Rooney Out

Posh Ram

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Why pick on Rooney he’s been our best player for months. 

I think people have given him a free pass for too long. He often gives the ball away and then the opposition scores. He doesn't suit the side playing in that deep role or by Birds side. He needs to play as a false 9. As soon as he switches to this position we improve.

We are putting unnessarry pressure on Bird and it's completely unfair. Bird is expected to be the legs in that middle two and the opposition know it. They pounce on Bird everytime he recieves it. 

Rooney doesn't play as a pair with Bird. He hinders his so called partner. If Bird is more progressive and drives the ball up the pitch, Rooney can't cover him. In turn Rooney doesn't have the legs to do this. 

This is why Birds performances are dropping. He's constantly out of position because of his partner, knows it, looks up to his partner who is out of position too and he doesn't know what to do with the ball. Bird wants to be 20 yards further up the pitch and you can see it. He wants and needs a partner like Bielik. Someone who he can rely on. 

The Rooney issue is threefold:

- His head doesn’t seem right. I’m not going to speculate the reasons for this but he needs to sort it out.

- He’s been found out, when he first arrived the opposition didn’t know how he would play his role. Fast forward and they know he favours droppping off to the left to pick up the ball to play a diagonal pass. So they stick a player high up watching that zone, they also know to close off the channels when he has the ball, also if they break through the middle he’s not going to tack them despite being the CDM etc, etc.

- Mobility is another problem, the football brain is still there but he’s not able to beat the press he finds himself under often enough leading to under pressure misplaced passes. 

Unfortunately playing him means we play a quarterback who on his day can play passes that break through the lines but he’s not a CDM.

We desperately need an effective CDM hopefully that’s Beilik but till then I’d go with Shinnie to screen the defence 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Why pick on Rooney he’s been our best player for months. 

Well he hasn't to be honest...he was pretty great when he started with us but by the end of last season he was a liability,something that had continued on into this season but getting progressively worse.

It's sad to see but it's true.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well he hasn't to be honest...he was pretty great when he started with us but by the end of last season he was a liability,something that had continued on into this season but getting progressively worse.

It's sad to see but it's true.

Which you wouldn't mind quite so much if his leadership was driving the team on, but I fear that spark and desire has gone. Maybe he is battling that same realisation that he can't do the things he wants.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Imagine playing Wayne Rooney in a deep role and then complaining about his performances.

FFS he’s a forward, use him to his strengths in and around the opposition area rather than our own.
Age is irrelevant, ask Kevin Phillips, Zlatlan ETC. 

I used to think this too, but was shocked the last season of Nugent how suddenly legs went and was a shadow of previous player in a short space of time.

In a good team you could cover for Rooney’s weaknesses but we are not a good team.

Derby reminds me of a jigsaw puzzle made up of lots of pieces from different puzzles and it has been like this for several seasons now. When Rooney first came I thought yes a captain who'll direct the squad and so it was for a short while. But he's no Dave McKay and it's just not working now in this team.

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

Imagine playing Wayne Rooney in a deep role and then complaining about his performances.

FFS he’s a forward, use him to his strengths in and around the opposition area rather than our own.
Age is irrelevant, ask Kevin Phillips, Zlatlan ETC. 

The problem is that the times we've tried playing him further forwards, either as an advanced midfielder or a second striker, he's struggled to get into the game at all. He's playing deeper because he doesn't have the legs to do what he used to at Man Utd. I wouldn't be averse to trying him there again, simply because he'd struggle to be less effective than Marriott, but lets not pretend it hasn't already been tried.

1 hour ago, Mr. Mick L White said:

He looks overweight. His passing is amazing but if he doesn’t have the fitness to close down players he should not play. Elite athletes at his age have to be totally dialed in on diet and fitness. He doesn’t look like he has made the commitment to be physically all can be.

Exactly right. Although it's always been obvious about him, that this was a problem. And, if he had looked after himself like an elite athlete, he wouldn't be playing for us! He's 8 months younger than Ronaldo, for example, but physically they are on different planets.

2 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

He was when he first came, 100 per cent. I don't know whats happened but his form has gone.

Perhaps he's lost the motivation too - you have to want to do it especially at his age. Maybe last season he kept going as long as he could, was overplayed post lock down and now he's not got the conviction. Afterall from what Cocu said he's not the only one!

Archived