from needing a few adjustments to set things straight to looking like relegation fodder.

Maybe Mac would take it given he's already here but I just can't see anyone else seriously taking it who might have two weeks ago.

Bang on the money sir!

18 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Call me crazy but I don't think we would have gone down under Cocu, I think we'd have eventually had something go for us and drift to a lower midtable position.

Like what?! And if he couldn't find it in the previous games, we were getting worse, where would he find it?! 

45 minutes ago, Lamp Frankard said:

You may well be right. It doesn’t make the statement any less true though.

I agree with the statement, I was correcting the attribution.

If we get promoted (no, seriously, bear with me) sometime in the next few years, do we attribute that success to, say, Jürgen Klopp?

After 14 games during the 17-18 season, Sunderland were 23rd in league (a place above us) and had two more points than us (9).

They also had only one win by this point. 

They brought in Chris Coleman on the 19th of November. An appointment that possibly came too late. Or possibly the rot was so deep set by this point, that it didn't matter at all.

...I really don't recommend watching Sunderland Till I Die on a Monday morning. 

All this talk of relegation 
It's getting me down, my love
Like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown
This time I'm coming down

But I know we're on a losing streak
As I pass down by your street
And if you wanna show, then just let me know
And I'll sing in your ear again

Saw the thread title and it set me off singing this... 

Im convinced we are going down. Its pretty much nailed on now when you think about it & genuinely don't see how we get out of it. 

Our squad isn't as good as everyone thinks, we are probably going to appoint Rooney full time, were in a massive mess on the pitch & behind the scenes. We don't score goals & we are relying on for goals like waghorn & colin who have never really been prolific to score. 

The arrogance of us to sack Cocu & either think we could appoint a committee & win or a committee & chuck away points until we get someone in stinks. 

Were a sinking ship, we need someone in charge now to at least get us to put up a fight. 

On 29/11/2020 at 07:55, LeedsCityRam said:

Pretty astonished there are some on here not considering relegation as a possibility. As things stand, i believe it's more likely than not.

The league position doesnt lie...although it only tells one part of the story. 7 points, 6 goals, -15 goal difference after 14 games. These are diabolical numbers for any team at this level, let alone a team who expected to be top 10.

The biggest worry for me is the off pitch set up. To have a fighting chance of escape, everything needs to be aligned & settled off the pitch and currently nothing is. A takeover that has dragged on for weeks & shows no sign of completing, an owner on the way out unable to make big calls & a viable manager sat in the stands as a 'consultant' leaving total rookies competing with each other to be in charge. The 32Red contract looks like a millstone round our neck as we seem obliged to offer Rooney whatever he likes (playing time, managerial gig) with very little output in return. It needs ripping up but we can't afford to do that.

The solutions are obvious. A clear out of the coaching staff & a new man in charge to reset the mood, deliver fresh ideas & inject some confidence. An attacking line up to focus on improving our appalling goals return. And of course the takeover to either complete this week or the club to walkaway from the deal. The problem is we seem unwilling & incapable of doing any of these things.

I hate being this negative. I don't enjoy the lack of certainty or total absence of a mid term plan. The club is a mess & the players will realise this. If things don't change, we will be going down.

I remember hearing that one of the guys on the 'Steve Bloomers Washing' podcast had actually asked a representative of 32red about contractual stipulations regards Wayne 'erm' Rooney. That rep stated that there was no stipulation for Rooney to play or manage in the contract from their end, however there could be something stated in 'Derby version' of his contract.

Teams too big to go down In the last 20ish years.

Leeds, Man City, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Coventry, Them, Southampton, Leicester, Wolves, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Norwich, Ipswich, Fulham.

The truth is pretty much no-one is too big to go down so I don't buy into that notion. Of course we can go down but I don't think we will.

I think there is a gloom about the club. Mel has lost enthusiasm and that is filtering down. I think he is anxious and it's showing. Sitting behind the dug-out doesn't inspire confidence it adds to the pressure.

Everyone knows we need to win but Mel may as well be saying <we really really need to win is really really important so I can sell this albatross>.

I am concerned that the results on the pitch are having an adverse affect on the deal getting over the line which is why Mel, SP and Mac were within feet of the dug-out.

We have time to save it provided the deal gets done. If the deal falls through then it'll be really hard to put the brakes on.

3 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Teams too big to go down In the last 20ish years.

Leeds, Man City, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Coventry, Them, Southampton, Leicester, Wolves, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Norwich, Ipswich, Fulham.

The truth is pretty much no-one is too big to go down so I don't buy into that notion. Of course we can go down but I don't think we will.

I think there is a gloom about the club. Mel has lost enthusiasm and that is filtering down. I think he is anxious and it's showing. Sitting behind the dug-out doesn't inspire confidence it adds to the pressure.

Everyone knows we need to win but Mel may as well be saying <we really really need to win is really really important so I can sell this albatross>.

I am concerned that the results on the pitch are having an adverse affect on the deal getting over the line which is why Mel, SP and Mac were within feet of the dug-out.

We have time to save it provided the deal gets done. If the deal falls through then it'll be really hard to put the brakes on.

Spot on. I don't think we will go down, but the new manager must be one capable of 'hitting the ground running', which should significantly narrow down the list of suitable applicants. 

Well just let this sink in guys...with almost a third of the season gone..we've scored only one counting goal from open play.I repeat..One counting goal from open play.Its an absolute disaster of a season and given the current situation off the field it's really difficult to see sudden change in our fortunes.A shocking state of affairs.Ive been watching Derby County since 1967 and this lot is easily the worst I've seen in all those decades.Our only hope in my opinion is to clear out the ridiculous committee of first team coaches and appoint Darren Wassall( who I thought did pretty well last time playing good attacking football and got us into the play offs) with Mac alongside which hopefully get us a few wins before the January transfer window opens when we can get in a few bodies to help us rise up the table.Make no mistake drastic measures are needed.

Why were we so much better before Covid19. Ok we had a tough run in and we found out that we could not beat top six sides. We had to trim the losses so getting rid of higher earners and bringing in lower earners plus playing Academy players was unavoidable. On paper our players were good enough to be at least mid table. Turned out that our players did not gel and above all could not create chances or take them. Good players are not playing well. Uncertainty at the club does not help. We must have a manager with a one year rolling contract who has to produce to keep his job. Some managers would not accept that. We need a quick takeover and  improvement. It looks less likely than more likely.

10 hours ago, Rampage said:

Why were we so much better before Covid19. Ok we had a tough run in and we found out that we could not beat top six sides. We had to trim the losses so getting rid of higher earners and bringing in lower earners plus playing Academy players was unavoidable. On paper our players were good enough to be at least mid table. Turned out that our players did not gel and above all could not create chances or take them. Good players are not playing well. Uncertainty at the club does not help. We must have a manager with a one year rolling contract who has to produce to keep his job. Some managers would not accept that. We need a quick takeover and  improvement. It looks less likely than more likely.

We were only so much better for a brief period, don’t forget we had a pretty bog standard start to last season too

Archived