Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Mafiabob

I, like most fans really want the manager of the club to do well. With everything Cocu has had thrown at him, to act with such gentlemanly conduct and grace throughout such a turbulent year is a testament to the bloke, i really hope it works for him. That said, Phil ffs stop tinkering, pick a team, let it settle, we need a siege mentality to get through to 10 games and then hopefully missing players will be back. Get something that resembles a spine in the team, especially in the middle of the park, yesterday we was over-run in midfield leaving a new defence exposed . Good luck ?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ossieram said:

Something has gone wrong since the run of undefeated games towards the end of last season and I haven't got a clue what it is.

Has Cocu lost the dressing room?

Have the players decided they don't like the way he sets the team up to play?

Are the players just not good enough?

Rooney was the key. Most games he controlled midfield from what clips/full matches I saw. It's not the same now since his form has dipped.

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Yeah I’m pretty sure. The bloke at Reading didn’t even get a pre-season with his players and yet already he has managed to get them to the top of the Championship playing strong direct attractive football that works at this level. Someone like Paul Cook would have our squad storming up this league playing decent football while carefully blooding the young players rather than throwing half the U-23’s in at once and expecting them to be ready (although that is more our useless chairman’s doing).

I think you're deluding yourself if you believe that the squad of players we have is capable 'strong, direct' football. Whereas Reading's squad has been built for that for a while. The manager simply has to embrace that, there's nothing to change or develop.

We have no strength or pace in the team, no runners, nobody who can physically impose themselves on the opposition.

We get bullied every match. We're not going to turn from a team of

88sHEGn3TUf9pfehjKUVhR_qbvzeWbNJMWTh5S0x

to a team of

72094359.jpg?resizemode=4&width=400

and start pushing other teams around, especially with no hold up striker to cause defences a problem.

14 minutes ago, jcidaho said:

Massive hindsight, but also thought at the time it was odd to let Bradley go, given he's the option of an imposing figure in the middle. Might not always be a first choice, but we're in dire need of his ilk right now.

My opinion is BJ  was let go for financial purpose,s  ... rumoured to be on astronomical wages at Derby  plus had a year of his contract left ...  but would welcome him back ?

44 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

My opinion is BJ  was let go for financial purpose,s  ... rumoured to be on astronomical wages at Derby  plus had a year of his contract left ...  but would welcome him back ?

His contract expired but was then extended probably for FFP purposes rather than wanting to retain his services

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

His contract expired but was then extended probably for FFP purposes rather than wanting to retain his services

I stand corrected Ref ; Contract ...    It's possible his performance yesterday  gave me pause for thought  THAT WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT HIM ...   it may have been a one off ? 

Johnson leaving wasn't in itself a mistake. He was mostly terrible for us, however  he became quite useful  in the end because we needed someone in the middle with a bit of bite and battle in them and his opposition for this spot in the team was either Tom Huddlestone or Max Bird.

He didn't exactly set the world alight for Blackburn last season either.

It's not really about losing Johnson, who was and is pretty limited, it's one of his replacement being crocked and one of them not being quite good enough, leaving us in the same position we were when Johnson was previously elevated to being the answer.

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Get over it mate 

It is relevant to the discussions as to why we are in a mess at the start of the season. Its nothing to do with Martin per se. We've essentially played the start of the season with noone to score in the box, hold the ball and play people in. His time here may have been quite rightly up but he has gone to strengthen opposition when we have noone to play there. Its not a case of holding a candle for Martin but an indication of how things are being run behind the scenes. 

Just now, CBRammette said:

It is relevant to the discussions as to why we are in a mess at the start of the season. Its nothing to do with Martin per se. We've essentially played the start of the season with noone to score in the box, hold the ball and play people in. His time here may have been quite rightly up but he has gone to strengthen opposition when we have noone to play there. Its not a case of holding a candle for Martin but an indication of how things are being run behind the scenes. 

Would you have kept BJ then on another contract and same with Martin no matter the cost. 

Archived