Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

until Rooney's Derby County win five on the spin!

It's a fair thing to throw back and with the players we have coming back it's not out of the realms of possibility. But personally I think it's unlikely and it wouldn't matter to me if it came at the cost of throwing everything away that we've been working on (I.e. academy coming through). 

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

It's a fair thing to throw back and with the players we have coming back it's not out of the realms of possibility. But personally I think it's unlikely and it wouldn't matter to me if it came at the cost of throwing everything away that we've been working on (I.e. academy coming through). 

not arguing with you per-se, but why do you think a change is equal to throwing everything away? Why would academy players coming through for instance, as you mentioned it, be affected by Cocu being sacked and Rooney, or anyone else for that matter, being appointed? 

Nothing in the story other than what we already know.

There's nothing to suggest its true. Other than what's palpably clear to any one of us...ie results aren't great and Rooney has said he wants to go into management. 

Anyone could make this poo up. Its easy. It could of course happen, but only because we can all see the possible narrative. 

Totally free shot of a story.... If it comes true then they have a scoop. If it doesn't, then either results have turned so they say 'Cocu is safe for now...Rooney waiting in the wings' with the possible regurgitation in a few months time, with them referencing their own made up story. 

Or the job goes to someone else and 'After talks Rooney decides he wants to carry on playing and pledges his allegiance to...' and they move on as if they knew the truth all along. 

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

not arguing with you per-se, but why do you think a change is equal to throwing everything away? Why would academy players coming through for instance, as you mentioned it, be affected by Cocu being sacked and Rooney, or anyone else for that matter, being appointed? 

Personally I think Academy players are more likely to be affected by the first team doing poorly, than by a change of manager.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

I don't think a change necessarily means that and that's not really what I meant the message, more an if it did. 

However I think, Rooney aside ( I'll come back to him down below), its pretty likely based on past experience we've had with managers and what your typical manager is like at this level that we see a huge lurch in overall outlook to something significantly more short term.

Basically I don't think your average manager gives academy players the time of day unless they are absolutely forced to or the player is unbelievable. And they certainly don't typically have the temperament to help develop such players.

I just have a gut feeling that it would be likely the likes of Bird, Sibley, Whittaker, Buchanan and Knight are binned back to the U23s. Especially after said manager had a window to bring in some "experience".

Rooney is a bit different, in that it's impossible to know his exact outlook and to be honest he would be something like the continuity candidate. It'd be a toss for me whether he'd stick with that ethos. On the one hand you have his comments raving about the likes of Bird but on the other does he have the temperament to stick with their ups and downs especially as he is likely looking to quickly bolster his credentials as a manager.

I'd rather not have Rooney for different reasons; complete lack of experience, player managers are an awful idea, a player immediately becoming manager isn't much better (too close to the squad), if he does well he likely jumps ship quickly and if he does poorly we likely can't pay him off. It just smacks of farce.

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Personally I think Academy players are more likely to be affected by the first team doing poorly, than by a change of manager.

I have to say I think you are very, very wrong there. 

The manager has a massive impact and there are an overwhelming amount of managers who wouldn't give a lot of academy players the time of day.

16 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I have to say I think you are very, very wrong there. 

The manager has a massive impact and there are an overwhelming amount of managers who wouldn't give a lot of academy players the time of day.

Well there's also plenty who will give good youngsters the time of day. So I think you are very, very wrong.

Afterall Lampard brought Bogle through and sent Lowe to improve at Aberdeen. So far all Cocu has done is sell those two. If we don't win some games the rest of our decent youngsters will be picked off for peanuts!

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well there's also plenty who will give good youngsters the time of day. So I think you are very, very wrong.

Afterall Lampard brought Bogle through and sent Lowe to improve at Aberdeen. So far all Cocu has done is sell those two. If we don't win some games the rest of our decent youngsters will be picked off for peanuts!

I genuinely believe they are few and far between. 

And your second argument is pretty disingenious. Lampard brought Bogle through sure but as you mentioned he binned off Lowe and brought in Malone. That doesn't exactly scream giving youngsters the time of day. I guess all Cocu has done is sell those two if you exclude him bringing through Knight, Bird, Sibley, Buchanan, giving others like Whittaker starts/minutes and being the manager who gave Lowe the most opportunity.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

but as you mentioned he binned off Lowe and brought in Malone.

He didn't 'bin off' Lowe, else why not sell him to Aberdeen?

Cocu may have also played youngsters but without team success they will just get sold off and maybe other youngsters won't be as keen to come here.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't 'bin off' Lowe, else why not sell him to Aberdeen?

Cocu may have also played youngsters but without team success they will just get sold off and maybe other youngsters won't be as keen to come here.

I don't know what else you would call it really especially when he goes out and signs another left back when we have Fozzy, it's a blocker to any future opportunities and to be honest Lampard is probably one of the better examples out there with his approach to youth.

Define team success because your entire point depends on what exactly you mean here. Are we talking success as in promotion ? As in being in the prem ? All of that will obviously affect how young players view the club. But ultimately a manager is massively responsible in giving academy players time, helping them develop and integrate in terms of first team football. A lot of managers don't have the want or the patience to do any of that.

Youngsters being sold isn't a bad thing per se, in fact it's the model we are moving towards as a club so we can operate and grow somewhat sustainably. 

Just now, brady1993 said:

I don't know what else you would call it really especially when he goes out and signs another left back when we have Fozzy, it's a blocker to any future opportunities...

Errr, no its not. Lowe was obviously better than Malone when he came back and any player needs competition for the spot.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr, no its not. Lowe was obviously better than Malone when he came back and any player needs competition for the spot.

But yet again Lowe was favored to Malone by Cocu not Lampard, I'm doubtful that Malone would have been displaced by Lowe had Lampard remained but either way you can't say and we had competition already. Lampard brought in Malone thinking Lowe wasn't good enough to be second choice after what 1 game ? He chose to go for an established player, someone who must have been on a decent wage rather than give Lowe the time. 

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-wayne-rooney-wants-steve-mcclaren-Derby-staff

I would love to know who is promoting Rooney's agenda. This type of journalism is not positive and from my prospective extremely irrating.

All about opinions but for me he is excess baggage that we no longer need. His impact and commitment, with the exception of the odd free kick, is negligible. We look a far better, mobile, and cohesive unit when he is not involved.

God forbid he ever gets near a managerial/coaching role.

1 hour ago, Pearson. said:

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-wayne-rooney-wants-steve-mcclaren-Derby-staff

I would love to know who is promoting Rooney's agenda. This type of journalism is not positive and from my prospective extremely irrating.

All about opinions but for me he is excess baggage that we no longer need. His impact and commitment, with the exception of the odd free kick, is negligible. We look a far better, mobile, and cohesive unit when he is not involved.

God forbid he ever gets near a managerial/coaching role.

Do you think it’s true then, this agenda? Or is it journalists making stuff up?

Rooney brings a lot to the team, particularly mentally and has obvious ability. His legs look on the way out, but we knew that anyway. 

I think Wayne would seriously consider taking on the manager role here if ever offered it. But he not been and seems to be fully focused on being a player for us and learning about coaching while at it.

Archived