Rooney Out

Posh Ram

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Careful. There are some Ex-librarians on here. It might all kick off. 

@Turk Thrust

Blimey did I own up to that? Yes It’s true I am a lapsed librarian. 6 years in the Wardwick library back in the 60s before I decided I wanted something more exciting so I went to Spain and became a cocktail barman at El Custard Beast in Estartit. Two years of heaven! Women and drink. 

4 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

Rooney haters PICK THAT OUT ?

Nobody hates Rooney.  It should be self evident though that you can't have a 35yr old with 750 games in his legs blowing out his arse for 95 minutes a game in the championship week after week.

Either he becomes less and less effective as the season goes on, or gets a long term injury and whether he plays or not is moot.

Still think he is more effective for 45 minutes as a midfielder or 10.  We'll get a lot more out of him.

11 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

At the risk of angering the jolly mob today, I'd still disagree. 

Rooney as a striker has been dire for us and brings nothing to the team in terms of general play. But he's shown exactly how he should be used today... Bring him on against tired defenses and we're always likely to get some decent deadball chances.

This is where the club and Rooney need to start managing that balance between player and coach. 

13 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

I haven't seen any bile or vitriol directed against Rooney so strange comment. 

Have seen posts about his lack of effort and application in the previous game against Blackburn and his lack of leadership skills as captain which even Rooney himself would agree were fair comment 

I know everyone is rightly euphoric after the win today but let's stick with facts please. 

Last week's criticism justified. Totally different attitude today - the chat was back, discussions with ref, etc. His legs will never be what they were but we need his leadership probably more.  Lovely to see him and coaching team after substitution and At end.

20 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Nobody hates Rooney.  It should be self evident though that you can't have a 35yr old with 750 games in his legs blowing out his arse for 95 minutes a game in the championship week after week.

Either he becomes less and less effective as the season goes on, or gets a long term injury and whether he plays or not is moot.

Still think he is more effective for 45 minutes as a midfielder or 10.  We'll get a lot more out of him.

The title of the thread

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I haven't seen any bile or vitriol directed against Rooney so strange comment. 

Have seen posts about his lack of effort and application in the previous game against Blackburn and his lack of leadership skills as captain which even Rooney himself would agree were fair comment 

I know everyone is rightly euphoric after the win today but let's stick with facts please. 

The title of the thread ..  ?

Rooney is Rooney, still good enough at this level. 

A great goal to give us a very important 3 points, his best position for me is the 10 role, once Waghorn is fit or a new number 9 comes in, he will then be used as a number 10, with Knight, Bird or Shinnie behind him, with Kamel and Ibe or Holmes on the right, and wags or new  up front, and when Bielik is fit he will play with Knight or Bird, that set up is looking alit more like it. 

Thanks for the 3 points today, best players though Davis, Marshall, Bryne, and Rooney's free kick, also Knight energy in the middle was vital. 

Agree his attitude was much better, and he was effectively moved out of the way. Away from where he could drop a few baalocks. 

if everyone is fit the question mark is where he plays. Maybe selected games at no 10. But knight and shinnie have surely grabbed the holding midfield roles now. 

Superb free kick, no doubt about that.

No-one has ever questioned his technical ability and in moments like that, he can be decisive.

That said, I still feel he shouldn’t be central to this team.

An impact player off the bench, sure. Imagine the kicker that comes on for field goals in the NFL.

But at centre forward, central midfield, at number 10, other players get the nod for me.

The pace, the physicality, the intensity - it’s just too much generally speaking.

Not convinced he's fit yet. And playing him is the only way to get fit. There were at least two air-shots he had that might have been great goals. There was some really good movement off the ball. He causes more problems up front, no-one will ignore him. His influence is being under-rated. I thought he grew more into the game after Whittaker came on. 1st name on the team sheet for me.

Attitude was much improved this week and so was his performance. 

He can’t play the DM role unless he’s given time, most team have found him out and press him leading to him making mistakes. He also offers no defensive cover so he’s more quarter back than DM.

I actually think he can offer more as a Martin style striker as he showed today. He has the technical ability and footballing Intelligence as we saw a few times today!

I'm OP, obviously the title of the thread was deliberately provocative, but I did think he deserved to be dropped after his performance against Blackburn where he looked off the pace.

I wouldn't say Rooney played particularly well today other than the goal, but I've never claimed he didn't still have that bit of extra quality, in situations like today he can be a match winner.

It's still only one game but it's good to have him out of the engine room as he's still a good finisher. Not sure where he'll fit in the side if one of Austin/Marriott gets going though.

Archived