Abu Derby County

tinman

Putting all of the noise about "do they or dont they have the money" for one moment, I just can't fathom why anyone would be buying a football club at this point.

Unless a club is available so cheaply that it's too good to turn down, why would any sane business man look at a club and think "yep, that looks like a solid investment" when almost everything about a football club (especially one like Derby) points to you losing money hand over fist?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Putting all of the noise about "do they or dont they have the money" for one moment, I just can't fathom why anyone would be buying a football club at this point.

Unless a club is available so cheaply that it's too good to turn down, why would any sane business man look at a club and think "yep, that looks like a solid investment" when almost everything about a football club (especially one like Derby) points to you losing money hand over fist?

Because buying a football club isn't an investment - it's a hobby! ?

COVID’s kicked this right in the swingers. Too much uncertainty. No idea when revenue streams will be back to normal. We have a vaccine but now there are question marks over the effectiveness of that against the South African strain. As more become infected more mutations develop and more variation of vaccines may be needed. I can’t see thousands of people allowed to congregate for at least 6 months.

I think the will was there from BHZ but but they saw the November lockdown benefits were blown away in no time, the virus is out of control. They are getting cold feet, in fact they would be crazy to carry on. Why would you when you can wait and see and buy many another club that will be on its knees, for peanuts in a few months when the outlook is more clear.

I reckon if there's no news by Thursday pm, the deal will be pulled as Mel will have to pay the players himself and he'll have concluded that no money gets lost in transit this long. 

So if I'm right, we should know in a little over 48 hours...

13 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

think the will was there from BHZ but but they saw the November lockdown benefits were blown away in no time, the virus is out of control. They are getting cold feet, in fact they would be crazy to carry on. Why would you when you can wait and see and buy many another club that will be on its knees, for peanuts

These guys are looking at a long term investment. I think they’ll see covid as a short term issue that allowed them to get a bargain. 

13 hours ago, TomG said:

How many more excuses are we expected to tolerate?

Please humour me by explaining how this actually affects you personally so much so that your tolerance is stretching. Not having a go, but just feel as a mere supporter, your entitlement to information is realistically non-existent, as should your reaction be. These things have no real impact on us. 

16 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Why ? 

Because if it doesn't go through then we are stuck with mel who for all he has tried it just hasn't worked and he's obviously trying to get out which I dont blame him for, and if we do have the takeover there is so much uncertainty with how financially stable the potential new owner is and how much money he can afford to lose in this current climate where most clubs are losing money hand over fist , obviously I want us to be successful whichever happens but its easy to be pessimistic currently 

1 hour ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

Because buying a football club isn't an investment - it's a hobby! ?

True and I suspect for some a bit of an ego trip. If you have the 12 million or so per year that it costs to keep an average championship club running then I am sure it’s great fun 

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

We still don’t even know who the day to say decision maker will be with this new (potential) investment.

So many open questions, so little information to go on, taking so long now. The uncertainty isn’t good.

Nothing will be helpful for Rooney either. I mean - if he did have an interview recently, who actually interviewed him?

Could it be that Rooney knows more than us and maybe it's not so unsettling for him as it is for us fans?

For a start, I'd like to think that if has had an interview then HE knows who he was actually interviewed by and what position of authority that person/panel had. 

6 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Hope its soon so this thread shuts ??

The thing is, it won't shut. At best it will simply be retitled and we'll be debating:

"What will Mel do now the deal has fallen through?"

"When are the new owners going to put their hands in their pockets?"

20 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Because if it doesn't go through then we are stuck with mel who for all he has tried it just hasn't worked and he's obviously trying to get out which I dont blame him for, and if we do have the takeover there is so much uncertainty with how financially stable the potential new owner is and how much money he can afford to lose in this current climate where most clubs are losing money hand over fist , obviously I want us to be successful whichever happens but its easy to be pessimistic currently 

so far as the takeover goes, you can be encouraged that we are being sold by a supporter who continues to want success for the club

Archived