Rooney Out

Posh Ram

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should look back at his recent displays with Derby and make a decision. Do I really like playing football for this, or any other team? I suggest his optimism in playing is now ebbing away. He seems his heart is elsewhere away from the pitch. Will he make a good coach? On his recent displays, with his leadership with the younger players and it seems, no fire in his belly, I doubt it. Very sad!

He did some decent things going forwards.

But.........he’s playing mostly in a defensive position but offers zero defensive cover.

Doesnt press the ball

Often caught out of position

No leadership despite vast experience 

Lack of effort, etc etc

We can’t afford to carry him at the moment and I’d prefer to see Shinnie in with Bird who would shield the defence better.

Shame

Hate singling out players but Rooney was woeful today.

Yes, there were some nice little touches & the odd flash of intensity. Overall though, he looked too casual & not befitting of a captain or on pitch leader. The passes that led to the 1st & 4th goals were bad enough but the lack of desire to atone for those mistakes is totally unacceptable (he was also closest to Johnson for the second but barely closed down). For a man of his experience, I was also taken back by how little he offered in terms of encouragement or on-pitch instruction...he looked as lost as the rest.

When he arrived in January, I was impressed by not only his quality but his vocality and leadership. Remember him tearing a strip off Marriott for a casual attempt v Barnsley & thought that was exactly the winners mentality we needed. Since the resumption post-lockdown though, he's been sauntering around & I can't have been the only person to have noticed his physique had deteriorated when he returned.

There is still quality there but if the attitude isnt right, he's just window dressing. As a side, we need to up tempo & workrate and he is currently incompatible with that. It may be painful weaning the team off his dead ball threat & celebrity status but I think its something Cocu should consider.

I think it’s fine to hold Rooney to higher standards he’s a former england captain and greatest goal scorer. 

He literally strolls around, loses the ball and either hasn’t got the legs or the heart to try and win it back. 

His corners have been crap for ages. 

Now these criticisms might seem harsh or over the top for just a ‘Derby player’ but someone with Rooneys history and pedigree has to be better than this. It should be the young lads making the mistakes and him helping them recover - instead he’s compounding their errors with errors of his own. 

Goal 4 may be harsh to blame on him but his inability to make that 10 yard pass he needed to make led to the first goal and that’s the beginning of the capitulation. 

Before lockdown he was brilliant. Since project restart he’s been below par. 

It’s a tricky one because we do have to see him as a proper luxury player. To get the best out of him you almost need two players specifically designated to buzz around him, winning the ball and feeding it to him. Is the result worth the effort? I’m not sure it is and would probably agree with some earlier posts that the overall contribution of a pairing like Holmes and Shinnie would be more mobile, more committed and better able to shield the back four. 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think it’s fine to hold Rooney to higher standards he’s a former england captain and greatest goal scorer. 

He literally strolls around, loses the ball and either hasn’t got the legs or the heart to try and win it back. 

His corners have been crap for ages. 

Now these criticisms might seem harsh or over the top for just a ‘Derby player’ but someone with Rooneys history and pedigree has to be better than this. It should be the young lads making the mistakes and him helping them recover - instead he’s compounding their errors with errors of his own. 

Goal 4 may be harsh to blame on him but his inability to make that 10 yard pass he needed to make led to the first goal and that’s the beginning of the capitulation. 

Before lockdown he was brilliant. Since project restart he’s been below par. 

Exactly, held to higher standards because of his past, and the fact his present sees him earn multiples more than his teammates.

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Exactly, held to higher standards because of his past, and the fact his present sees him earn multiples more than his teammates.

Another good point I hadn’t considered. 
He certainly isn’t playing twice as well as the others and you can imagine he’s on at least double (being conservative). 

31 minutes ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

How is Rooney getting slack? We massively improved when he joined and i actually think hes still doing ok. He showed moments of class today but admittedly at fault for goal 4.

I think he needs to play AM though.

Max Bird escapes criticism all the time! So overrated.

Agree on Max Bird but Cocu makes him a captain  say no more that tells you  a story . Personally i think Bird Whitaker Sibley are all overrated don't tell me there young there not good enough Sibley scores 3 at Milkwall tell me the last time he had a good game.

Bird plays sideways passes all day easy ball no forward passes .

Whitakers a lightweight simply not good enough .

Mel's statement of 50% of this season's team must be accadmey players is worrying and dangerous. 

We are so lightweight in every position it's worrying.

Archived