Rooney Out

Posh Ram

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Apart from when he first came in, it seems he's not really doing the business on the pitch.

I've never been his biggest fan, but he has been a genuinly world class player at his peak. He's not doing it now. How much is just he's too old, how much is attitude and how much is the team not making the best use of him I do not know, but I don't think he's making our team better and I don't think he has for quite some time.

Prior to his arrival I said that playing for D.C. United in the Major League was probably his level at this stage in his career, and that the Ch'ship might be a tough gig. Some posters shot me down for suggesting such. I actually hoped he would prove me (and others) wrong. It seems that perhaps Wayne can't wait for that final game as a player, after which he will fully transition to coaching / management. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, europia said:

Prior to his arrival I said that playing for D.C. United in the Major League was probably his level at this stage in his career, and that the Ch'ship might be a tough gig. Some posters shot me down for suggesting such. I actually hoped he would prove me (and others) wrong. It seems that perhaps Wayne can't wait for that final game as a player, after which he will fully transition to coaching / management. 

Too far back he is a liability, too far forward he is exposed, somewhere on the tip of a diamond is where he can make a difference.  The new manager needs to utilise him in a better way, he can still be influential.

27 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Apart from when he first came in, it seems he's not really doing the business on the pitch.

I've never been his biggest fan, but he has been a genuinly world class player at his peak. He's not doing it now. How much is just he's too old, how much is attitude and how much is the team not making the best use of him I do not know, but I don't think he's making our team better and I don't think he has for quite some time.

His passing, as has been said, is still very good- though not as consistent as last season. If he plays, it can really only be as a quarterback. Definitely not up front. 

My issue with him is that when he loses the ball, he kind of just stands there as he hasn’t got the legs any more, and expects somebody else to go and do the chasing and get it back. In our position, we cannot carry anyone.

3 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

His passing, as has been said, is still very good- though not as consistent as last season. If he plays, it can really only be as a quarterback. Definitely not up front. 

My issue with him is that when he loses the ball, he kind of just stands there as he hasn’t got the legs any more, and expects somebody else to go and do the chasing and get it back. In our position, we cannot carry anyone.

Lawrence does that and he’s supposed to be in his prime, when Rooney went off on Wednesday against QPR we lost all of our creativity.... which wasn’t a lot!

15 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

tell me how that is different from Tom?

His passing from the quarterback position is great to see. Opens up his body and pings it out the wideman on the diagonal.

Unfortunately, while great to see, it's also piss easy to defend against. The ball is in the air for 5 seconds while winging its way, which is ample time for at least two players to get in position and defend it.

His dead ball delivery is either a floated in free kick from out wide, or a whipped corner to the front of the near post, neither of which should be threatening, and rarely are.

His talent is such that he shouldn't be this poor at his age, yet his failure to really live the life off the pitch has rapidly caught up with him.

Ronaldo is the same age, Zlatan even older, yet they still contribute at much higher levels because they live the correct lifestyle.

Not sure why Rooney is getting pelters. He has played ok’ish this season, about the standard of an elderly, middling/bottom half championship player. Still a good technician, but unfortunately lost his sharpness and his legs have gone. But why give him pelters? His defects were known to us when we acquired him.  Once a great player, he lost it really around 30. Left Man U on a free, and then allowed to leave Everton half way through a two year contract to ply his trade for a low ranked American Franchise. Don’t recall him doing anything too wonderful over there, other than one long range effort. He was contracted by Mel for his profile. We’re all enjoying his profile aren’t we?

21 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Not sure why Rooney is getting pelters. He has played ok’ish this season, about the standard of an elderly, middling/bottom half championship player. Still a good technician, but unfortunately lost his sharpness and his legs have gone. But why give him pelters? His defects were known to us when we acquired him.  Once a great player, he lost it really around 30. Left Man U on a free, and then allowed to leave Everton half way through a two year contract to ply his trade for a low ranked American Franchise. Don’t recall him doing anything too wonderful over there, other than one long range effort. He was contracted by Mel for his profile. We’re all enjoying his profile aren’t we?

The reason he is getting pelters is because he’s not Archie Gemmill. A player that had Derby County in his core and, though his legs had gone, gave everything in 1983 to keep Derby up. Broke his heart that his last season with us saw us relegated to the third division. Rooney was an amazing player - better than Archie- but his heart will never be with Derby County. He’ll be a Man Utd and England hero but never a Derby (or even hometown Everton) hero. He’s here to still play, while he can,  at a reasonable level and we want some shirt sales. After almost a year it’s got a bit boring/stale for both parties. 

Thanks Wayne. Didn’t quite work out and you’re not going to find yourself on the wall next to Gemmill, MacFarland, Mackay, Hector and Stimac but it was worth a go. 

2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Rooney getting the blame when the players around him, who are generally highly paid professionals, are no different and need to look in the mirror 

Agree ,although not a great fan of wayne, but certainly shouldn't be playing as a forward for us, if he has a place in the team we need to use him to distribute the play from midfield ,motivate and organise the team.

I have to say this deal looked a brainless one from day one.

The only way it was ever going to be a success is if we got promoted.

Instead we are closer to League 1 than the Premier League.

Is it any wonder the team looks so broken and dispirited when one player earns significantly more than the rest, seemingly is guaranteed a start in every game regardless of fitness or performance and hasn’t justified it where it matters most - on the pitch?

Find it a bit weird that the player who scored the winning goal in our only league victory this season is getting so much abuse.

Like we have so many other players that have scored for fun so far. Just the feat of managing to score a goal separates him from the rest of his peers straight away.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Find it a bit weird that the player who scored the winning goal in our only league victory this season is getting so much abuse.

Like we have so many other players that have scored for fun so far. Just the feat of managing to score a goal separates him from the rest of his peers straight away.

That’s one game. Two in the last 18 games where he has had a meaningful contribution stretching back to July.

If you are paying a player somewhere between £50,000 - 100,000 a week and you’re in the Championship, that level of contribution is simply not going to cut it.

Archived