All this talk of relegation

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You mean getting rid of the deadwood? Gotta wait for it to grow!

The chances of there being any growing 'wood' watching Rooney's Rams are next to zero. Unfortunately, irrespective of tonight's result, it seems we'll be lumbered with a manger who has yet to even secure his coaching badges and seems to offer very little in the way or inspiration either on or off the field. 

11 hours ago, Rampage said:

Why were we so much better before Covid19. Ok we had a tough run in and we found out that we could not beat top six sides. We had to trim the losses so getting rid of higher earners and bringing in lower earners plus playing Academy players was unavoidable. On paper our players were good enough to be at least mid table. Turned out that our players did not gel and above all could not create chances or take them. Good players are not playing well. Uncertainty at the club does not help. We must have a manager with a one year rolling contract who has to produce to keep his job. Some managers would not accept that. We need a quick takeover and  improvement. It looks less likely than more likely.

I think it's a number of reasons and it's important to recognise that we start the post lockdown period well before fading. I also think (especially at this level) momentum and confidence are really key, a very ordinary team can go on long unbeaten streaks if their tails are up and the opposite is true in that a good team can have a string of back to back losses.

In the "good run" we had essentially figured out the first team and it was stable for a long period with only a couple minor changes here and there. Rooney and Bird gave us a midfield that could control and dictate a game and the introduction of Wisdom in the back 4 gave us pace and ability on the ball. From their we built up a decent momentum that was halted through a combination of various players being injured, squad depth and the lagging fitness in certain key players (Rooney in particular looked a shadow of himself a few games into that lockdown period because he was knackered without replacement). 

And the opposite of what lead to that good run is what happened at the start of this season. Started out with a lot key players injured/unavailable, frequent chopping and changing of line ups or even completely upheaval in terms of tactics has meant there has been a lack of continuity and stability and then when players began returning we already had a substantial amount of negative momentum which can be hard to overcome. I also think we've failed to acknowledge that Rooney was no longer performing at a level that came close to  warranting the amount we were trying to tactically squeeze him into the side.

If we lose tonight the best chance we have of staying up is other clubs going bust. 

If Covid has another wave in her then it's not out the question, so depending on the result tonight go out and touch as many doors and cough on as many people as possible. 

I can't do this alone, but as one of the larger fanbases in the league - we could stop Derby getting relegated. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

If we lose tonight the best chance we have of staying up is other clubs going bust. 

If Covid has another wave in her then it's not out the question, so depending on the result tonight go out and touch as many doors and cough on as many people as possible. 

I can't do this alone, but as one of the larger fanbases in the league - we could stop Derby getting relegated. 

Yep must not lose Ambitious.  As for the offer, you can lead by example!?

just had a quick look at the past league tables and it don't look good.  I think this is right.  In the past 3 years only 3 clubs have been in a similar position and got away with it.

After 14 games

Stoke in 2019/20 - 8 pts

Hull in 2018/19 - 9 pts

Bolton in 2017/18 7 points.  It is worth looking at their results because they were no means promotion material. 

So there is hope however faint and diminishing.  Needs to be 3 other clubs  with a terrible record where we at least get 2 points or like you say other clubs going bust.  Duck me it is desperate

Just now, Spanish said:

Yep must not lose Ambitious.  As for the offer, you can lead by example!?

just had a quick look at the past league tables and it don't look good.  I think this is right.  In the past 3 years only 3 clubs have been in a similar position and got away with it.

After 14 games

Stoke in 2019/20 - 8 pts

Hull in 2018/19 - 9 pts

Bolton in 2017/18 7 points.  It is worth looking at their results because they were no means promotion material. 

So there is hope however faint and diminishing.  Needs to be 3 other clubs  with a terrible record where we at least get 2 points or like you say other clubs going bust.  Duck me it is desperate

just to add it is strange you can't win the league by Xmas but you can certainly be relegated by then

14 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

Well just let this sink in guys...with almost a third of the season gone..we've scored only one counting goal from open play.I repeat..One counting goal from open play.Its an absolute disaster of a season and given the current situation off the field it's really difficult to see sudden change in our fortunes.A shocking state of affairs.Ive been watching Derby County since 1967 and this lot is easily the worst I've seen in all those decades.Our only hope in my opinion is to clear out the ridiculous committee of first team coaches and appoint Darren Wassall( who I thought did pretty well last time playing good attacking football and got us into the play offs) with Mac alongside which hopefully get us a few wins before the January transfer window opens when we can get in a few bodies to help us rise up the table.Make no mistake drastic measures are needed.

I mean, don’t let actual FACTS get in the way of a good rant... 1 goal from open play...? You have been listening to that smug child on Radio Derby too much.... obviously we aren’t counting the goal Marriott scored or the one Shinnie got just Holmes from the weekend... I admit, 3 goals from open play all season isn’t any good either, but don’t listen to that turd on the radio.. 

No chance of us going down - our squad is too good.

Imagine Ibe in that team today, he'd have ripped them a new one.

Bielik controlling midfield.

Davies if he can stay fit is the best defender we have. 

We can definitely be out of the relegation places by the time 2021 arrives. About time we can enjoy a Saturday night with a few beers though.

Enjoy fellow Rams. 

Archived