Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

If he does go (and I hope he doesn't) there should be a proper interview process and the right candidate selected. 

I just don't see how Rooney would get the job in that situation. 

Interim manager? On trial for review or whatever the euphemism is.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ossieram said:

It always amazes me how many Derby fans are so quick to suck up this crap and accept it as being true or even partially true, yet the same people would laugh off anything written that is positive about the club.

But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised when you have Derby fans hoping Marriott scores loads of goals for Sheff Wed just to prove Derby are wrong.

That would be me.

I do hope Marriott scores loads of goals for Sheff Wednesday and prove we as a club (or managers of the club) are the problems and not him, 33 goals he scored for Posh, the highest goal scorer in England at the time, comes to Derby and his career takes a nose dive.

We seem to have this thing where good players come to us and for some reason they struggle, Jozefzoon was well liked at Brentford, comes here and we think he is a clown, Albentosa was highly rated in Spain, comes here and we think he is a donkey, Butterfield was regarded as one of the best ever Huddersfield players before coming to us, he plays for Derby and we think he is awful, Dutch Mike seems like he is suffering from the same, I could go on. I firmly believe Marriott is a good player and a great finisher, I hope he proves that at Wednesday. 

I also hope Chris Martin scores 20 goals for Bristol City, scores 2 hat tricks against Derby and gets promoted to the Premier League like the great striker he is.

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

You're right in a way but would you take someone on as manager at work with no proven track record? 

The seeds of recovery are showing and it's amazing how a win can boost confidence and get players back in form. 

If we lose tonight then there will be a greater clamour for Cocu to go. 

We all have high regard for our players and questions would be asked as to how we have lost so many games. 

If he does go (and I hope he doesn't) there should be a proper interview process and the right candidate selected. 

I just don't see how Rooney would get the job in that situation. 

This is Derby County and Mel Morris remember.  We are in the twilight zone.  Nothing is as it seems.  Therefore don't rule out Rooney getting the job.

1 minute ago, DC-1975 said:

I didn't know that. I knew the Clough family didn't like it, but wasn't aware he got sued.

Wasn't the book written as fiction based around fact though?

Yes Barbara Clough particularly disliked the portrayal of her husband in the book but didn't go as far as Johnny Giles and suing the author.

It's classified as a biographical novel.  Even though the get out could have been exactly like you say it's fiction based around fact if the portrayal of a character is just untrue related to real life or defamatory then they can and will have every right to sue the author and win.

The author does reference certain books and articles in the bibliography however it's the bits effectively he interpreted himself which got him into problems.

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8869479/Phillip-Cocus-exit-Derby-imminent-Wayne-Rooney-taking-Pride-Park.html

Another example of the media unashamedly trying to destabilise the club again less than 24 hours before a game.

Classless beyond belief.

Should we win tomorrow night, I hope Cocu does a full lap of the stadium with a finger over his lips silencing those crummy media types in attendance.

He may not be doing the best of jobs, but he doesn’t deserve this.

I am absolutely certain Matt Hughes was bullied heavily by a Derby fan as a child. 

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That would be me.

I do hope Marriott scores loads of goals for Sheff Wednesday and prove we as a club (or managers of the club) are the problems and not him, 33 goals he scored for Posh, the highest goal scorer in England at the time, comes to Derby and his career takes a nose dive.

We seem to have this thing where good players come to us and for some reason they struggle, Jozefzoon was well liked at Brentford, comes here and we think he is a clown, Albentosa was highly rated in Spain, comes here and we think he is a donkey, Butterfield was regarded as one of the best ever Huddersfield players before coming to us, he plays for Derby and we think he is awful, Dutch Mike seems like he is suffering from the same, I could go on. I firmly believe Marriott is a good player and a great finisher, I hope he proves that at Wednesday. 

I also hope Chris Martin scores 20 goals for Bristol City, scores 2 hat tricks against Derby and gets promoted to the Premier League like the great striker he is.

Wierd!

I'm a Derby fan and although I know for a fact that not everything done by the club is right and perfect, I'd much rather see us winning the league and bagging a ton of goals than a rival club.

36 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Playing devils advocate here BUT interested as to why everyone thinks Rooney would make a bad manager? Is it his awkward interviews?

I'm not sure he would. There's a good chance he'd fail because lots of first time managers do. Rooney probably has a greater chance of success than most rookies because of his experience of great coaches and he'll almost certainly have good people around him.

I have three objections.

Firstly, I don't think that this is a job for a rookie. We have a lot of issues which an experienced manager will imo, find easier to sort than someone learning the ropes. 

Secondly, if he did succeed in even a limited way, he'd be off, leaving us in turmoil again.

Thirdly, I hate the pantomime. I hated it under Lampard and it'd be worse under Rooney. I hate this club being a sideshow to Wayne Rooney.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Tommy Docherty was seen a good appointment at the time

Oh right, before my time as my first Rams manager was King Arthur, I must have confused The Doc's unpopularity as time transpired for permanent unpopularity!

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You say that like the suggestion of Gary Bowyer was a poor one.

He has managed 3 clubs, including Blackburn.

He wouldn't be mine or your choice, but we literally have a manager sat amongst our coaching staff, it isnt a far fetched suggestion.

Maybe not far fetched but in my opinion a poor one...

28 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Wierd!

I'm a Derby fan and although I know for a fact that not everything done by the club is right and perfect, I'd much rather see us winning the league and bagging a ton of goals than a rival club.

But Chris Martin scoring 20 goals in a season and 2 hat tricks against us and Marriott bagging loads for Sheff Wednesday wouldn't stop us winning the league and scoring a ton of goals. Clearly I jest about Martin scoring against us.

The fact we let Martin and Marriott go without adequate replacements could...it isnt about me wanting a club to get promoted over us, it's the fact that we killed any chance of achieving promotion at the end of that window and both Marriott and Martin, being the excellent players they are, may as well go and have success elsewhere, at least it will justify why I was so angry on transfer deadline day where I wasted a whole God damn day (not to mention the whole week on holiday) constantly refreshing my phone waiting for announcements. Unlike the Murphys, I'm very very bitter.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You say that like the suggestion of Gary Bowyer was a poor one.

He has managed 3 clubs, including Blackburn.

He wouldn't be mine or your choice, but we literally have a manager sat amongst our coaching staff, it isnt a far fetched suggestion.

Yeah if we're going the internal route I agree Bowyer would be the man (and he was at Forest under BC) 

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It’s inevitable, so it’s an easy story to write. However, the tidbit about Rooney sounding out coaches already isn’t good to see. We obviously don’t know how true it is, could be baalocks, but if there is anything in it then it doesn’t sit right with me.  

As he has aspirations to be a manager, I'd expect him to be continually looking around for people to join his potential coaching staff.

9 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Wasn't this the mail journalist who was absolutly sure we were going to be rinsed by the efl and deducted many points?

I think so. He's the reason Mr Popodopolous made a mess in his pants (and not the brown variety)

The story seems to come out of Moor farm. The actions of MM are summised and may not be fact. 
The nearest clue we get to the source of the story is that WR has spoken to senior players and Senior staff at moor farm are referenced.

The whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth and shows yet again the pressures that the manager has to work under.
the sooner we start picking up points the better.

Archived