Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

There’s a good piece on where ‘the takeover’ stands by Matt Slater in The Athletic, this morning.

Worth a read if you’re a subscriber.

Lol. Lots of bet-hedging going on! Does it tell us what happened to The Sheik who is apparently having (transfer) input without having any money?!!

53 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

There’s a good piece on where ‘the takeover’ stands by Matt Slater in The Athletic, this morning.

Doesn't say much at all.

It effectively dismisses the Socfin document as untrue, but then goes on to quote figures from it.

Then it says 'Simply put, The Athletic has not spoken to a single accountant, agent, banker, broker, football finance expert, former investor or potential investor who still thinks BZI will complete this deal.' Seems fair enough, but the reality of the situation is that none of those people will have any idea of the actual situation, so they are effectively just guessing.

The reality is that no one outside of the inner circle of Mel and BZI have a clue what's going on and it's even possible that Mel is pretty much in the dark as to what will eventually happen.

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

A long, well written piece that doesn’t reveal anything new. The Athletic think it won’t happen, no new facts or information to base it on. Everyone is still in the dark. 

21 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Doesn't say much at all.

It effectively dismisses the Socfin document as untrue, but then goes on to quote figures from it.

Then it says 'Simply put, The Athletic has not spoken to a single accountant, agent, banker, broker, football finance expert, former investor or potential investor who still thinks BZI will complete this deal.' Seems fair enough, but the reality of the situation is that none of those people will have any idea of the actual situation, so they are effectively just guessing.

The reality is that no one outside of the inner circle of Mel and BZI have a clue what's going on and it's even possible that Mel is pretty much in the dark as to what will eventually happen.

Precisely - I'll re-word that sentence for them:- "Simply put, The Athletic has not spoken to a single accountant, agent, banker, broker, football finance expert, former investor or potential investor. We did speak to Kieran Maguire, a teacher who, as we all know, doesn't know his backside from his elbow"

I think one thing we can all agree on: this has been without question the most unenjoyable season I have ever had supporting Derby. Unable to go to games, a transfer saga, on-going legal battles with the EFL and now a team that's made up on mostly loans as we try and secure our second division place. 

I think back to 05/06 which was cemented in my mind as something that could not be beaten. An average team, consisting of awful loan signings, under an ownership that was destroying the club. We finished 20th that season with Terry Westley doing a decent job in steadying the ship. In hindsight, it was arguably worse but at least we could go to games. The protests throughout the season made for some entertainment too. 

It's definitely up for debate. 

One interesting thing I took from that article was that they seem to think Mel is waiting for an exclusivity agreement with BZI to end before he can find another buyer.

Fair to speculate that the Stephen Pearce mini PR tour was less about keeping the fans at bay and more about keeping up the charade so that players wouldn’t flat out refuse to come here in January, like the Pritchard situation.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

One interesting thing I took from that article was that they seem to think Mel is waiting for an exclusivity agreement with BZI to end before he can find another buyer.

That's part of the problem I have with the article, it's littered with suppositions and hypotheses - What it says regarding exclusivity is "The takeover is between him and BZI for as long as any exclusivity agreement he has signed with BZI lasts". As I said, that is a simply a hypothesis.

4 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

That's part of the problem I have with the article, it's littered with suppositions and hypotheses - What it says regarding exclusivity is "The takeover is between him and BZI for as long as any exclusivity agreement he has signed with BZI lasts". As I said, that is a simply a hypothesis.

Even if such an exclusivity agreement existed, you would hope that there's a clause that means that the buyer actually produces the necessary funds, preferably within a specific time frame, or the agreement lapses. Otherwise, if a buyer has an exclusivity agreement but insufficient funds to move the purchase forward the club is left in limbo and unable to pursue alternative deals.

Remember the story of the Sheikh with a similar name to our Sheikh buying an Israeli club?

It turns out he's not quite as wealthy as they thought. 

Of course that doesn't mean that our guy is faking it, but I'm bored so I thought I'd post it anyway.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/report-emirati-co-owner-of-beitar-jlem-feared-to-have-overstated-his-wealth/

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I think one thing we can all agree on: this has been without question the most unenjoyable season I have ever had supporting Derby. Unable to go to games, a transfer saga, on-going legal battles with the EFL and now a team that's made up on mostly loans as we try and secure our second division place. 

I think back to 05/06 which was cemented in my mind as something that could not be beaten. An average team, consisting of awful loan signings, under an ownership that was destroying the club. We finished 20th that season with Terry Westley doing a decent job in steadying the ship. In hindsight, it was arguably worse but at least we could go to games. The protests throughout the season made for some entertainment too. 

I don't agree.  I miss going more than anything but at least I've had Rams TV - in fact I've watched us play live more than in any other season in 60 years or so - and the hope of going back next season.  Off the pitch stuff may get frustrating at times but it's off the pitch and nowhere near as toxic as Maxwell and the 3 amigos or as disappointing as Brian going (and then nearly coming back) or as close to extinction as the High Court (though that may yet happen).  And we have the basis of a good team, some youngsters coming through, what appears to be a pretty good team spirit, an interesting managerial team that appears to be committed and one that has certainly had an impact.

2007/08 was far, far worse for me.  Dispiriting on and off the pitch.  The only interest in going was to watch the different ways we invented to lose games, no commitment to anything even each other, no team, no spirit, no effort.  And Andy Todd's comments, truthful though they may be, still make me angry about everyone involved in that campaign from the Scottish nerk onwards, with the possible and honourable exception of Darren Moore.

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Surely 07-08 were worse. We still have something to play for in February whereas we were about down already. 83-84 was pretty bad too. Only Bobby Davison a glimmer of hope. 

5 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

This may be right, judging from the way it is all dragging on. If it’s true, then Mel needs to find some new lawyers. Seems very careless that he can start discussions in May, sign heads of terms in November, and still be bound by exclusivity in Feb despite the Sheikh saying he’d close in Dec and failing to do so. 
Quite possible however that the Athletic have got it wrong ... 

15 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Also on The Athletic today is an article pondering on the UK holding this summer's Euro's.

It suggests one group will divide games between Old Trafford and Pride Park, seeing as the King Power needs a new pitch in the summer. 

I'm guessing research isn't their strong point.

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

Also on The Athletic today is an article pondering on the UK holding this summer's Euro's.

It suggests one group will divide games between Old Trafford and Pride Park, seeing as the King Power needs a new pitch in the summer. 

I'm guessing research isn't their strong point.

Depends if they mean UEFA's European football tournament or Euro Offroad Tractor Racing

Archived