Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Mafiabob

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

We're all upset with how the game played out today but it's getting a bit weird how much you're laying into Te Wierik. Nobody reckons he's played particularly well in any of the games it's just we're not writing him off after 2 (3 as Preston are in our division) appearances in a notoriously difficult league to adapt to. I'm all for calls to drop him , they'd be reasonable after how he's started but to suggest 'get rid' after so few games is completely irrational.

I don't think he's redeemable. I've seen the other players play well. Him, not once. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

It’s been 3 games man!

I never said that he is going to send us into League one, just that if he is then we shouldn't give him any more time. This is not part of the job description. If we are looking like getting relegated, he's failed at Derby. Simple as that.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not biased on Te Wierik at all, I just don't get what he's good at. He's no great distributor, nor in the air, nor in the tackle, and I've now see him get bullied in every game he's played. Wisdom was at LCB which isn't his position, Buchanan is young, and Byrne was poor too. But Byrne was good going forward. 

I think he’s got the potential to be a Tomori type. He’s got a good touch, he’s pretty quick and I reckon he’s a pretty good passer as well. Nowhere near as good obviously, but that sort of player. You’re never going to see it playing him next to an out of position Wisdom, but I think, with a proper manager who can coach a defence working with him, you could see that player. Our team is not a good environment for any defender at the moment, their seems to be no organisation or plan at the back. Just like they’ve been sent out there without instruction.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I never said that he is going to send us into League one, just that if he is then we shouldn't give him any more time. This is not part of the job description. If we are looking like getting relegated, he's failed at Derby. Simple as that.

Fair enough. But, we won’t know if we’re looking like getting relegate until we’re past the half way point of the season. That’s all I was getting at. We looked like getting relegated under Jim Smith after 10 games and we got promoted. Time will tell.

MTW will look better next to Clarke or Davies ...some good defenders struggled last season at clubs that got relegated....and Stoke had a couple of decent centre backs who also took time to adjust to the championship ....its  not the most technical league in the world but I'd say its still a difficult league for ball playing CB's 

This is where Cocu may well struggle is the fact that its difficult to play possesion football in this league without high energy to back it up ....eg Leeds United...play nice stuff but all importantly have high press energy.....we look slow and laboured in midfield and today the back 4 was without leaders on the pitch...MTW did look poor i agree but he was not alone ...i thought Wisdom's distribution was woeful and Buchanan only looked good in the second half when playing higher.... but Buchanan is a young kid learning and MTW needs time and not to be paired with a RB playing CB....just my opinion 

Something has gone wrong since the run of undefeated games towards the end of last season and I haven't got a clue what it is.

Has Cocu lost the dressing room?

Have the players decided they don't like the way he sets the team up to play?

Are the players just not good enough?

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I think he’s got the potential to be a Tomori type. He’s got a good touch, he’s pretty quick and I reckon he’s a pretty good passer as well. Nowhere near as good obviously, but that sort of player. You’re never going to see it playing him next to an out of position Wisdom, but I think, with a proper manager who can coach a defence working with him, you could see that player. Our team is not a good environment for any defender at the moment, their seems to be no organisation or plan at the back. Just like they’ve been sent out there without instruction.

Or we're one short in midfield because the most experienced Captain gives the ball away and doesn't chase back.

Perhaps he needs a better manager to motivate him?

Sheesh.

Just now, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

Fair enough. But, we won’t know if we’re looking like getting relegate until we’re past the half way point of the season. That’s all I was getting at. We looked like getting relegated under Jim Smith after 10 games and we got promoted. Time will tell.

On a side note, I do also wonder how much there being no crowd is affecting team performance, if at all. No home fans to intimidate opposition players or give our players a lift when needed. There’s defo. been some strange results around the country since matches went behind closed doors. 

Just now, IslandExile said:

Or we're one short in midfield because the most experienced Captain gives the ball away and doesn't chase back.

Perhaps he needs a better manager to motivate him?

Sheesh.

Oh don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty I could say about Rooney. If I was manager I’d have probably told him to duck off home at half time, since that’s where he clearly would have rather been. Doesn’t play for me until he can sort his attitude out.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree there is a good player in there. Under this manager, no. Mike needs to be told that in this league it's tough. You get stuck in. Tight to your man, leave a mark on them, long balls over the top are common, attackers don't just let you pass or clear the ball, they will close down that spa e and come in hard on you. 

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty I could say about Rooney. If I was manager I’d have probably told him to duck off home at half time, since that’s where he clearly would have rather been. Doesn’t play for me until he can sort his attitude out.

I fear it might be out of the manager's hands and part of the contract/sponsorship deal.

That certainly isn't helping the cause.... At the very least, it's carrying a passenger, maybe worse in that the respect the players have they give the ball to Robert who then gives it away. But, at worse, he could be disrupting the dressing room and undermining the manager.

I loved Colin Todd the player but the rumours that he undermined TBE, when he was his assistant, broke my heart. I hope they weren't true.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Tomori type???? You may have been proven correct on Vydra but no chance on this one. Tomori was a physical specimen - Te Weirik is built like Rodney Trotter. Not fast. Only similarity with Tomori is that he can’t head a ball either.

I’m not scapegoating MTW for today by the way. Down to the whole team - especially midfield pairing. But am concerned about Te Wierik in this league. 

25 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Not sure what point you are trying to make here? Why is Blackburn any less of a challenge than the other teams you mentioned. Before last year you could have said the same about Brentford and before Bielsa the same about Leeds. We don't have a god given right to beat any team and this early we have no idea who the top teams in the division will be.

Of course we haven't got a god given right to beat anyone. I never said that.

It's about being competitive. Some teams are clearly better in every department, so you can rationalise and stomach a heavy loss.

We finished 10th and Blackburn finished 11th in the same league only a matter weeks ago.

It's not the loss. In the Championship, you can often lose to teams of a similar or lesser quality. It's the manner of the loss.

Now you could be right and Blackburn could turn out to be one of the best sides in this division this season and hand out more hammerings of this nature. But equally it could just be a case of them simply picking off a team in crisis, or in the case of Wycombe the previous week, a team out of their depth.

Let's see.

It's very early days and hopefully Te-Weirik will come good but I think it is fair to say he has started badly. Hopefully he'll know this and improve soon. I don't understand why Clarke was dropped for him today as he hasn't shown enough IMO to come straight back in and a Clarke-Wisdom pairing would have been more balanced I think. Te-Weirik looked best to me when he played wing-back for part of a game - Barrow? 

Having now heard the interviews, I don’t think a Rooney’s interview was bad. He wasn’t digging out Sibley or questioning the attitude. It was a better interview than Cocu’s.

cocu blamed the attitude of players, but I don’t see poor attitude.

The cause of the failure is all down to team selection, and tinkering.

too much tinkering upset the back four, playing wisdom out of position and dropping Clarke.
we can’t keep chopping and changing. Players need to get to know one another.
The first goal just came from an error with Rooney’s pass to Marriott being picked up. Two strides later and they are bearing down on an exposed back four. The second exposes Rooney. He made little or no effort to close down Bradley Johnson. For the third, how bizarre Is it that Jason knight is playing centre half and then chasing his own header. For the fourth there is the flaw of three at the back with a sweeper. Evans is so much deeper than the others that Blackburn have space to charge into, and te wierik is left floundering. 
he takes off our only striker at 0-3 and switches system. Players heads must be spinning. 
he asks Rooney to play up front which he can’t do. 
And when we had chances jozwiak had to keep transferring the ball onto his right foot. So he spoons one wide, and fails to find Sibley when well placed In the second half. 

football can be cruel. Today we started ok but then fell apart.
 It does feel like he is losing the plot.

47 minutes ago, enachops said:

If his surname wasn’t Te Weirik would you think he was a good footballing centre half? 

Albeit he has only had 2 games, he looks anything but. Normally you can see glimpses of things to come from a player, I see nothing from him. Physically weak, got bullied by bloody Ben Bereton. He’s a poor mans Keogh. We’ve missed him badly. Happy to be proven wrong! Today was a car crash - excuse the pun. Only way is up after that absolute turd of a performance. 

Ben Brereton is a pretty good footballer, but builds his game on blatantly backing into his defender to the point of pushing him over, diving the moment he is tackled or stopped from getting a pass, and was ably abetted by the ref today. Williams was playing the same game too. When your team is 3-0 up after 15 minutes, why the need to cheat so obviously? And why did the ref let it happen?

Actually, despite my usual rants about the match officials, that and the first penalty shout were about the only things they got wrong today.

44 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

On a side note, I do also wonder how much there being no crowd is affecting team performance, if at all. No home fans to intimidate opposition players or give our players a lift when needed. There’s defo. been some strange results around the country since matches went behind closed doors. 

Behave now. Intimidating home crowd? There's more atmosphere in a mausoleum on match days. 

Archived