Abu Derby County

tinman

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Or it's coming out of his head with anger.

It will be if the money doesnt appear today.

Thing is though, I refuse to believe BZG would engage in months and months of talks, zoom meetings etc etc to then just not pay up at the 11th hour, it would make no sense.  It would surely damage their reputation in the business world no end.

Rooney even said the other day that he has given his list of targets to the 'owners' and it is up to them to get his players.

Everything points to the deal being done, it's just a case of when it is actually going to be done.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Thing is though, I refuse to believe BZG would engage in months and months of talks, zoom meetings etc etc to then just not pay up at the 11th hour, it would make no sense.  

Eddie Hearn suggested that every time he’s tried to take boxing out to the Middle East, those financing it were keen as mustard, months of meetings, dinners, promising the biggest shows in the world etc. 

until it came time to pay up, then the money never arrived, every single time bar the latest occasion. 

im not suggesting for a second this is what’s happening with Derby, but it does happen 

3 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Eddie Hearn suggested that every time he’s tried to take boxing out to the Middle East, those financing it were keen as mustard, months of meetings, dinners, promising the biggest shows in the world etc. 

until it came time to pay up, then the money never arrived, every single time bar the latest occasion. 

im not suggesting for a second this is what’s happening with Derby, but it does happen 

Could it be a 'perception is reality' thing in some social circles? Perhaps the seemingly wealthy business types being referenced here go through these processes to make it appear like they are the types of people to be hosting sporting events, or buying football clubs and it's all in fact a game of smoke and mirrors?

I doubt this is unique to places like Abu Dhabi either. I'd imagine there are tech entrepreneurs in the US and Europe that go through this with start ups but never come up with the goods. 

Either that, or I have just invented this set of circumstances in my head. Who knows?

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Could it be a 'perception is reality' thing in some social circles? Perhaps the seemingly wealthy business types being referenced here go through these processes to make it appear like they are the types of people to be hosting sporting events, or buying football clubs and it's all in fact a game of smoke and mirrors?

I doubt this is unique to places like Abu Dhabi either. I'd imagine there are tech entrepreneurs in the US and Europe that go through this with start ups but never come up with the goods. 

Either that, or I have just invented this set of circumstances in my head. Who know?

I think that makes sense, in essence it’s a level of posturing and “look how much money we have to buy these things” 

until of course, they actually have to pay for it 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Either that, or I have just invented this set of circumstances in my head. Who knows?

exactly my experience.  When you start out in this type of business it is all very exciting and very plausible.  Soon it becomes apparent that all is not what it seems.  I stand by my go to position where I channel my inner jerry Maguire

200.gif

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You may be right although I’m not sure why they would want to go through this process unless they’re bored and really do see it as a big game. If they don’t have/can’t raise the money the transaction is never going to be completed so why would they go from one club to another but never completing?

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

See, wait, and, spring to mind for me before going into meltdown. If it doesn’t complete this week, given the issue with the wages, then I’ll start to really worry. Until then, I’ll remain (very) cautiously optimistic.

The circumstances of the takeover reminds me of Michael Knighton's attempt to buy Man Utd. 

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You may be right although I’m not sure why they would want to go through this process unless they’re bored and really do see it as a big game. If they don’t have/can’t raise the money the transaction is never going to be completed so why would they go from one club to another but never completing?

Maybe they like the free merch, club pens, rubbers, drinks bottles etc?

It could be Shiekh Khaleds thing.

2 minutes ago, Sunny singh cheema said:

Surely Mel Morris being a shrewd business man made all his money surely he could have seen the wool pulled over his over his eyes by the shieks 

I would think /hope the same as a complete financial know-nothing... 

But having read this forum I am aware other people will point to issues with Sam Rush/contracts, Ince family, EFL charges, Gabay last year....no idea of the factual reality myself but others have pointed out he hasnt seemingly always had a total grasp of what other parties have intended during financial dealings. 

Does anyone remember a fly on the wall TV program about a posh hotel in London from about 5years ago?

A complete family from the middle east pitched-up every year and took up the whole top floor for about 3 months every summer. The luggage arrived in a 7.5 tonne truck!

The hotel manager said he normally didn't get them to pay their bill in full until just before they were due back the following year and it was something like £30,000 a day!

Some types don't give a duck.

It's like some sort of "power" trip.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Thing is though, I refuse to believe BZG would engage in months and months of talks, zoom meetings etc etc to then just not pay up at the 11th hour, it would make no sense.  It would surely damage their reputation in the business world no end

That's why you choose your targets carefully, you can shift the blame to the other party and as long as the full details never come out you don't lose face - there's plenty of people who won't judge them regarding an unpaid £500,000 lawyers bill until they know the full details, for example.

When the Newcastle takeover collapsed (with no official statements from either side), their reputation could be upheld by the fact they were dealing with Mike Ashley, regarded as a complete ******* by a fair few people in both the sports & business worlds , hated by 99% of their fanbase (some genuinely wish him dead just to be rid of him), a prior history of talking up his desire to sell the club & nothing happening.

How much is known in Abu Dhabi about Derby County? They'll mostly have just seen headlines around us not paying wages (the first time), cases against us by the EFL etc but these won't be followed closely, or fairly. The wider opinion of Mel Morris in the football circles (not a clue about business circles) has taken a few hits in the past couple of years, we've also had a failed takeover, so they could use that as leverage in upholding their reputation back home.

I'm not trying to equivalate Mel Morris to Mike Ashley btw, If this takeover collapses they'd have a far harder job not to sully their reputation, that might be it for them in the UK, and one thing we do know is that if MM feels wronged by someone there's a chance of a club statement completely eviscerating the other party, so if they're full of poo they may not get away with it!

Archived