Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

How they can bring race or even a piece of paper “coaching badge” into Rosenior vs Rooney is mind boggling.

Picture this young 16 year old wonder kid Billy is coming through the ranks at Peterborough, Derby decide they’d like to sign him, so his agent calls.

Scenario a - “Billy, Liam Rosenior would like you at Derby are you interested?” Who’s that” replies Billy “I’ve never heard of him”. “It’s that nice bloke off sky sports news speaks well knows the championship inside out apparently”, “no thanks” says Billy “I’ll hold out for a something else”.

Scenario b - “Billy, Wayne Rooney would like you at Derby are you interested”. “No way really!? THE Wayne Rooney that I’ve grew up watching, one of the best strikers of our generation, somehow pulled Colleen puts it about the retirement homes and she still stays with him, that Wayne Rooney? My hero, my idol!” “That’s him Billy so are you going to sign?” “No thanks I’ll go to Brentford instead”.

Its a slow day at work today if you’re wondering! 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we gave it to Rooney I think I'd genuinely have to consider having a break from Derby. I know that sounds extreme.

I would just see that as the final straw in terms of making decisions that are in the benefit of the club's profile, as opposed to for the benefit of the state of our football.

Giving a bloke who arguably should still be on the pitch, and who has no coaching badges, the job would be so unbelievably opposite to what we need at the moment, that I'd have to just consider that a decision that is not in the best interests of the club...other than for commercial reasons.

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

Rooney wouldn't be my first choice to take over but writing him off & saying he isn't qualified for the job is a bit harsh 

What makes him qualified ?‍♂️ UEFA A license ?‍♂️ its a coaching badge. He can bring coaches to coach & he can manage. The manager of our local non league club has a UEFA A. Does that make them more suited to the job than Rooney ?‍♂️ im not having it that the coaching badges mean too much when you have played at Rooney's level & are more of a formality. 

He has played under arguably the best manager ever & some of the best coaches. Appreciate that so have other former players & some have suceeded & some have failed so it doesn't matter. 

Not sure what makes him a bad candidate. Is it the constantly saying urm in interviews or that the media have made him seem a bit 'thick'.

Thing is he has been in football all his life and understands the industry. Football wise he's probably very intelligent & in other normal working industries he probably wouldn't be. Thing is im not bothered if the media think he's thick he doesn't need a degree & to be good at their job he just needs to be good at his job. Or if reports are to be believed phillip cocu's job 

It's not just a football coaching qualification.

There's a whole lot more, including strategic and critical thinking, decision-making skills etc etc

15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's not just a football coaching qualification.

There's a whole lot more, including strategic and critical thinking, decision-making skills etc etc

People think Rooney is think based on his media presentation only.

The reality is we've no real idea if he's got what it takes to be a successful manager.

But it doesn't seem like you'd look at all the options and decide "yes, Wayne is the best person to manage the team at this point in time"

7 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I suspect that the cheap option would be Gary Bowyer. Cocu and his coaches could be put on gardening leave. Bowyer could step up for the rest of the season (maybe double his current wages) with Given and Rosnier assisting.

Rooney would, I imagine, want a new contract and several new coaches. 

Promoting Wassall is also a cheap option, but that would be more disruption to youngsters, so I'd say Bowyer is the best bet if money is really tight.

You could argue exactly what Rosinier brings to the table 

I think we are through the eye of the storm now. There’s surely nothing else the media can throw at Phil.

he’s got virtually everyone back.

results and performances should pick up.

24 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think we are through the eye of the storm now. There’s surely nothing else the media can throw at Phil.

he’s got virtually everyone back.

results and performances should pick up.

You just had to say it. 

We all thought the same about Jewell.

image.png.fa0d6fde89665d8e9bf10ef34869abf3.png

7 hours ago, ossieram said:

And these articles are written purely for gullible people like you. There doesn't have to be smoke for these journalists to come up with their crap. Just enough people dumb enough to believe it long enough to click on or spread the story so the advertisers are happy. 

Not gullible at all. There’s as much chance of it being correct as there is it being rubbish. 
Tell you something though - if it is true you will be dumberer than me. If you don’t like my opinion, then feel free to not respond and refrain from your childish comments. 

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

How they can bring race or even a piece of paper “coaching badge” into Rosenior vs Rooney is mind boggling.

Picture this young 16 year old wonder kid Billy is coming through the ranks at Peterborough, Derby decide they’d like to sign him, so his agent calls.

Scenario a - “Billy, Liam Rosenior would like you at Derby are you interested?” Who’s that” replies Billy “I’ve never heard of him”. “It’s that nice bloke off sky sports news speaks well knows the championship inside out apparently”, “no thanks” says Billy “I’ll hold out for a something else”.

Scenario b - “Billy, Wayne Rooney would like you at Derby are you interested”. “No way really!? THE Wayne Rooney that I’ve grew up watching, one of the best strikers of our generation, somehow pulled Colleen puts it about the retirement homes and she still stays with him, that Wayne Rooney? My hero, my idol!” “That’s him Billy so are you going to sign?” “No thanks I’ll go to Brentford instead”.

Its a slow day at work today if you’re wondering! 

Firstly, I do understand the point you make.

The issue could be (appointing Rooney ahead of Rosenior without there being a VERY robust selection process that would withstand potential legal scrutiny), a claim of race discrimination against Derby.

The thing is about such a claim is that the burden of proof would be on Derby to prove that Rooney was the better candidate than Liam -there’s a potential problem as he is not as qualified, which is an absolute requirement in managing at that level.

Worth noting that there is no ceiling (£) in terms of race discrimination claim payouts. 

On the no smoke without fire, 

Chinese whispers, things missing context, a story a journalist is determined to manufacture, very bad results, conversations probably do take place - but probably a 3rd hand account down the line....

It'd be unusual if Cocu wasn't under pressure or being looked at because the game doesn't usually tolerate results like we've had for very long. 

Without being on the inside, we don't really know enough to dismiss it, or to believe it as written in the daily mail...

10 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

Firstly, I do understand the point you make.

The issue could be (appointing Rooney ahead of Rosenior without there being a VERY robust selection process that would withstand potential legal scrutiny), a claim of race discrimination against Derby.

The thing is about such a claim is that the burden of proof would be on Derby to prove that Rooney was the better candidate than Liam -there’s a potential problem as he is not as qualified, which is an absolute requirement in managing at that level.

Worth noting that there is no ceiling (£) in terms of race discrimination claim payouts. 

Assuming of course Rosenior applied for the job (of course in any sane world, he would want the opportunity and put himself forward) and the requirements weren't drawn up in such a way (media presence, potential sponsorship potential) that the only candidate could be Rooney- This isn't a DCFC comment so much as a generalisation, that businesses are very good at hiring the person they want to hire for high profile positions rather than selecting the best applicant and if it takes specifying some cunning things or other weaselly way of doing it whilst appearing to have a legitimate selection process they do. I do really get the point about discrimination, I really do - it goes on, it's insidious, subtle, unspoken but ever present in a lot of organisations. 

FWIW personally I'd much rather give Rosenior the job if we do boot Cocu, he seems to be well liked in the game as a coach with the potential to become a manager, conducts himself with class and integrity, his media appearances show him to be articulate and thoughtful as a pundit and a far more logical step to have him than to give it Mr Potato head.

But giving it Wayne Rooney seems inevitable, and it's not based on discrimination against Rosenior, it's because he's Wayne Rooney and Mel likes the club having a high profile. It's just another distasteful angle to the saga.

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

If we gave it to Rooney I think I'd genuinely have to consider having a break from Derby. I know that sounds extreme.

I would just see that as the final straw in terms of making decisions that are in the benefit of the club's profile, as opposed to for the benefit of the state of our football.

Giving a bloke who arguably should still be on the pitch, and who has no coaching badges, the job would be so unbelievably opposite to what we need at the moment, that I'd have to just consider that a decision that is not in the best interests of the club...other than for commercial reasons.

I'd agree. 

For me personally as well I'll be done for a while if Cocu gets sacked and we give to one of the usual suspects of championship "pragmatism".

Archived