All this talk of relegation

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Radio Derby are turning the fan base because most fans listen to their comments and commentary.

They are even getting to me. .

Imagine how the players and staff feel .

Perhaps if they concentrated on the opposition rather than listening to Radio Derby when on the pitch,  things would be better.

This state of inertia that currently exists at the club is killing us. And it needs to change. I agree with a lot of the comments on here. But anyone who thinks we are in anything other than deep, deep trouble they are deluding themselves.

I keep hearing some say “It’s not too late”. Maybe it isn’t - yet. But more dropped points like today and we will be soon be marooned in the bottom three with a widening gap. Lose to Coventry on Wednesday and we will be nine points from safety. Ten if you take into account goal difference. Even at this stage it’s a difficult deficit to recover. And given the current weaknesses in our squad, the inability to keep clean sheets, the failure to see out games and to take our chances even when we manage to create them and the low fitness levels, the portents do not look promising. The longer this goes on the worse it will get.

We’ve just scraped a point at home to a side that - let’s be honest - are pretty poor. First half was better but then it couldn’t have been much worse. But the second half was dismal. A half decent side would have dispensed with us with ease. 

Our situation is not insoluble but we need act quickly to stop the rot. The club needs to appoint a new manager who can take the situation by the scruff of its neck. Change is needed now - new owners or no new owners.

In this situation I am reminded of the famous quote from Einstein about the definition of insanity. “Insanity is when you repeat the same things over and over again but expect different results”. If we keep repeating the same mistakes we will follow Sunderland and Ipswich into League one. 

6 minutes ago, Lamp Frankard said:

This state of inertia that currently exists at the club is killing us. And it needs to change. I agree with a lot of the comments on here. But anyone who thinks we are in anything other than deep, deep trouble they are deluding themselves.

I keep hearing some say “It’s not too late”. Maybe it isn’t - yet. But more dropped points like today and we will be soon be marooned in the bottom three with a widening gap. Lose to Coventry on Wednesday and we will be nine points from safety. Ten if you take into account goal difference. Even at this stage it’s a difficult deficit to recover. And given the current weaknesses in our squad, the inability to keep clean sheets, the failure to see out games and to take our chances even when we manage to create them and the low fitness levels, the portents do not look promising. The longer this goes on the worse it will get.

We’ve just scraped a point at home to a side that - let’s be honest - are pretty poor. First half was better but then it couldn’t have been much worse. But the second half was dismal. A half decent side would have dispensed with us with ease. 

Our situation is not insoluble but we need act quickly to stop the rot. The club needs to appoint a new manager who can take the situation by the scruff of its neck. Change is needed now - new owners or no new owners.

In this situation I am reminded of the famous quote from Einstein about the definition of insanity. “Insanity is when you repeat the same things over and over again but expect different results”. If we keep repeating the same mistakes we will follow Sunderland and Ipswich into League one. 

But according to “ Curtains “ we have no divine right to beat Wycombe at home never mind the return game, looks like we are done then 

Of course no team has ever actually been dead and buried after 14 games. But the worry about relegation is fully justified, in fact you’re completely deluded if you don’t think it’s a real possibility. I mean, look at our league position! And there’s more to it than that as well. This hasn’t just been a bad start, this has been an appalling start, one of the worst in this divisions history. At the moment we look like a Championship version of our 2008 Premier League team, we are that bad. We’ve scored 6 goals all season ffs, that’s genuinely embarrassing.

At our current rate of half a point a game, we will go down as one of the poorest sides to ever grace this division. Something has to change, and it has to change now. This arrogance about our situation within the club, and within certain parts of our fan base, needs to end. We are in a dire situation. We cannot keep pissing around with Rookie managers and Committees of coaches. McClaren entering the dressing room just makes an even bigger mockery of things.

We can’t afford to keep throwing games away whilst we wait for the takeover to happen. Every failed game takes us closer to relegation. We need a proper manager in, and we need one now. Mel Morris has got us into the mess, he needs to get us out of it. Feels like at the moment he’s given up and left us high and dry.

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

We aren't even half way through the season so I'm not sure we can talk about relegation yet. Half way through and we'll have a transfer window and hopefully new coaches/manager.

We aren't that far away from being an OK side, we just need proper structure to get us winning a couple on the bounce and we will all start to think about mid-table and not league one.

New owners this week and a new manager will be in place - I thought I could give Rooney a chance but we need experience and once we get it, a couple of wins and we'll be OK. 

Let's not even think of relegation 14 games into the season, let's get behind the club in these testing times and stick together. 

Do you really think we are getting relegated 14 games into the season. Come on, stay positive. 

Absolutely agree if we get the right manager. The fear is that the new owners will be blinded by the idea of Rooney the manager for the marketing potential rather than ability to do the job. This is no time to take chances on new or unproven managers - they have to get the next manager right or we will be fighting for our lives this season. 

Can’t see anything other than relegation until we can put chances away. We haven’t scored two in a match, have hardly scored in open play, lowest scoring team in England? Several must win matches and not won any of them. It’s a shame and we have played well in parts, we get punished for the odd defensive lapse every time it seems. Hopefully we can become more clinical and quickly. Today, we needed a second and I doubt Wycombe would have come back. We wasted 2 or 3 really good chances. 
Not all negative, we compete, have rarely looked out of it in any match apart from Blackburn and late on against Boro. 

42 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Honestly you must be Derby County’s no1 fan 

I mean you give TL a one then want to tie his boots together even though he made the goal today and played well  

Great 

I doubt I'm in the top 10000 as far as fans go.

Tom played a simple pass well, but still all told a simple pass for Colin, who did actually make the goal.

I greatly enjoyed his Di Canio-esq attempt at a volley too.

Just now, Rev said:

I doubt I'm in the top 10000 as far as fans go.

Tom played a simple pass well, but still all told a simple pass for Colin, who did actually make the goal.

I greatly enjoyed his Di Canio-esq attempt at a volley too.

That wasn’t great. 

But your piss taking mate. 

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

That wasn’t great. 

But your piss taking mate. 

I don't think I'm piss taking, well maybe a little, but perhaps it's a generational difference?

I often read from more experienced posters how bad Mick Coop was etc, and for me bang for buck Lawrence is the worst footballer I've seen for a long while, certainly for the last decade.

When such competition includes Blackman, Anya, and All Bent Toes Ah, that's quite the achievement.

He has sporadic moments of quality granted, but they are so few and far between I'm beginning to suspect they're the flukes, rather than his average.

1 hour ago, Shaftesbury st said:

But according to “ Curtains “ we have no divine right to beat Wycombe at home never mind the return game, looks like we are done then 

And it’s true. Nobody has a divine right to beat anybody. But today’s result and overall performance against a Wycombe side who are - let’s face it - are pretty poor, is a good barometer for how far we’ve declined and how poor we’ve become. And how much we have to do just to be able to compete enough to avoid the dreaded drop.

2 hours ago, wollatonram said:

People need to realise how many games are playing over the next month, if our form continues we could be adrift by Christmas. 

we need a manager and we need him in NOW. they will have zero time on the training ground until next year.

This whole thing stinks.. Give Rooney 2 winnable games and then the job. Keeps the fans quiet and removes the Rooney problem. The trouble with Mel Morris’s Derby County, is we don’t learn from mistakes. We get caught up in romantic decisions, Rooney / Lampard come in, create a dynasty and it’s all roses.. Morris swaggers around the Premier League boardrooms giving out coffee and Derby scarves. 
The time for the long shot punt is not now, we need experience.  I never thought I would ever type or think these words but Big Sam is needed. Jeezus what have we become. 

If we approach the situation that we're in at the moment as not one of deadly seriousness for the club we might as well look up league 1 grounds and plug in the satnavs right now. Yes, of course after 14 games we're not dead and buried but we are in a perilous situation. If we lose at home to Coventry that's 9 points behind 21st. A gap that is not easily recoverable. For every extra game that goes by with us not winning it makes it that much more difficult to get us out of the mess.

Maybe because we've spent 7 years looking at the top of the table we've deluded ourselves into thinking we cannot go down and we're too good. Maybe it's because we look at the clubs around us and assume because we're Derby county then of course we should and eventually will prevail. But this kind of mentality is exactly what got Sunderland, Leeds and numerous other big clubs relegated to the third tier. We're in deep trouble, that does not mean we are doomed but we need a big change if we are going to survive. 

23 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

This whole thing stinks.. Give Rooney 2 winnable games and then the job. Keeps the fans quiet and removes the Rooney problem. The trouble with Mel Morris’s Derby County, is we don’t learn from mistakes. We get caught up in romantic decisions, Rooney / Lampard come in, create a dynasty and it’s all roses.. Morris swaggers around the Premier League boardrooms giving out coffee and Derby scarves. 
The time for the long shot punt is not now, we need experience.  I never thought I would ever type or think these words but Big Sam is needed. Jeezus what have we become. 

It was all a vanity project for Mel , my worry is it will be the same for the new owner

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

If we approach the situation that we're in at the moment as not one of deadly seriousness for the club we might as well look up league 1 grounds and plug in the satnavs right now. Yes, of course after 14 games we're not dead and buried but we are in a perilous situation. If we lose at home to Coventry that's 9 points behind 21st. A gap that is not easily recoverable. For every extra game that goes by with us not winning it makes it that much more difficult to get us out of the mess.

Maybe because we've spent 7 years looking at the top of the table we've deluded ourselves into thinking we cannot go down and we're too good. Maybe it's because we look at the clubs around us and assume because we're Derby county then of course we should and eventually will prevail. But this kind of mentality is exactly what got Sunderland, Leeds and numerous other big clubs relegated to the third tier. We're in deep trouble, that does not mean we are doomed but we need a big change if we are going to survive. 

I think we have overrated the squad since Lampard got it in the playoffs, I think it was an amazing achievement by him to do that and past the loans he had we have a very bang average squad.

I also think since then we have lost the gritty nastiness we had under Rowett where senior professionals would see our games properly , that si the problem with a team full of kids they don’t know how to do that - and our senior crop have never been good enoufh

in your fave players like Bryson, Keogh & Russell who would wind up and get in the faces of the opponents, we just don’t have it anymore. Nobody comes out of a game against Derby and say oh that was tough or horrible

The team falls apart when they concede. There seems to be nobody on the pitch, or off it, that can do anything about that.

Until we do have somebody, we will continue to not win. Astonishingly, the club just hired someone but he has 'no input'. Who writes this stuff?

That's why all the talk of relegation is justified.

Archived